- - - - -

Solomon Burke - Cry to MeFrom Dirty Dancing...

7 replies to this topic

#1 hunterw4

hunterw4
  • 5 posts
  • Original Name: hunterw4

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

Pretty amazing song, got in my head today, but I can't find the tab ANYWHERE on the net...anyone have the tab or willing to tab it out??

#2 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,873 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:50 AM

I haven't heard the original tune for maybe thirty years (and don't have it) but I can tell you it's basically just a I-IV-V progression in the key of E (using E, A and B7 chords). A variation (a few extensions and returns, etc) on a basic 12-bar blues progression. You might wanna try working it out using 7ths and/or 9th chord voicings. (Could be a flow into the B7 through a Db7 and/or an F or F7. Like I said, it's been thirty years or more since I heard it.) Use those chords and you should be able to work it out soon. Start off by just using the E, A and B7 chords (or E7, A7 and B7). When you start to get close, if it seems like there might be a few other chords that flow between those main ones missing, see if the Db7 and/or the F or F7 does it.
Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

Posted Image
John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#3 hunterw4

hunterw4
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 06:51 AM

Thank you, I'll give that a shot...I'm just shocked there isn't a full tab on here, especially with as big as dirty dancing was and how good the love scene was while that song was playing...thanks again...

#4 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,873 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:39 AM

I'm surprised too. I remember that movie was pretty popular a while back. Maybe because it's not that much of a guitar tune. Not a bad tune though. I got turned on to a lot of Solomon Burke tunes (and Benny King, similar stylistically to Burke sometimes, he did the original version of "Stand By Me," "Don't Play That Song (You Lied)", etc.) backing up on rhythm guitar this old black vocalist for awhile who did a lot of stuff like that. He was into that "tormented love" R&B stuff and was pretty good really. Anyway, it shouldn't be too tough. If I had it I'd chord-tab it up for you.

(Oh, by the way, if you're into that kind of stuff a little. That guy used to also do a version of the old Leonard Feather tune "How Blue Can You Get" (most well-known version was covered by BB King). This guy would totally tear it up on that tune. He'd totally "get down" and his voice was a cry or a whisper, just dripping with emotion as belted it out. The audience invariably gave him a standing ovation when he was done. A while back somebody asked me to tab that tune, which I did, and I later used it as an example in a lesson I posted in the Lessons Forum here under "Intermediate-Blues Using Ninths" or something like that. You might wanna check that one out.)

Posted Image

#5 hunterw4

hunterw4
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

Thanks again for the help and advice. I'm really into the old delta blues players I like the old stuff with a guy in a room with a guitar stompin his foot. Those guys are like one man bands. I'd really like to learn some of the blues styles, but have been a bit intimadated by it b/c it looks so hard. I'll have to check out some of your lessons.

Bill

#6 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,873 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:25 AM

I'm working on a fingerstyle lesson for an old blues-tune right now that I'm going to post (including a link for sound) within a few days or so in the Acoustic Forum (which is probably the best forum for stuff like that). It's an old blues by Blind Willie Walker he recorded in 1930 called "South Carolina Rag." It's an alternating-thumb bass fingerstyle for acoustic solo. I'm trying to tab it and explain it as I go as sort of an introduction into solo acoustic alternating-bass style playing. I'm trying to do it so that even a person unfamiliar with playing that style will be able to pick it up and learn the basics of that style, which opens up a lot of that old pre-war country-blues like Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Boy Fuller, Lonnie Johnson, Bo Carter, Tommy Johnson, etc, etc.

Posted Image

#7 hunterw4

hunterw4
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out for that...Thanks for sharing the wealth!

#8 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,873 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:05 PM

No problem. If it wasn't for other guys "sharing the wealth" with me (like the man in my sig-pic below, and others) I wouldn't be able to do it either. They never wanted anything for their time and trouble helping me. They always just said "Pass it on." And so I try. Anyway, I'll have it soon.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...