11 replies to this topic

#1 faasie

faasie
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts
  • Original Name: faasie

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

Lately I've seen a few Keiper Les Paul copies popping up. They are german made and below $200 thats all I can find about them.

Does anyone have an opinion on them. I yet have to try one out but I'm curious if someone else already played one. They look pretty good, 2 piece top and the rest well it just looks good.

#2 guitarstrummin63

guitarstrummin63

Mr. Official something or another (male... see i said Mr.)

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Original Name: guitarstrummin63

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:52 AM

what type of wood are they made out of?

#3 faasie

faasie
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:06 AM

Don't know I can't find much info, thats why I'm asking here biggrin.gif. I tried google but couldnt find much other than some ads of people selling them and harmony central reviews. One of the reviews is quite helpful I guess.

Taken from Harmony Central

I have just bought two of these for stg.100 each and I believe they are made in germany.The layout is the same as a typical les paul and the pickups are very good, certainly as good as epiphone pickups.the guitar feels good to hold and play.It was necessary to make adjustments to the setup and the guitar strings as supplied were poor,but once adjustments were made they played very well.some of the negative points would be the quality of the machine heads and the two piece neck also the varnish finish was not great.

Edited by faasie, 19 July 2005 - 10:08 AM.

#4 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Original Name: the cash

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

They must be very cheaply made if they are actually built in Germany and still can be sold for under 200...

Soundclick! -- It's back!

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#5 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,872 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (guitarstrummin63 @ Jul 19 2005, 06:52 PM)
what type of wood are they made out of?

Bass wood i belive.

Edited by frankyz84, 19 July 2005 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,872 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (faasie @ Jul 19 2005, 06:42 PM)
Lately I've seen a few Keiper Les Paul copies popping up. They are german made and below $200 thats all I can find about them.

Does anyone have an opinion on them. I yet have to try one out but I'm curious if someone else already played one. They look pretty good, 2 piece top and the rest well it just looks good.

I have had 2 Kiepers guitars through my hands, and you basiclly get what you pay for. I picked up a Flying V for 53, and a BC Rich style Guitar for 60.(see my link to pix in sig) I sold the Flying V on for 80, and i am still waiting to sell on the other one.
OK, so this is the way it is. On appearance, they seem ok. The action was to high, and the intonation was way off, and fret to rough for any decent string bending. So i took the strings off, to polish the frets. I decided to see how well made they were by removing the scratchplate on the flying V. OH deary deary me no. The routing inside looked like it had been done by a chimp. Nothing was smooth, and the wood looked like it had been chewed, and not routed, the work was abismall. The pups were pretty weak for humbuckers, and they had some hiss to them, allbeit very quiet. Once i had set it up, it was not to bad to play, but you just know that it is a cheap guitar you are playing, just by feel, let alone sound.
As i said, you get what you pay for. They would be ok for the complete beginner, or for the person who wants a base for a project guitar. They do have potential, but poor workmanship really does spoil it. My advice, don`t buy one unless you are desperate.

Edited by frankyz84, 19 July 2005 - 10:22 AM.

#7 faasie

faasie
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

Haha ok thx smile.gif. A friend of mine bought a richwood les paul custom copy. Now we didnt open it up but that one was quite good. The action was a bit to high because the nut was low so fretbuzz when having low action.

But he got that fixed. Now the tuners are acting up sometimes but I would pick it over an epiphone and he payed uhm 250 for it I think. Anyway real nice sound and when he fixed the nut it felt good too.

#8 bikerdad

bikerdad
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Original Name: bikerdad

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:27 AM

never heard of or seen them in the states.

#9 digiti

digiti

One Man Band

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts
  • Original Name: digiti

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

Never heard of them.

--------------------

#10 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

• GZ Regular
  • 29,872 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (faasie @ Jul 19 2005, 07:42 PM)
Haha ok thx smile.gif. A friend of mine bought a richwood les paul custom copy. Now we didnt open it up but that one was quite good. The action was a bit to high because the nut was low so fretbuzz when having low action.

But he got that fixed. Now the tuners are acting up sometimes but I would pick it over an epiphone and he payed uhm 250 for it I think. Anyway real nice sound and when he fixed the nut it felt good too.

I have had Richwoods as well, got them very cheap, and sold on for a profit. I got a Strat copy and a Thin Hollow Body. Not bad for the price. biggrin.gif

#11 faasie

faasie
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

Uhm how can you sell those on a profit I mean like new they virtually cost nothing. So how can anyone be willing to pay more?

#12 soundpilot

soundpilot
  • New (Facebook)
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Sea Turtle

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I was able to find one of these in Germany second hand and it is an amazing guitar, great action, amazing bluesy rich sound. It blows my epiphone les Paul away. I didn't think it would be so great and has turned into one of my favorite guitars, it's a keeper!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...