posts in discussion do not add to total post countan idea

32 replies to this topic

Poll: Should it be made that posts in the discussion forum don't add to a user's post count? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Should it be made that posts in the discussion forum don't add to a user's post count?

1. Yes (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

2. No (23 votes [69.70%])

Percentage of vote: 69.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RellDaSlasher

RellDaSlasher

the traffic lights turn blue tomorrow

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Original Name: RellDaSlasher

Posted 01 December 2004 - 09:39 PM

most people don't seem to care about post counts, so why make them not count in discussion?

I really don't care either way, though. Because I personally see myself looking more at their 'joined on' date than their post count.

but, for a lot of people the post count shows a type of reliability....

OR...like on some of those computer help web sites, if you answer someone's question, they can nominate you for a Merit. And if the topic is reviewed by a mod, and they see your advice fit, then you get a little number under you name, showing people that you know what you are talking about.

#22 AxSlinger

AxSlinger

to be honest.....

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts
  • Original Name: AxSlinger

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (pauliejay @ Dec 1 2004, 03:30 PM)
Get rid of posts counts all together. All you need is a joining date. For too long post counts have been used as a leverage tool by members. Post counts mean absolutely NOTHING.

Removing the post counts will not encourage spam -  what would be the point? This subject has been brought up on a number of occasions here for instance and the same thing happens  - people pretend that they don't really care even though they reallt do want to keep their post counts, and then they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". The point is - it IS broke, so let's fix it.

I believe we can agree on something here. I like your idea.

QUOTE (voodoogav @ Dec 1 2004, 05:02 PM)
im for gettin rid of post counts, but if disscusion posts dont count people will spam other forums. they will see people with lots of posts and want to get up to their level. i know that sounds sad but thats the way it seems to be. ditch the post count all together.

I now see how my idea would be a problem. Maybe that's what other people were trying to tell me, but for some reason, you made me understand it.

QUOTE (pimp_vince @ Dec 1 2004, 10:08 PM)
to me a post count is no different than a number of sexual partners... (sorry to use this as a metaphor) it doesn't matter how many you have had... if you suck in bed, the fact remains that you still suck in bed.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (RellDaSlasher @ Dec 1 2004, 10:39 PM)
but, for a lot of people the post count shows a type of reliability....

OR...like on some of those computer help web sites, if you answer someone's question, they can nominate you for a Merit.  And if the topic is reviewed by a mod, and they see your advice fit, then you get a little number under you name, showing people that you know what you are talking about.

I like what you just said. I guess post counts are a form of praise given to the member, to show seniority/reliability. This is now an inaccurate way of testing that, what with spammers and General Discussion drones. I think a "merit" sort of a thing would be nice to replace with the post count.

OHHHH, IDEA!

How about the GTUer of the Week actually gives you a "merit"? I believe dorio's still doing the GTUer of the Week, but we could do it a little differently. Each mod gets to nominate a user from their forum with a little description of what qualifies them. Then someone or a group of people (i don't know who yet) can nominate a winner. That person gets a star or a user rating or something. Once a user gets 3 stars, or 5 stars (if he wins 3 or 5 times) then he gets a special group status. Rob can make a Uber Member or Senior Member group (for mods it can be something else if they want, but they are already a mod so.......). This could be improved upon.

What do yall think?

#23 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:46 PM

^^ If you're going to start giving members 'merit' ratings then you're just going to cause more argument and more attitude between members. Things like 'GTU-er of the week' are fairly light-hearted and taken in good spirit, but if we're going to start off doing something 'official' and have to start nominating and votng and suchlike it's just going to cause hassle and conflict, and there'll be some who get pished off because so-and-so is higher/lower than they think they should be. Best to leave it alone I think. Besides, once you've been here a while you soon realise who the knowledgable people are and who talk crap anyway.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#24 Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Vulpes lagopus

• 36,581 posts
  • Original Name: Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:49 AM

I think a lot of this is finding a problem where none exists.

One of the good things about GTU forums is that there are a lot of people here so it's very active. There's stuff going on almost all the time. There's a wide variety of different tastes, opinions and knowledge. A lot of other forums I have seen are far more stale and boring than this. OK, it might not be perfect, but it's not bad either.

A lot of people use their post count as some sort of sign of authority. That isn't down to the system being wrong though, that's down to a person's view or opinion being askew. Post count says nothing apart from that you have posted that many times. The joining date says nothing but when you joined. If you read more into it then that's down to you, not the system. If post counts really are such a hassle because of spam, remove them altogether. To single out Discussion just because it's a place more likely to have spurious posting going on is silly. It will encourage people to post more in other boards, yes, but a lot of the time it won't be helpful or useful. It will just be someone boosting their post count to make themselves seem more important.

Stop reading so much into the importance of post counts. If someone's important or useful you will know because they make helpful or useful comments.

#25 junior01

junior01

Fender dog rocks!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Original Name: junior01

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:35 AM

I really don't understand this argument that i will cause more spam in the other forums. There are mods there to keep thing at bay just like in discussion. And believe me, if someone wanna spam the Bass Q&A they'll get the boot. Maybe at first, if post count is disabled in discussion, there will be a bit of surge in posting in the different Q&A but i'm sure the mods are ready for that and after a while, thing will resume to normal.

But i said it before and i'll say it again, i'll prefer the no post count solution.
CEO and founder of the 'Fender Player's Club'!
Owner of the "Get your dog to tell others to play xyz brand" trademark. ;)
IPB Image

#26 Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Vulpes lagopus

• 36,581 posts
  • Original Name: Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:42 AM

To make sure people don't spam in other forums it would mean mods would have to check every thread and read every post. That might be possible in quieter periods, but sometimes thigns move fast. You rely on people reporting illegal posts, how many people are going to report spam?

I say disabling post count for discussion is silly. If you're going to do anything, remove the post count completely.

#27 dualplatform

dualplatform

superwinkie the tyrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,098 posts
  • Original Name: superwinkie

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:01 PM

Maybe insted of removing post counts, lock them where they are. (if you can make posts in discussion not add to the overall, im sure you can do that for every forum).

That way people with the highest post counts can keep them ( biggrin.gif ), and gtu will no longer have spamming to boost the count.

Of course, we'd have to wait for haggis to hit 10k.
"Sammy is not cute, he's sextastic." - soulcracker

Superwinkie Theme Song -- a la brokenmirror

We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives.

Very proud holder of 1 Major-Point

#28 schlicktaco

schlicktaco
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Original Name: schlicktaco

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Graeme! Yes @ Graeme!,Dec 1 2004, 08:05 AM)
I see no point in it. If the purpose is to discourage spamming then get rid of the post count altogether. By removing Discussion fromthe post count it will lead to more spam posts in other boards, and that might lead to stricter posting guidelines and moderations, which will drive people away. Driving people away is not a good thing. Some of the people who spam around here also try to contribute in a useful way. I know for a fact I can be seen as a spammer, but Where I can I say something useful - see the songwriting board for evidence.

This idea serves no good purpose.

I agree with Graeme
user posted image

#29 KaZu

KaZu

King Kong

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,772 posts
  • Original Name: KaZu

Posted 02 December 2004 - 02:16 PM

Quite Silly question.

Why does post count matter...

I think this one should be closed, its been brought up before.

#30 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 02 December 2004 - 03:26 PM

To the comment that I must care about my post count more than I will admit: I am admitting that I do care. I care a whole lot. Post counts are fun. Join dates are just as meaningless as post counts are: let's do away with those. In fact, let's get rid of names too, because they really don't do anything but encourage spamming. Maybe if nobody knew who you were it there would be no spam. Maybe we should all be assigned a random fourteen digit number. Maybe we should just leave things as they are.

Egad.

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#31 pauliejay

pauliejay

ad hominem ad nauseum

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts
  • Original Name: pauliejay

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (sixgunsound)
Post counts are fun. Join dates are just as meaningless as post counts are: let's do away with those. In fact, let's get rid of names too, because they really don't do anything but encourage spamming.

Well that's just being silly sixgun - one doesn't necessarily follow on from the other.

#32 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:19 PM

Well everyone else is being silly.

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#33 goober

goober
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Original Name: goober

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:24 AM

How about elimating post counts from all forums except discussion? I'm guessing that the only people who care about their post counts are those who mainly post in discussion anyway.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...