- - - - -

Viper Pro AmpAny idea how old this baby is?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jeehannes

Jeehannes
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Jeehannes

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:24 AM

I just bought a Viper Pro Amp combo amplifier. It has has two Celestions G12-65's. It sounds fantastic, two channels, crisp, lots of 'headroom', no unwanted noise whatsoever... I'm happy smile.gif .
One thing though, I don't know anything about this amp, no date, nothing. It was manufactured by Pro Amp, Braintree, Essex, UK. The serial number (T 2974 BR 21) on the Celestions seems to indicate 1983 (according to Celestion , select chassis date codes in lower box). The serial number of the amp itself is C4 83/22. Google
yields very little, so my question is what year was it built and, although I don't wanna sell it, what might it be worth?

John

#2 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

A picture will help. Is it tube or solid state? You can usually tell how old an amplifier is by the cabinet style and the sort of knobs that were used on it.

#3 ubidubi

ubidubi
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: ubidubi

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, I've got one of those too. I had given up doin the detective work n found next to nothing on em. I do know they sound good! I believe they are a late seventies ish era amp. Its a hybrid with a solid state pre amp - i think - and a tube driven power amp. 2 x 6L6GC tubes. Its like a Fender Twin type amp but with a SS pre amp. A friend and fellow band member had one back in about 92ish and i always wanted one after hearing it. He had a 69 Les Paul goin thru it it was awesome chainsaw guitar!! I use a 57 reissue strat with kinman woodstock pickups in it, this also sounds frickin ###### hot! Now don't shoot me if the facts are a bit off but this is the info i've found on em. I am about to send mine to an amp tech who will hopefully be able to tell me a bit too.
So, excellent purchase my good man!!

Enjoy!

#4 Ian_1969

Ian_1969
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Ian_1969

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Amazing amp. Designed by John Cooper and had it's production height in the early 1980s. The ProAmps were built as copies of other great sounding amps. The Viper is a copy of the Musicman an as such uses finest components and has a sound to almost die for. They were built in Braintree, Essex and at the height of their success employed around 40 people had wiring/assembling these beautiful amps. 

You will never hear a bad word about their power and tone. Players lucky enough to have one often prefer them to Fender and Vox. I have a Viper and really love it. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...