12 replies to this topic

#1 blizzardofozz

blizzardofozz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Original Name: blizzardofozz

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

Dave Matthews Band

Many people are familiar with Dave Matthews and his band but many do not recognize his unique guitar style and skill that he has, as his work does not necessarily show it off. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1967 and quickly moved to Westchester County, New York where his father who was previously a physicist in Africa, landed a job at IBM. In the early 70's he and his family moved to Cambridge, England but wound up moving back to New York a few years later, his father passed away in 1977. They moved back to Africa for several years where he was educated about the so called evil western world. His family moved to Charlottesville VA in 1986 , the place where his parents had lived before he was born. This move is probably the most important for his fans as this was where eventually he would encounter soon to be fellow band mates LeRoi Moore, Boyd Tinsley, Stephan Lessard and Carter Beauford who would eventually form Dave Matthews Band. For a number of years Matthews studied piano before taking up the guitar at age 9 and eventually became a part of the local music scene and wound up with the idea of starting his own band some day. Dave Matthews is one of the most unique guitarists to hit themusic scene ever. Ever since 1991 he has shown millions of people just how amazing of a guitarist he is. He has almost single handidly brought the acoustic rhythm guitar to the mainstream. Dave's style is an agressive, percussive type. He has an innate ability to mute almost any string he would like while still fully strumming either chords or single notes. If you ever watch Dave's right hand while he is playing, it barely ever stops moving. He strums his heart out on every song he plays. Even on songs like The Stone where Dave has to hit single notes, Dave's hand is moving like a butterfly. He hits all the notes and doesn't think twice.

Little did he realize that in 1991, the Dave Matthews Band would start to take form. It was in this year that Dave met jazz drummer Carter Beauford, classical violinist Boyd Tinsley, 16 year old bass prodigy Stephan Lessard and jazz saxophonist/floutist LeRoi Moore, as well as keyboardist Peter Grieser who dropped out later, and together they compiled their first album, Remember Two Things under the Bama Rags record label which was released in 1993. However Remember Two Things was not their debut album, it was just a independent album that they had put together. In 1994 under the RCA record label DMB put out Under The Table And Dreaming and in the summer of 1995 was declared 4 times platinum, just prior too the bands studio session for the upcoming album Crash which was released on April 30th 1996. In October of 1997 RCA and Bama Rags released the double disc Live at the Red Rocks 8-15-95 that was recorded at the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, Colorado two years earlier. In the spring of 98 DMB released Before These Crowded Streets and in 99 Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds released their duo acoustic album Live At Luther College, and as many know, Tim Reynolds has been a guest artist on many of DMB's albums and Tim has appeared as a guest artist for Dave numerous times. The 3rd live album to hit the scene was Listener Supported, which was recorded at the Continental Airlines Arena in New Jersey in September and launched in November, going double platinum as well. In 2001 the band came back with a smash with their juiced up half electric rock album Everyday, which included the gospel rock song of the same name, which was co produced by Glen Ballard who helped tighten things up, it was also the first time Dave ever played electric guitar on a album. The same year the Live in Chicago album was released which featured guests such as bassist Victor Wooten and a full set with Tim Reynolds as well. In 2002 DMB released their landmark album Busted Stuff. For the first time ever there were no guest artists on the album and some of the songs were road tested collaborations from fan favourites like Grey Street, Grace is Gone and Bartender. The 5th live album to hit the market was Live at Folsom Fields in Boulder Colorado 7-11-01 which was released in 2002. The 6th live session was the Central Park concert, which played to almost 100,000 people and raised over 2 million dollars for education and parks in the area. The summer/fall brang the release of Dave's 'solo' album Some Devil which included guests such as Trey Anastasio and Tim Reynolds among others, this in turn created the Dave Matthews and Friends tour which was to promote Some Devil, the hit single Gravedigger also won Dave a Grammy Award for Best Male Rock Vocalist. In the summer of 2005 Dave Matthews Band released their latest album Stand Up, proving once again that they still have the cutting edge of rockers, while maintaining a good acoustic style stance with their music.

Discography:

Remember Two Things (live) - 1993

http://musicmoz.org/...derthetable.jpg
Under The Table And Dreaming - 1994

http://www.dave-matt...album_crash.jpg
Crash - 1996

Live at The Red Rocks 8-15-95 - 1997
http://www.songlyric...usted-stuff.jpg
Before These Crowded Streets - 1998

Everyday - 2001

http://www.songlyric...usted-stuff.jpg
Busted Stuff - 2002

http://www.dailynexu...ws-cdreview.jpg
Stand Up - 2005

http://www.gamedayti...tthews-band.jpg
Live in Chicago - 1998

Other Dave Matthews related albums

Live at Luther College: A Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Performance - 1999

http://images.google...ttp...=off&sa=G
Some Devil - 2003

#2 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:55 AM

Exellent guitar.gif Now available in wiki. drink.gif

#3 nate.

nate.

Ay, yo, this rap is like ziti.

• GZ Regular
  • 14,546 posts
  • Original Name: Nater11

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

nice review, one of my fav bands.

0e5efacb-b8f0-4d66-9f87-bd9292db5751_zps

Harry Allen on you bitch, I believe no hype.

#4 randomorwhat

randomorwhat

"Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae"

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,964 posts
  • Location:The deep dark depths of pretention and bad grammar...apparently
  • Original Name: randomorwhat

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

Very good band indeed
Look out on a Summer's day, with eyes that know the darkness in my soul...

#5 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

Didnt I write that, I dont remember.

#6 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

The Entire Nation of Poland, herself.

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: jenniferdurst

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

You did now. laugh.gif

Sweet-ass! 351.5 Major-Points�, 1 Loki Ducat�, 1 Herr Mark, 5 Jackson Quints~
"you, my dear, are fabulous" -Trevor James Hawes
"Note to self. Hide penis." -Gus

#7 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

Huzzah biggrin.gif

#8 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Original Name: the cash

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:27 AM

Anyone care to recommend some cool music by DMB? I'd like to get to know them a bit better.

Soundclick! -- It's back!

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#9 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

Check the album reviews forum, I have stuff up there worth checking out.

#10 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:06 PM

Cool, will do. Thanks.

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#11 nate.

nate.

Ay, yo, this rap is like ziti.

• GZ Regular
  • 14,546 posts
  • Original Name: Nater11

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

Personally, Under The Table And Dreaming and Busted Stuff are my favorite albums

0e5efacb-b8f0-4d66-9f87-bd9292db5751_zps

Harry Allen on you bitch, I believe no hype.

#12 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

Well, I got meself Under The Table And Dreaming and Crash. And I'm not sad about my acquisitions at all, to say the least. Next up is Before These Crowded Streets. Great band.

And Nater, I see you're a Pearl Jam fan! They're probably my favourite band, good taste smile.gif

#13 seansdadj

seansdadj
  • 9 posts
  • Original Name: seansdadj

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

i wanna to see dmb so bad! i heard they're great.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...