Eric Clapton

30 replies to this topic

#1 blizzardofozz

blizzardofozz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Original Name: blizzardofozz

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:32 AM

For those of you who don't believe in god maybe now is the time because it's time for the man they called God Eric Clapton

Biography

Eric Clapton was born on March the 30th 1945 in Ripley, England. You may know this guitarist from the bands The Yardbirds and Cream who were two of the most popular rock groups of the 60's. Clapton was also famous for making rock history so to speak with Derek and the Dominos with their classic album Layla in the 70's. and for those people of the 80's his reputation as a guitarist didn't die because the 4cd Crossroads became one of the most popular box sets of it's time . And many of you may have just got into Clapton when he did his line Unplugged ser in the 90's. But anyway well get into the nitty gritty later read on to find out why this blues/rock guitarist was named "God ".

The early history of Clapton involved a thorough appreciation of the blues with Robert Johnson being his mentor in a way. In an interview Clapton said "I aimed to be better than Robert Johnson he was my idol and all the time while wanting to be better than him I knew I never could be ". So like I was saying his early history involved a thorough appreciation of the blues which he'd played in early '60s R&B band The Roosters and between 1963-65 he gained some acclaim with The Yardbirds . But by the time most Americans had noticed The Yardbirds from their summer hit "For Your Love " in 1965 Clapton had already left the band frustrated by the bands increasingly poppy sound . Clapton was already a blues fan so when he got the chance to play on 1966's Blues Breakers album there was no such thing as an answer no . The album with Clapton remains one of the most distinguished in the prolific Bluesman John Mayall's catalogue.

Clapton's U.S introduction so to speak came when he joined forces with Bassist Jack Bruce and drummer Ginger Baker to form the band Cream I suppose you could call them the first rock super group of the era. Their influences on hard rock from 1967 onwards can not be understated. The band known mostly for Clapton's guitar work which was usually displayed at like concerts where he would do extended solos of the bands songs. They achieved success with their albums which were instant hits albums such as " Disraeli Gears " , " Wheels Of Fire " and " Goodbye " each reaching the top five upon their releases in 67,68 and 69 . Though bassist Jack Bruce wrote the most of Creams material Clapton held a co-writing credit on two of their most well known songs the top 5 hit " Sunshine Of Your Love "and " Badge " co-written with George Harrison of The Beatles . Additionally Clapton sang Creams arrangement of the classic Robert Johnson song "Crossroads "which was a top 30 single and has since become more of a classic rock radio standard than "Sunshine Of Your Love " .

Cream were no longer a band after their demise in the late 60's but Clapton and Baker joined Traffic's Steve Winwood and Bassist Rik Grech to Become " Blind Faith " who only lasted long enough to produce one album and do a brief tour of America in 1969 before calling it a day . Though the band were a failed band every cloud has a silver lining ands the lining was that this band produced one of Clapton's best early songs " Presence Of The Lord " .

During the American tour dates an American act Delaney and Bonnie had opened for Blind Faith and Clapton had formed a good friendship with them a good enough friendship that he invited the duo to England to perform they accepted and the results of this can be heard on 1970's "On Tour With Eric Clapton by Delaney and Bonnie" and " Friends with Eric Clapton ". Delaney has been credited by Clapton as the one who gave him the emotional nudge needed for him to build up the courage and have confidence in his singing abilities and become a front man for his own band. He didn't stop there as Delaney produced Clapton's 1970 solo debut Eric Clapton which boasted 8 songs written or co written by Eric the album reached number 15 due to the top 20 hit "After Midnight" (penned by J.J Cale) and the radio hit "Let It Rain"

Clapton's confidence was at a high and with this new found confidence he formed Derek And The Domino's and created the album " Layla " with the help of Duane Allman . The album reached the top 20 in 1970 and ewas reissued in a 3-cd "Deluxe Anniversary Edition "by PolyGram in 1990. With co writing credits on " I Looked Away , " Bell Bottom Blues " and the legendary title track with this album Clapton proved his worth as a Songwriter and as a Guitarist and was no longer merely regarded as Creams Ex guitarist .

While Clapton enjoyed his success in the 70's his heroin addiction had increased and alcohol was also become a major influence on him. He was out of the water so to speak between 1971-73 ( Except for an uninspired Pete Townshend-Organized " Comeback " concert released in 1973 as Rainbow Concert) , The guitarist returned in triumph with 1974's " Ocean Boulevard " his first No. 1 album of his career largely due to it's cover of The Wailers classic " I Shot The Sheriff " . Clapton was shifting his musical emphasis to songs rather than lengthy jams which had once been his trademark with Cream. It was a move that had been long in coming an interview with Rolling Stone in 1974 sheds some light as he said he had been impressed some years earlier upon hearing The Bands classic music from "Big Pink Album ". he said " I thought , well this is what I want to play , Not just extended solos and maestro bullshit just good funky songs " .

Clapton's song writing continued to improve, and throughout the remainder of the '70s he enjoyed a non-stop run of successful albums--four of which made the top 10 between 1977-81 and self-penned hit singles, including "Hello Old Friend," "Lay Down Sally" (co-written with Marcy Levy), "Wonderful Tonight," and "I Can't Stand It." In 1983, Clapton moved over to Warner Bros., and with Money And Cigarettes began recording on his own Duck Records label. The resulting albums continued to be substantial efforts, often featuring the guitarist with top-notch musical partners including Ry Cooder, Albert Lee, and Phil Collins. Clapton began writing with a host of new collaborators--among them keyboardist Greg Phillinganes, the Band's Robbie Robertson, Collins, Steven Bishop, Foreigner's Mick Jones, and blues guitarist Robert Cray.

By the early '90s, Clapton had further extended his compositional chops by scoring several film soundtracks, including all three of the Lethal Weapon films, Mickey Rourke's Homeboy, and Rush, which featured Clapton's Grammy-winning single, "Tears In Heaven." The moving lyrics of the latter track, co-written with Will Jennings, connected heavily with the public after Clapton's four-year-old son Conor was tragically killed in a 53-story fall in early 1991.

In 1993, Clapton reunited and performed with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker when Cream was inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame.

Discography

John Mayall Blues Breakers

John Mayall Blues Breakers With Eric Clapton:1966

Cream

Fresh Cream:1966

Disraeli Gears:1967

Wheels Of Fire:1968

Goodbye:1969

Blind Faith

Blind Faith:1969

Cream

Live Cream:1970

Derek And The Dominos

Layla:1970

Cream

Live Cream Vol 2:1972

Eric Clapton

Rainbow Concert:1973

Ocean Boulevard:1974

There's One In Every...:1975

E.C Was Here:1975

No Reason To Cry:1976

Slowhand:1977

Backless:1978

Just One Night:1980

Another Ticket:1981

Time Pieces:1982

Time Pieces 2:1985

Crossroads:1988

Journeyman:1989

24 Nights:1991

Clapton Unplugged:1992

From The Cradle:1994

Derek And The Dominos

Live At The Filmore:1994

Eric Clapton

Pilgrim:1998

Clapton Chronicles:1999

Riding With The King:2000

Money And Cigarettes:2000

Behind The Sun:2000

August:2000

Reptile:2001

One More Rider One More Car:2002

List Of Sources: www.alltheweb.com / www.google.com / www.msn.com / www.claptononline.com / www.Vh1.com / www.xtrememusician.com / www.eric-clapton.co.uk / www.knopfler.net / www.knightbilham.com

Z smile.gif

#2 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:32 PM

A grand biography for an awesome legendary guitarist. They called him 'slowhand' too and with reason.

#3 Less Paul

Less Paul
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • Original Name: Less Paul

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (dorio @ Feb 8 2005, 09:32 PM)
A grand biography for an awesome legendary guitarist. They called him 'slowhand' too and with reason.

I love Clapton's playing. It's amazing. I watched him jam on all these old blues tunes like ''Sweet Home Chicago'' with a bunch of blues greats.

#4 seibel88

seibel88
  • 6 posts
  • Original Name: seibel88

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:57 AM

If you asked most guitarist out there who they thought was the best guitarest ever they would probably say:

1. Eric Clapton
2. Jimmy Hendrix

Clapton plays beautifully, he isn't sloppy at all, a very precise guitarist. He is definitely the best guitarist I know

#5 Nimzi

Nimzi
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Original Name: Nimzi

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:23 AM

And it's spelled Jimi Hendrix
Life is a box

#6 GreenManalishi

GreenManalishi

Welcome to the Electric Church

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts
  • Original Name: GreenManalishi

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:46 PM

At a point in his career, there was no one better. How many artists can say that?
IPB Image

#7 J.Hoang301

J.Hoang301
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Original Name: J.Hoang301

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

clapton is my hero
user posted image

"Blues was created when the first cheating man met the first lying woman"

"I'm going to punch you in the ovary. Yep. Straight shot. Right to the babymaker." Ron Burgandy

#8 Will_Wood

Will_Wood

Rabble Rouser Extraordinaire

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,843 posts
  • Original Name: Will_Wood

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

They called him slow hand because:

When he was starting out, jamming with some guys and practicing his bends, he would break strings sometimes. And as he put a new one back on, people would clap slowly.

slow-hand-clap-ton.

woo hoo.

One of the greatest guitarists of all time.
Posted Image

#9 ZoSo_Kid

ZoSo_Kid
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Original Name: ZoSo_Kid

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (J.Hoang301 @ May 31 2005, 11:15 AM)
clapton is my hero

word

#10 Wes15

Wes15
  • 5 posts
  • Original Name: Wes15

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (seibel88 @ Apr 13 2005, 01:57 PM)
If you asked most guitarist out there who they thought was the best guitarest ever they would probably say:

1. Eric Clapton
2. Jimmy Hendrix

Clapton plays beautifully, he isn't sloppy at all, a very precise guitarist. He is definitely the best guitarist I know

Don't Forget Stevie Ray Vaughan

#11 Fender2.0

Fender2.0

Brandon

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Original Name: fenderguitarfreak

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

i watched a video of eric clapton in concert today..
awesome
------------------------------------------------

#12 claptonman

claptonman
  • GZ Regular
  • 18,572 posts
  • Original Name: Claptonman

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

I think I am the greatest fan. biggrin.gif
Leedle Leedle Leedle

#13 Naan

Naan

"That ear — I mean, Jesus"

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • Original Name: Naan100

Posted 12 August 2005 - 01:26 PM

Clapton wasn't even taught the guitar all self taught amazing pure genious

#14 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 13 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

just a add on for the albums: Me and Mr Johnson (2004)

#15 Agent Buckwald

Agent Buckwald
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: Agent Buckwald

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:44 PM

Ya i love eric clapton hes pretty much the greatest guitarist whos ever lived, but to zoso kid, ohio state sucks, penn state no.7, 8-1 WOOT!

#16 Tuning Spork

Tuning Spork

I still have Les Paul's autograph

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts
  • Original Name: Tuning Spork

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

I saw Cream live when they played at Madison Square Garden last week. It was very, very good, and Clapton was no slouch. I don't like most of his solo work, but this was great.

#17 cestqui

cestqui

Coup Gummy

• GZ Regular
  • 16,428 posts
  • Original Name: gummyworms_tbr

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

I've said it on GTU before, and I will say it again. Eric Clapton is the greatest guitarist that ever lived, and probably ever will live. He's played so many diffierent types of music and, as was formentioned, he plays incredibly well and clean. He never plays a sloppy riff, lick, or solo. And he can sing exceptionally well.
Posted Image

#18 littleclapton

littleclapton
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Original Name: littleclapton

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:46 PM

biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Claptonman @ Jul 20 2005, 09:16 PM)
I think I am the greatest fan. biggrin.gif

I tend to disagree with you! protest.gif

#19 cestqui

cestqui

Coup Gummy

• GZ Regular
  • 16,428 posts
  • Original Name: gummyworms_tbr

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:13 PM

You all should check out the new Cream Live 2005 DVD, it's great.
Posted Image

#20 Anothe ERIC CLAPTON wannabe

Anothe ERIC CLAPTON wannabe

Kevinevinevinevin

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Original Name: Anothe ERIC CLAPTON wannabe

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:41 AM

Clapton is my hero too! I am always amazed with the way he effortlessly plays "blackie" (his black strat) and the "crashocaster" (his grafitti designed strat) in front of thousand people.

his noiseless crashocaster must be the greatest guitar in the world today.

Modern Warfare 2 is coming out. HELL YEAH

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...