Eddie VanHalen

23 replies to this topic

#1 blizzardofozz

blizzardofozz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Original Name: blizzardofozz

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:44 AM

Ah your still here good I'd like to introduce you to Eddie Van Halen the man who revolutionised the way people played guitar he brought finger tapping to the world (didn't invent it) when Van Halen hit the scene so it's only right he deserves legendary status smile.gif

Biography

Edward Van Halen was Born on January 26th 1957 in Nijmegan Holland and raised in LA and although he went on to become one of the most influential guitarist of his time who would have thought that at first he was planning to play drums. Eddie had already bought himself a drum kit and got a new job so he could pay the kit off. But, while he was working hard to pay the kit off his brother Alex Van Halen was at home learning then drums. And by the time Eddie could finally practice, he found that his brother Alex had become quite a good drummer. So instead he picked up the guitar, he quickly found that he was a natural on it. And so it started. Instead of Eddie going out on Friday and Saturday nights he would stay at home and practice guitar sometimes all night long. In an interview of some sort with Alex I think they asked how long Eddie practiced and Alex said that he would go out on the Friday night and Eddie would be practicing on his bed in the house and 6 hours later when he came back Eddie was still sat in the exact same spot practicing.

Eddie started listening to his favourite artists albums and trying to emulate him it was with this that he started to jam with his brother Alex . They formed several bands in high school but nothing came of them. Finally they met the lead singer of another band by the name of David Lee Roth. He was charismatic, fun, and an excellent vocalist they had heard but most important of all he owned his own PA. And fronting for another band was the bass player soon to be with them Michael Anthony who was incited to join Van Halen after opening for them.

When the rest of their classmates from High School were leaving to go to college the band of Van Halen were working on original material and gigging in local clubs around LA, Pasadena and other California citied and soon they were gaining a fan base. The band officially formed in 1974 and put out their first major-label album in 1978 entitled "Van Halen ". Eddie's flashy guitar style was all over the record from simple tracks like "Running With The Devil " to the track that made the guitarist an idol to many " Eruption " the album had it all and the fans seemed to think so too . Many years of partying ensued as Van Halen toured the world and Eddie won several acclaims to his talent such as all of the major guitar magazine awards several times over. Van halen released many other records of course which you will see in the biography below so I won't get too much into it . Although Van Halen seemed to be on a Elevator the top of the world not everyone stayed for the full journey and David Lee Roth Left and was replaced by Sammy Hagar also left and has now been replaced by Gary Cherone of Extreme. The singer's may have changed but for many Eddie and his guitar have always been at the center of Van Halen .

Eddie once an alcoholic went through Rehabilitation in the 90's which had a profound effect on his music and lifestyle. Although popularity of the band declined since the mid 90's Van Halen hasn't necessarily beem out of the spotlight. With frontman squirmishes and medical problems Van Halen have been in the spotlight throughout the late 90's . Eddie's most recebt battle was a serious one. In early 2000 Eddie had a portion of his tongue removed to stop the spread of a cancerous growth. It is yet unknown whether Eddie will ever continue his carrer in rock but his masterful guitar playing has already gone down in history as Edward Van Halen bacame a legend in his own lifetime smile.gif

Discography

Van Halen:1978

Van Halen II:1979

Women And Children First:1980

Fair Warning:1981

Diver Down:1982

1984:1984

5150:1986

OU812:1988

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge:1991

Live:Right Here , Here Now:1993

Balance:1995

Best Of Volume 1:1996

Van Halen III:1998

Best of Both Worlds: 2004

List Of Sources: www.alltheweb.com / www.yahoo.com / www.msn.com / www.google.com / www.xtrememusician.com / www.van-halen.com / www.lewzworld.com/vanhalen/pics / www.rogerfisher.com/images/onstage/ / www.cei.santacruz.g12.br/~guitarra

Z smile.gif

#2 Less Paul

Less Paul
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • Original Name: Less Paul

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

Yes, Eddie is very influential both to me and my playing. He does deserve legendary status and now he has it thanks to you!

#3 guitarfreak111

guitarfreak111

taparoo

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts
  • Original Name: guitarfreak111

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

Alright, finally Edward the Great. smile.gif

#4 gypsy_queen

gypsy_queen
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Original Name: gypsy_queen

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:39 AM

I adore Eddie Van Halen. Although I think he may have lost his way at one point (he battled alcoholism), for a rock star it's inevitable. I have great respect for him, and it pisses me off that he isn't mentioned more often.
Nice one.

SJ
i'll bet yo momma said...

user posted image

qypsy_queen@musician.net

see ya on the rebound,

wolfie ;-D

#5 Less Paul

Less Paul
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (gypsy_queen @ Feb 21 2005, 07:39 AM)
I adore Eddie Van Halen. Although I think he may have lost his way at one point (he battled alcoholism), for a rock star it's inevitable. I have great respect for him, and it pisses me off that he isn't mentioned more often.
Nice one.

SJ

Agreed. I don't really think that Van Halen is the same without David Lee Roth. It was very foolish of them to get rid of Roth.

#6 räzzle

räzzle

Yep.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • Original Name: räzzle

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (gypsy_queen @ Feb 21 2005, 10:39 AM)
Nice one.

SJ

He is great and has carved his place in history as the one who brought tapping to the masses. However, to be fair, as for him not being mentioned, he is presently on tour. He did grace the cover of Guitar World Magazine last summer. He is an aging rock star who hasn't put out any new work of note for some years. What's to mention?
user posted image

#7 Less Paul

Less Paul
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (räzzle @ Feb 22 2005, 09:02 PM)
Nice one.

SJ

He is great and has carved his place in history as the one who brought tapping to the masses. However, to be fair, as for him not being mentioned, he is presently on tour. He did grace the cover of Guitar World Magazine last summer. He is an aging rock star who hasn't put out any new work of note for some years. What's to mention?

That was a great Guitar World issue.

#8 joshsirjoshules

joshsirjoshules
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Original Name: joshsirjoshules

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Less Paul @ Feb 22 2005, 10:43 PM)
Nice one.

SJ

Agreed. I don't really think that Van Halen is the same without David Lee Roth. It was very foolish of them to get rid of Roth.

also agreed, while sammy mad.gif has a bigger vocal range, david cool.gif could perform his songs much better

also i think eddie just lost it when he stepped in front of a keyboard mad.gif for real, around "jump" era, which is not a bad song, now if he had stepped in front of a piano it may have been different but i dont know.

Edited by joshsirjoshules, 28 February 2005 - 07:02 PM.

IPB Image

My Band: Psychlone

#9 c..g.

c..g.
  • 22 posts
  • Original Name: c..g.

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:57 AM

He is so good. How can someone have so much talent. wink.gif
user posted image

#10 tacoshreder

tacoshreder
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Original Name: tacoshreder

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:18 PM

how is it that van halen isnt in the rock and roll hall of fame yet??

#11 guitarfreak111

guitarfreak111

taparoo

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts
  • Original Name: guitarfreak111

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (tacoshreder @ Mar 13 2005, 01:18 PM)
how is it that van halen isnt in the rock and roll hall of fame yet??

For the same reason ZZ Top entered last year tongue.gif

#12 VanHalen17

VanHalen17
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Original Name: VanHalen17

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Less Paul @ Feb 22 2005, 10:43 PM)
Nice one.

SJ

someone correct me if im wrong but i believe Roth left the band, dont think they got rid of him. i could of read wrong but. hes a big influence on my guitar playing, hes awesome.

#13 alexparker

alexparker
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Original Name: alexparker

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:40 AM

I'm Not That Keen On Van Halen But His Legendary Status And Influence With His Eruption Song/Solo Is Undebateable.
Posted Image

#14 J.Hoang301

J.Hoang301
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Original Name: J.Hoang301

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

good job
user posted image

"Blues was created when the first cheating man met the first lying woman"

"I'm going to punch you in the ovary. Yep. Straight shot. Right to the babymaker." Ron Burgandy

#15 Rhoads is thy master

Rhoads is thy master
  • 30 posts
  • Original Name: Rhoads is thy master

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:39 AM

Van Halen rocks.

#16 Fender2.0

Fender2.0

Brandon

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Original Name: fenderguitarfreak

Posted 18 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

eddy rocks..van halen rocks. enough said. everyone knows that he deserves to be considered as a legend
------------------------------------------------

#17 AckeX

AckeX
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: AckeX

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:16 PM

Eddie is awesome guitar.gif guitar.gif I have the cd BEST OF BOTH WORLDS and that album really rocks! excl.gif excl.gif excl.gif VAN HALEN ROCKS!

#18 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (räzzle @ Feb 23 2005, 06:02 AM)
Nice one.

SJ

Wrong. If you listen to their latest best of double cd, there are 3 new songs on there. Ok, so it's only 3 songs

#19 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (gypsy_queen @ Feb 21 2005, 04:39 PM)
Nice one.

SJ

He also battled throat cancer, but yes, eddie's the man

#20 gypsy_queen

gypsy_queen
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Original Name: gypsy_queen

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:54 AM

its nice to know that something i posted about a decade ago is still causing a stir...
i'll bet yo momma said...

user posted image

qypsy_queen@musician.net

see ya on the rebound,

wolfie ;-D

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...