name that guitar!

15 replies to this topic

#1 paulronny

paulronny
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Original Name: paulronny

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:35 PM

so, i got this old acoustic guitar that i got from my mom..
its bought sometime in the 70's and its an "Orfeo" guitar.
I was wondering if anybody has heard about orfeo cause i can not find anything about that anywhere. The guitar is an regular western with the hummingbird on it..
anybody that knows?

#2 Anglophone

Anglophone
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Original Name: Anglophone

Posted 05 March 2006 - 10:54 AM

Hmm, I will name that guitar Alfred.

#3 knot4reel91

knot4reel91
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Original Name: knot4reel91

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

wow you definately stumped me there, ive never heard of that kind of guitar.
JOHNNY

#4 Anglophone

Anglophone
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Original Name: Anglophone

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Now I will actually be helpful - I Googled Orfeo guitars and couldn't find anything about them, so it's probably just some small company that made cheap guitars.

#5 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,020 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:59 AM

I've seen "Orpheo" or "Orpheus" guitars before but not Orfeo.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#6 jonas friis

jonas friis
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: jonas friis

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:44 AM

Hej

funny to find this link, i just join this forum to respond to your post here...

I also have a guitar, with that name !, and the spell ise "ORFEO", ise acoustic guitar made in Japan. there are no date of produktion, but have a model number D7220,
This must bee a cheep build guitar, since the production where in Japan...

#7 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,020 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (jonas friis @ Feb 15 2008, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hej

funny to find this link, i just join this forum to respond to your post here...

I also have a guitar, with that name !, and the spell ise "ORFEO", ise acoustic guitar made in Japan. there are no date of produktion, but have a model number D7220,
This must bee a cheep build guitar, since the production where in Japan...

First, welcome to GTU. That's consistent with back when some guitars were first being copied in the Orient, you'd find inexpensive guitars where the logo wasn't quite the same as the original manufacturer's. Sometimes they would be phonetic mistakes, or sometimes simple visual mistakes made by someone not familiar enough with the English lanuage or alphabet. For example I have seen Oriental-made "Gidson" guitars (a flipped around d) and "Vocks" guitars (instead of an x) and even a "Wartin" (I think the W was a mistakenly made upside down M). So being logo'ed Orfeo is consistent with mistakes like that in trying to copy an Orpheo or Orpheus.

jacksontz.jpg

#8 julis88

julis88
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: julis88

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (paulronny @ Mar 4 2006, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so, i got this old acoustic guitar that i got from my mom..
its bought sometime in the 70's and its an "Orfeo" guitar.
I was wondering if anybody has heard about orfeo cause i can not find anything about that anywhere. The guitar is an regular western with the hummingbird on it..
anybody that knows?

So, we baught an Orfeo guitar for about 50 norwegian kroner (wich ecuals 10$). It is a very nice, jumbo, acoustic guitar from the late 60's, but we never really knew where it came from since we coudn't find any information about it.
So, my Godfather, who is an excellent guitarplayer, managed to find some backroud history about this guitar.
He found out that it was worth around 25,000 kroner (5000$), and was NOT a cheep made model.
The sound on this guitar is absolutely amazing, and the hand-craft is gorgeous! But it'e been sitting in a basement for
twenty years without beeing used other than on late after-parties, so it needs a little bit fixing.
But I just had to get this information out there, so if you have one, take good care of it! biggrin.gif

#9 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,020 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:55 AM

A late 60's Japanese Hummingbird copy worth more than a vintage Hummingbird original? If someone offers you 25,000kr for it, I would take it immediately (and leave quickly before he changes his mind!). (Or even 250kr!)

I'd still say it's an inexpensive Oriental copy. Not much on the internet about Orfeos, just a few clicks of people asking about them after buying or seeing one (including this topic) and one a few years ago in Harmony Central from someone in Oslo (which might have been you or your godfather looking) with no answers. The only other link I could find regarding an Orfeo guitar was an inquiry about a Les Paul copy that said "Made in Japan" stamped on the bolt-on metal neck-plate and Orpheo on the headstock. (Jonas Friis, who posted above, has an Orpheo too, an acoustic stamped Made in Japan.) It was inquired about in the Experts-Guitar forum...

To Expert: Bill Ruxton
Date: 1/16/2007
Subject: My guitar is?

Question:
Dear Bill,
I have an old guitar that i dug out of the attic after twenty years. It's a black Les Paul copy that says 'made in japan' on the metal neck screw plate. It says 'ORFEO' on the headstock. I remember buying it second hand in 1983 for a few GBP's off a mate, it was a few years old then. The grover tuners do not look original to me and its in bad condition now though. But it was my first 'baby' and I can find no reference to Orfeo guitars anywhere on the internet. Is this just cheap junk? or a super rare musical legend!!! lol. Any info would be appreciated because it does look like a kinda cool wee guitar. Many thanks...
William

Answer:
William,
Orfeo was probably a distributor's name rather than a maker's. I think I've seen one or two similar specimens over the years, also with a black finish. They were inexpensive, mass-produced instruments when new, and now they're just old inexpensive, mass-produced guitars. They have no interest among players or collectors. But so what? If it suits your ears, hands, and eyes, that's all you can ask of any guitar, regardless of value or price. If it's actually been in an attic for 20 years, extremes of heat, cold, and humidity have very likely inflicted multiple mortal wounds. For the price of professional repairs, you could probably get a nicer new guitar. If, by some miracle, it still stays in tune and plays OK, take care of it, and Have Fun with it.
Bill

I doubt that the same Japanese knock-off company would sell inexpensive LP copies and also, conversely, extremely valuable fine Hummingbird copies. I agree with "Bill" above when he says... "But so what? If it suits your ears, hands, and eyes, that's all you can ask of any guitar, regardless of value or price... If, by some miracle, it still stays in tune and plays OK, take care of it, and Have Fun with it."

And welcome to GTU.

jacksontz.jpg

#10 hurryhomehoney

hurryhomehoney
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: hurryhomehoney

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

Hi there folks!

Couple of weeks ago, I got me this sweet old lady form e-bay.

What can I say...the looks, the quality and the sound of the guitar are just marvelous!!!

However, I have NO IDEA who made this sweet SG-Copy, where it comes from (Japan?? perhaps built in one of the IBANEZ factories), when it was built (70s??), and what it actually may be worth :) I have never heard of the "brand", or distributor ORFEO!

Now, my question to all of you experts out there in this forum is: Does anyone have any information about that instrument? Any guesses at least? I've browsed the internet & asked the Google-oracle thousands of times now...but never got any answer!
Can you help me?

http://i1113.photobu...ey/IMG_2206.jpg
http://i1113.photobu.../IMG_2209-1.jpg

#11 Rico_bass

Rico_bass
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Rico_bass

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Hi there folks. First time here.
I got mine Orfeo SG in early 80s here in Brasil, purchased as an used 70s Japanese guitar.
And played her for 16 years in a bunch of rocknroll bands down here. Sounded always great with a single overdrive and a digitaldelay. And goes very good on clean nerly jazzy style.
I've seen 3 pcs of a model: hurryhomehoney's, mine and another sold in used guitar store down here.
Well, enjoy your new "sweet old lady" and check it out the links:
http://dl.dropbox.co...8/orfeo/SG1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.co...8/orfeo/SG2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.co...8/orfeo/SG3.JPG
Rgds, all folks.

Hi there folks!

Couple of weeks ago, I got me this sweet old lady form e-bay.

What can I say...the looks, the quality and the sound of the guitar are just marvelous!!!

However, I have NO IDEA who made this sweet SG-Copy, where it comes from (Japan?? perhaps built in one of the IBANEZ factories), when it was built (70s??), and what it actually may be worth :) I have never heard of the "brand", or distributor ORFEO!

Now, my question to all of you experts out there in this forum is: Does anyone have any information about that instrument? Any guesses at least? I've browsed the internet & asked the Google-oracle thousands of times now...but never got any answer!
Can you help me?

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k505/hurryhomehoney/IMG_2206.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k505/hurryhomehoney/IMG_2209-1.jpg

#12 guitarjonathan

guitarjonathan
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: guitarjonathan

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hi there!

I have one ORFEO classical nylon string guitar too. I bought it cheap at a second hand place and it is a fine guitar.
Even if it isn't worth much, it is still hard to find, so it is a rare instrument and very valuable to me. (ORFEO Model DC-103).

I also have a KUMIKA guitar as well. Very beautiful and also very rare. It is a steel stringed instrument, with flowers on the edge of the guitar.
(KUMIKA Model W 800). I will never sell them!!

#13 sonator

sonator
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: sonator

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

Here is a picture of my old Orfeo guitar from the seventies:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1648019134014.85418.1643017502&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=3313048278702&set=a.1648019134014.85418.1643017502&type=3&theater

#14 MJ Kobernus

MJ Kobernus
  • New (Facebook)
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: Michael Kobernus

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:02 AM

I have seen an Orfeo, which looks like a Martin D-35 copy. mid 70s, most likely Matsumoko, or similar. Puts me very strongly in mind of Terada, or Morris, which are most definitely collectible. 

#15 MJ Kobernus

MJ Kobernus
  • New (Facebook)
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: Michael Kobernus

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:14 AM

Now I will actually be helpful - I Googled Orfeo guitars and couldn't find anything about them, so it's probably just some small company that made cheap guitars.

Not really. I have seen an Orfeo that was a Martin copy, and it was beyond stunning. Very much not a cheap knock-off. 

It might not have the same cachet as other makes, but I suspect that this may be from the same factory as Morris guitars. These are known to be pretty decent and are certainly collectible. Just my two cents, as it were, but I would hang on to the Orfeo.

#16 ricklt

ricklt
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: ricklt

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

Saw an Orfeo classical on Reverb.com it was made in Madrid Spain. Marcelino Lopez Nieto Orfeo natural 1960

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...