* * - - - 11 votes

Official GTU Greatest Guitarist Poll

1591 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the GTU Greatest Guitarist? (2161 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the GTU Greatest Guitarist?

1. Duane Allman (22 votes [1.17%])

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

2. Jeff Beck (28 votes [1.49%])

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

3. Eric Clapton (159 votes [8.48%])

Percentage of vote: 8.48%

4. Rory Gallagher (44 votes [2.35%])

Percentage of vote: 2.35%

5. Dave Gilmour (74 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

6. Peter Green (6 votes [0.32%])

Percentage of vote: 0.32%

7. Kirk Hammett (70 votes [3.74%])

Percentage of vote: 3.74%

8. Jimi Hendrix (401 votes [21.40%])

Percentage of vote: 21.40%

9. Tony Iommi (16 votes [0.85%])

Percentage of vote: 0.85%

10. Eric Johnson (13 votes [0.69%])

Percentage of vote: 0.69%

11. B.B King (38 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

12. Jimmy Page (264 votes [14.09%])

Percentage of vote: 14.09%

13. John Petrucci (44 votes [2.35%])

Percentage of vote: 2.35%

14. Randy Rhoads (77 votes [4.11%])

Percentage of vote: 4.11%

15. Joe Satriani (70 votes [3.74%])

Percentage of vote: 3.74%

16. Slash (157 votes [8.38%])

Percentage of vote: 8.38%

17. Steve Vai (74 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

18. Eddie Van Halen (114 votes [6.08%])

Percentage of vote: 6.08%

19. Stevie Ray Vaughan (132 votes [7.04%])

Percentage of vote: 7.04%

20. Angus Young (71 votes [3.79%])

Percentage of vote: 3.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1541 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,995 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

still can't believe no Brian May!!!!!

Well life just ain`t fair is it!

#1542 Bigkeith

Bigkeith
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Bigkeith

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Go steve vai!

#1543 gwapongamark

gwapongamark
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: gwapongamark

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

I voted Dave Gilmour. Or Gilmore. I'm sure I'll learn how to spell it eventually...

still can't believe no Brian May!!!!!

Well life just ain`t fair is it!

me too, i still cant believe about it..hahaist life really..

I voted Dave Gilmour. Or Gilmore. I'm sure I'll learn how to spell it eventually...

#1544 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

No Johnny Marr :mellowno:

#1545 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:14 AM

Jimmy Page. He is obviously superior to Hendrix. I'll give some reasons why. First of all, he is much more versatile. Page played and played well everything from The Song Remains The Same, to Black Dog, to D'yer Mak'er, to How Many More Times, to Fool In The Rain, to Dazed And Confused, and many more. Hendrix just wasn't as versatile. Second, look how their careers turned out. Hendrix died almost 40 years ago, while Page is still releasing various compilations of music he recorded in the past. The following doesn't have much to do with guitar playing, but Page is a much better businessman. Hendrix was taken advantage of by producers and stuff because he was always doped up and not completely sober. His producers literally made hundreds of thousands of dollars IN CASH that should have gone to Jimi.

Don't get me wrong, Jimi Hendrix is definitely in my top 10, but he's not better than Jimmy Page.

PS: I have no idea why Angus and Hammett are in this poll, but Alex Lifeson isn't. It just proves that Lifeson is the most underrated guitarist of all time, since his level of skill is MUCH higher than Angus's. Think: The guitar work in It's A Long Way To The Top vs. La Villa Strangiato

Well thats your opinion, one i completely disagree with. Hendrix was a far more inventive, and inovative player, Page spent half his time stealing licks and riffs from other guitarists.

#1546 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

Rick replying to an almost 2 year old post. The old man has finally lost it :P

#1547 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:06 AM

To me, what really matters is not that the post is 2 years old but that Rick's reply was spot on. Someone had to say what he said sooner or later, which means I also totally disagree with that poster's (old) opinion. As they say, better late than never.

#1548 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

Rick replying to an almost 2 year old post. The old man has finally lost it :P

:laugh2: Lost it the day i joined GTU.

#1549 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

I wish I could change my vote, then again the guy I would vote for isn't on the list. Several years ago I was a bit more naive then I am now and have concluded that Jimmy Page really isn't as good as most of the guys I listen to now. I think in that span of time I have started listening to a lot of different kinds of bands and some guitar player are not as good as others but their songs are of better quality for one reason or another. I really like simplistic guitar players who don't try too hard, but then again I also like the guys who are ridiculously creative with their guitar playing and have written some amazing bodies of work. In the time since this thread was created I would say there are more then a few guys who I would take off that list and replace them with other players for one reason or another. Sonny Landreth for instance, in my mind the greatest slide guitar player out there, he took what Duane Allman was great at to a completely new level and if you really want to listen to a guy play really well, I suggest checking him out.

I am kinda disappointed these days that Alex Lifeson isn't on the list, he is a great guitar player for so many reasons, whether or not you can stand Geddy Lee's voice, there is no denying that Alex is an incredible guitarist. Listen to 2112, The Fountain of Lamneth, La Villa Strangiato, Cygnus X-1 from Hemispheres or The Necromancer, all just great bodies of work from a writing standpoint and features some excellent guitar playing. Never understood the hate for Rush, I think when it comes to being great progressive song writers they are one of the best and really pushed the boundaries of rock music.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 03 June 2011 - 03:47 PM.

#1550 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

To me, what really matters is not that the post is 2 years old but that Rick's reply was spot on. Someone had to say what he said sooner or later, which means I also totally disagree with that poster's (old) opinion. As they say, better late than never.

he he, as you know i don't come around here much any more, and to be honest don't read that much. But i was just skipping through this thread, and i read that comment, and thought i just had to reply. I did not look at the date it was made, but whenever it was made, it was complete rubbish (imo).

Anyway hope you are keeping well orio, and all is good in your neck of the woods.

#1551 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

he he, as you know i don't come around here much any more, and to be honest don't read that much. But i was just skipping through this thread, and i read that comment, and thought i just had to reply. I did not look at the date it was made, but whenever it was made, it was complete rubbish (imo).

Anyway hope you are keeping well orio, and all is good in your neck of the woods.

I would have reacted too if I had spotted this post before. To say Page was superior or better than Hendrix was of course a matter of opinion but to say "Hendrix just wasn't as versatile as Page" is not correct. Hendrix was in perpetual evolution and he pretty much revolutionized electric guitar. I think Jimmy Page was (still is) good and his contribution to music has been important though as you pointed out there were occasions when he plagiarised other artists but he's hardly comparable to Hendrix. If we must compare Jimmy Page with other guitarists let's compare him with Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton. And even then I would say Jimmy Page is not the best of the trio!

As for me it's a peaceful life. I'm not posting much either these days but I read.

Good to see you're still posting I trust it's all good for you and Sharon in Oz :cheers:

'orio'

It's funny that you made this typo I still remember that when I joined I wanted to call myself d'orio but the primitive 2002 software wouldn't let me, so I went for dorio.

#1552 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

Maybe this is just my opinion, but comparing Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page now to Jeff Beck seems odd. I have listened to a reasonable amount of his work and there is no way either of those two up until this point have done what he has musically and the scary thing is, to me he just keeps getting better with every album. His Les Paul tribute album was incredible, Emotion and Commotion is quite possibly one of the most expressive records I have heard from any guitar player ever. Hendrix and Beck are in their own territories as far as I am concerned, Hendrix was an innovator and really took the electric guitar as well as song writing to a whole new level while Beck continues to prove why he is quite possibly the most versatile guitar player period since he can play pretty much any genre of music he wants and still do it exceptionally well.

#1553 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:35 AM

Ñaaah the comparison is perfectly natural they've been compared one billion times maybe (see the Yardbirds story and all that) though personally I think the three of them have more differences than similarities. I agree with you about Jeff Beck, he's simply amazing.

Eric Clapton's "Layla" with Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, one of those moments when Clapton and Beck didn't sound that different:

#1554 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

Yeah but only Clapton and Beck have continued their musical careers all these years, Jimmy Page kinda called it quits after John Bonham died.

#1555 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:20 AM

It doesn't count. Jimi Hendrix, has not recorded anything since 1970. Yet, him and Jimmy Page still sell truckloads of records and they're often on top of the "greatest guitarist" polls. In fact, they're both leading in this one.

#1556 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

Maybe this is just my opinion, but comparing Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page now to Jeff Beck seems odd. I have listened to a reasonable amount of his work and there is no way either of those two up until this point have done what he has musically and the scary thing is, to me he just keeps getting better with every album. His Les Paul tribute album was incredible, Emotion and Commotion is quite possibly one of the most expressive records I have heard from any guitar player ever. Hendrix and Beck are in their own territories as far as I am concerned, Hendrix was an innovator and really took the electric guitar as well as song writing to a whole new level while Beck continues to prove why he is quite possibly the most versatile guitar player period since he can play pretty much any genre of music he wants and still do it exceptionally well.

Maybe this is just my opinion, but comparing guitarists in general, seems a bit odd. Every guitarist has his/her own style, and while some may well be fantastic players, it's often wrong to compare them.

#1557 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,995 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:49 AM

Maybe this is just my opinion, but comparing guitarists in general, seems a bit odd. Every guitarist has his/her own style, and while some may well be fantastic players, it's often wrong to compare them.

I would tend to agree with that. This is just my own opinion, but i don't really give a flying fuck, who is better than who. I like a certain guitarist because the noise he or she produces please not just my ears, but my emotions.

#1558 BarnseyBoy

BarnseyBoy
  • 8 posts
  • Original Name: BarnseyBoy

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:53 AM

Hi I'm new here and I'm voting for Angus Young because I love AC/DC also check out my youtube channel for my guitar covers : My Youtube Channel

#1559 Cortez IPA

Cortez IPA
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: Cortez IPA

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Gilmour may not have the hands that Hendrix does, but Gilmour has a surgeon-like precision in his playing. While anyone will say the same for Hendrix, Gilmour can really make his guitar sing. others just make it scream.

#1560 Ayaura

Ayaura
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Original Name: Ayaura

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

perhaps we should change the title to greatest male guitarist of all time.

Just sayin...

JupiterPillow.png

"Taken out of context, I must seem so strange" Music Share

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...