• 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:02 AM

Submission courtesy of mike101

Posted Image

Band: Alice in Chains
Album: "Dirt"

This was the break through album for Alice in Chains, it catapulted them to fame and crowned them one of the leading bands of the "grunge" scene along with bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

The album was littered with references to drug use and all the hardships it had caused Layne Staley. He wrote from the heart on this album and talked painfully true about the downs of addictions and really helped to promote an anti-drugs image. Layne was once quoted to have said, "Why do people still take drugs? Don't they listen to my songs?" Layne payed the ultimate price for his drug addiction when he overdosed and died but at least he can rest in peace in the hope he has warned off some from taking the same route he did.

This album sees the band produce some of the best work of the careers. The album is packed with classics that are timeless. "Angry Chair" "Would?" & "Down in a Hole" close the album and its a spectacular finish to an amazing album.

This album features some of my favourite lyrics ever, they conjure up so much imagery and every time Layne sings you can feel the passion and true emotion through every word. The track "Down in a Hole" features possibly my favourite lyric ever, "I've eaten the sun so my tongue has been burned of the taste."

While others albums have influenced people musically i believe this album has been an influence in two different ways. Firstly, this is an amazing album musically and has influenced many people. I even believe some of the tracks on the Metallica album "St. Anger" have been highly influenced by Alice in Chains. This album has been on a influence on bands post alice and older bands taking new ideas from them. I also believe this album has been an influence in a different way other than
musically. This album has also been a comfort to people. People can listen to this album and relate to it. I also believe this album has been in influence on peoples lives, hopefully putting people off using drugs.

Overall this album is definitely influential and a essential release.

#2 xxsharpglassxx

xxsharpglassxx
  • 41 posts
  • Original Name: xxsharpglassxx

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

I agree wholeheartedly, I own this album and I'd like to say that is an excellent album.

#3 decibel

decibel

Interstellar Overdrive

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Original Name: decibel

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:12 AM

are 'Alice In Chains" the equivalent of something like Marilyn Manson today?
IPB Image

#4 mike101

mike101
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Original Name: mike101

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:08 PM

not quite sure what u mean... but alice in chains are nothing like marilyn manson.

#5 decibel

decibel

Interstellar Overdrive

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

not quite sure what u mean... but alice in chains are nothing like marilyn manson.

yeh, ive never actually heard them. But the bloke looks weird, like marilyn manson. Maybe he got his ideas from alice in chains. I'll download some of their stuff now.

Dave
IPB Image

#6 mike101

mike101
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:17 PM

angry chair is a classic.

dam that river
grind
sickman
would?
bleed the freak

all awesome check them out theres soo many more but thats a good start.

#7 decibel

decibel

Interstellar Overdrive

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:21 PM

angry chair is a classic.

dam that river
grind
sickman
would?
bleed the freak

all awesome check them out theres soo many more but thats a good start.

ah, nice one man. This is not in my usual territory (i'm an indie rock fan) but i'm willing to try anything! hehe.

Dave.
IPB Image

#8 mike101

mike101
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

there awesome! u might not like them if your into indie but u never now till u try...

#9 smashamp47

smashamp47
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • Original Name: smashamp47

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:28 AM

Excellent review for a kickass album. I actually prefer Jar of Flies but Dirt and JoF are totally different albums and each have thier own mood.

#10 mojomaniac

mojomaniac
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts
  • Original Name: mojomaniac

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:12 AM

ROOSTER! Why hasn't Rooster got a mention yet, thats the greatest song on the album!

Fine album it is too, nice review.
[b]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>One Dead Dream <<< NEW TRACK UP!!!</span>

#11 Middle Finger Response

Middle Finger Response
  • 31 posts
  • Original Name: Middle Finger Response

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:49 AM

Submission courtesy of mike101

Posted Image

Band: Alice in Chains
Album: "Dirt"

This was the break through album for Alice in Chains, it catapulted them to fame and crowned them one of the leading bands of the "grunge" scene along with bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

The album was littered with references to drug use and all the hardships it had caused Layne Staley. He wrote from the heart on this album and talked painfully true about the downs of addictions and really helped to promote an anti-drugs image. Layne was once quoted to have said, "Why do people still take drugs? Don't they listen to my songs?" Layne payed the ultimate price for his drug addiction when he overdosed and died but at least he can rest in peace in the hope he has warned off some from taking the same route he did.

This album sees the band produce some of the best work of the careers. The album is packed with classics that are timeless. "Angry Chair" "Would?" & "Down in a Hole" close the album and its a spectacular finish to an amazing album.

This album features some of my favourite lyrics ever, they conjure up so much imagery and every time Layne sings you can feel the passion and true emotion through every word. The track "Down in a Hole" features possibly my favourite lyric ever, "I've eaten the sun so my tongue has been burned of the taste."

While others albums have influenced people musically i believe this album has been an influence in two different ways. Firstly, this is an amazing album musically and has influenced many people. I even believe some of the tracks on the Metallica album "St. Anger" have been highly influenced by Alice in Chains. This album has been on a influence on bands post alice and older bands taking new ideas from them. I also believe this album has been an influence in a different way other than
musically. This album has also been a comfort to people. People can listen to this album and relate to it. I also believe this album has been in influence on peoples lives, hopefully putting people off using drugs.

Overall this album is definitely influential and a essential release.

Couldn't agree more..
I have that album right here next to my comp, in fact i'm listening to it.. hehe I refuse to let it out of my sight, but I like "Facelift" too.. they have a more grunge-rock sound in that album.. Well they are my fave' band ever, no doubt there.. so I love everything they've made.. - also love some of their old songs like: Chemical Addiction - a REALLY good song.. they've inspired me and my band a lot.

#12 metal432

metal432
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Original Name: metal432

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

EXCELLENT review, man. Just by reading it, you reminded me of how long it's been since I've listened to these musical geniuses. Alice in Chains rocked so much... so underrated.
Ralph Wiggum - I dress myself! When I grow up I'm going to bovine university! I heard your dad went into a resturaunt and ate everything in the resturaunt and they had to close the resturaunt. Was Abraham Lincoln ok? Me fail english? Thats unpossible!. Will you open my milk mommy? I bent my wookie!

#13 The Smashing Pumpkin

The Smashing Pumpkin

Evacool

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Original Name: The Smashing Pumpkin

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

AIC is one of my all time favourite bands. But I don't see why a large fraction of kickass and influencial bands get screwed because of drugs, suicide, and other things of that sort.....Drugs killed Layne Staley and a whole lot more rock stars that influenced me to play the guitar, get in a band, and attempt to do what they did, without the drugs and suicide. Anyway, I'd rather not change this topic into drugs and so on, so I'm done.

Edited by The Smashing Pumpkin, 22 July 2004 - 05:16 PM.

user posted image

Claudio from Coheed and Cambria

#14 divot

divot
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Original Name: divot

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:40 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with the review. Alicew in Chains are one of my favorite bands, and this is one of my favorite albums.

#15 itlof

itlof
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Original Name: itlof

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:44 PM

this album is simply brilliant, they kind of got lumped in with grunge but i think they should be labeled as heavy metal. either way layne staley and jerry cantrell do amazing and haunting melodies, jerry cantrell has influenced me amazingly as well as this album on my musical tastes. i think this is actually the first metal album i ever bought.

RIP Layne Staley

#16 metallicac/dc

metallicac/dc

Θηρόποσα Χε

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,354 posts
  • Original Name: metallicac/dc

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:03 PM

easily their best album. so much good songs and guitar work on this
Posted Image

#17 waz416

waz416
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts
  • Original Name: waz416

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:49 PM

OK.......LAYNE WAS NOT THE MAIN WRITER......!!!!!!!!!!!.........all the songs were pretty much written by JERRY CANTRELL.......!!!!!!!!!!..........and all the drug refrences were made by him about his past addiction problems.........LAYNE only wrote Junkhead, Godsmack and Angry chiar...........the rest is JERRY......!!!!!!!!.....so please give Jerry the Credit he deserves........teh only HIT songs Layne wrote were again, Main in the box and Angry Chair........the rest is Jerry...............I mena I love Jerry hes my Vocal Idol..........but u cannot attribute him with somehting he didnt do ........!!!!!!!!............PEAC EOUT
My Itunes Album : BUY IT <a href="http://www.apple.com...e.com/wasim</a>

#18 Mercury@May

Mercury@May
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Original Name: Mercury@May

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:44 AM

ROOSTER! Why hasn't Rooster got a mention yet, thats the greatest song on the album!

damn right! Rooster, Rain When I Die.
They're all great songs. Whenever I hear Junkhead I get really angry. I like to think Stayley was being ironic when he wrote that and was commenting on his own denial.
But Jerry Cantrell's guitars perk you up whenever you hear them. Cantrell writes pretty dark lyrics as well but he goes further than that. Rooster is the best song on the album.
user posted image
Buckley's only vice...

#19 Mercury@May

Mercury@May
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  • Original Name: Mercury@May

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:46 AM

And please add Jar of Flies. I listened to that one first and its still my favourite. After that add Facelift. It seems like you've only put in Dirt cause it was part of the big Grunge breakthrough.
user posted image
Buckley's only vice...

#20 xplizit

xplizit
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,000 posts
  • Original Name: xplizit

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:05 AM

I've got Jar of Flies and SAP (double album), and like it alot. Heard some songs of of Dirt, and it's on my to-buy list. biggrin.gif
IPB Image
'Slow night in a Desolate City'

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...