3. Elected
4. Billion Dollar Babies
5. Unfinished Sweet
6. No More Mr. Nice Guy
7. Generation Landslide
8. Sick Things
9. Mary Ann
10. I Love the Dead

Alice Cooper was a band that was always described inaccurately. Rock critics and music snobs worldwide were passing them off as just another glam band. They said that Alice Cooper only played music to cause anger and disgust. Parents accused Alice Cooper's music of being nothing but shock value. All the mentioned accusations are incorrect, and Billion Dollar Babies is proof of that. The members of Alice Cooper were terrific songwriters, and had a purpose other than shocking people. That purpose was to entertain. Some music is supposed to be listened to, and pondered, and recognized as a work of art. Some music is just supposed to be enjoyed. This album is the latter. The album is all about having fun.

The album begins with a Broadway tune called "Hello Hooray." It's the perfect way to start out this album. The song is flashy, entertaining, and anthemic. The song makes the listener feel like one of the greatest shows on earth is starting, and in a way, it's true. The song lets you know that you are about to begin a dazzling, twisted, magnificent show.

After the flashy beginning comes the straight up rock n roll of "Raped and Freezin'." The song is very exciting and catchy. It also shows some of Alice Cooper's humor, when after Alice sings, "Alone down in Mexico, alone," the song becomes very Spanish sounding, complete with Alice singing "Aye yai yai yai yai" in a high pitched yelp.

The next song is the rip-roaring rock n roll anthem, "Elected." This is easily the most exciting song on the album. During the chorus, it has a great power chord riff, and the song gets even more exciting as more of the brass section is introduced into the song. It also shows the vocal power of Alice. It is a very fun song, and like the last song, ends with humor, as Alice shouts as if he is at a campaign pep rally his true feelings about the American people; "We have problems in the north, south, east, and west, and personally, I don't care!" He also describes what he'd do if he's elected. He'd form a new party, "the wild party." And judging by the song, that exactly what their party would be. This song is one of the highlights of the album.

The next song, "Billion Dollar Babies," is about what Alice Cooper thinks of the rich and the famous. He mocks them with sarcastic lyrics such as "we go dancing in the attic nightly, while the moon is rising in the sky" said in a snobby tone by the popular 60's vocalist, Donovan. The lyrics are actually a little ironic, since it was made at around the time when Alice Cooper were becoming full-fledged rock stars, participating in the over-indulgence (such as renting out an entire mansion in Greenwich to record the album) they mock in the song. Was the irony purposefully comedic, or was Alice Cooper being hypocritical? With Alice, you couldn't really tell, so you can either take this song as a mockery of indulgent lifestyles, or an ironic parody of the band. As for the song, it was one of his biggest hits, and personally, I'm not sure why. While it may be the most popular song on the album, it's pretty annoying after a few listens. It's not very catchy and it doesn't seem to go anywhere.

"Unfinished Sweet" is the next song on the album, and is somewhat of a hidden Alice Cooper gem. While it's not very well-known, it portrays the most well-known side of Alice Cooper very well. It's a playful song about dentists, and shows some of Alice Cooper's humor, but this time, the humor is done to amuse himself. It has 2 fake endings, confusing listeners, and bringing joy to Alice. It's got a good guitar riff, too.

"No More Mr. Nice Guy" is a very catchy song, and one of Alice Cooper's biggest hits. It is a little before it's time, and like most Alice Cooper songs, very anthemic. The lyrics are about Alice Cooper's rising fame, mostly because of the band's antics. It is about the problems with being infamous, and what it does to a person. It's one of the catchiest songs on the album.

"Generation Landslide" is another hidden gem, and perhaps one of Alice Cooper's best hidden gems. It begins with a folksy acoustic guitar, broken barre chord riff, which is at times jovial, and at times eerie. After this acoustic guitar riff, Alice has a vocal riff, so to speak. He does a single, intense "la da da da da" and the combination of acoustic and electric guitar riff begins. As the song progresses, it gets bluesier, all the way until a very good harmonica solo. Definitely one of the highlights of the album, and definitely one of Alice's most underrated songs.

A trademark of sorts for Alice Cooper albums, the last 3 songs are the most obscene, shocking, and sometimes scary songs on the album. This string of songs begins with "Sick Things." The song is a tribute to Alice Cooper's fans, done like no other artist would have done at the time. Alice refers to his fans as "Sick things...my things." Musically, the song isn't that great, but the song serves it's purpose well.

"Mary Ann" is the next in the string of songs. The only instrument being played in the song is a piano, which throughout the song has a lot of reverb, and it sounds like it's swirling. The piano sounds as if the melody is floating, and it's very dreamy sounding. At first, the song seems like it's a tribute to a girl named Mary Ann, up until the last line, when Alice sings "Mary Ann, I thought you were my man." This brings up a lot of questions about the sexuality of the singer, and about Mary Ann. It confuses the listener, which is something that Alice obviously likes doing.

The last song is the scary song in the string of songs, it is called "I Love The Dead." It begins with an eerie acoustic guitar riff. The sinister vocals come in, "I love the dead, before they're cold. Their bluing flesh for me to hold." The entire song is rather scary and disturbing, but perhaps the most disturbing part of the song is the least graphic. In the chorus, Alice sings proudly, "I love the dead." The tone of the music when he sings this is glorious, triumphant, and anthemic. It gives the feeling that this necrophilia experience is one of the greatest moments of the narrator's life. It's a chilling way to end a terrific, diverse album.

As anyone can see after hearing this album, Alice Cooper was the embodiment of over-indulgent 70's glam. He was pompous, shocking, entertaining, and exciting. Alice Cooper was not only a very important band in the scheme of glam rock, but an innovator of shock rock. Unfortunately, Alice Cooper will never be considered the great artist he is. The band's great songwriting will always be overshadowed by their behavior. And they will always be overlooked by rock snobs, who say there is no art in Alice Cooper's music. And maybe those rock snobs are right, but it doesn't matter. Alice Cooper's music is all about having fun, and boy is this album fun. It's entertainment at it's best. A must have for fans of glam rock, or anyone looking for a good time in their music.

#2 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,755 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:29 PM

biggrin.gif

"I wanna be elected" yeah what a great album, (I remember school's out too) this
guy's invented the glam-rock and live they delivered more than expected. And It's
good to note that Bob Ezrin must be credited for that Alice's sound. Great review !

#3 wizzywozza

wizzywozza
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • Original Name: wizzywozza

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:43 AM

Alice was magnificent when I saw him in concert last month ........ and very loud too!

#4 pooponabagel

pooponabagel

Head Honcho of the GTU Pirates

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  • Original Name: pooponabagel

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

"I wanna be elected" yeah what a great album, (I remember school's out too) this
guy's invented the glam-rock and live they delivered more than expected. And It's
good to note that Bob Ezrin must be credited for that Alice's sound. Great review !

I'm glad you agree with me, and thanks for the compliment!

I might just have a bad computer, but I'm not seeing any quotation marks in this review...and I'm sure I put them in.

"This phrase in quotations is a test"

Here's another test
Oregon rocks
IPB Image

#5 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,755 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:17 AM

Um, quotation marks ?! well have copied n' pasted the review as you sent it in mellow.gif

#6 pooponabagel

pooponabagel

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:13 PM

Um, quotation marks ?! well have copied n' pasted the review as you sent it in Posted Image

How very strange. I'll PM you one with quotation marks.
Oregon rocks
IPB Image

#7 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,755 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:59 PM

There, I've edited the new version with quotations and all. You're one for perfection Poop

Cheers Posted Image

Alice was magnificent when I saw him in concert last month ........ and very loud too!

Really ? honestly I didnt know he was still touring, I wonder If he still does all the
glam theatre tricks and the chickens sacrifices with a huge snake on his neck Posted Image

#8 pooponabagel

pooponabagel

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:33 PM

I just read on the internet that Alice Cooper's original band started a band called the Billion Dollar Babies. I wonder if they were good?
Oregon rocks
IPB Image

#9 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,755 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:39 AM

Really, I wouldnt know about that, I've always consider Alice Cooper as a band and not as an individual. He was the front guy with the tricks but the musicians were doing their job right behind him. When they were on tour for the Billion Dollar Babies album Alice used to end up in the gallows as the crowd was cheering laugh.gif

#10 pooponabagel

pooponabagel

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

Really, I wouldnt know about that, I've always considered Alice Cooper as a band and not as an individual. He was the front guy with the tricks but the musicians were doing their job right behind him. When they were on tour for the Billion Dollar Babies album Alice used to end up in the gallows as the crowd was cheering :lol:

Yeah, Alice Cooper wasn't really a person until 1975, when Vincent Furnier went solo and did "Welcome To My Nightmare."
Oregon rocks
IPB Image

#11 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,755 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:08 AM

Vincent Alice Furnier Cooper reminds me David Bowie and his alter egos incarnations.

The only difference was the music, and Fournier Killed Alice only once Bowie had to kill Ziggy twice wink.gif

#12 Editleleshots

Editleleshots
  • 6 posts
  • Original Name: Editleleshots

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

I never liked Alice Cooper's music, but I always smile whenever I see him on t.v. playing quite well in celebrity pro-am golf tournaments.

#13 Richardovellee

Richardovellee
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: Richardovellee

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

Noooo .... por la ######ing peruana y boliviana, concert cancelled Alice Cooper, rock on

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...