Sheet music to tabs

12 replies to this topic

#1 Craig61

Craig61
  • Pip
  • 156 posts
  • Original Name: Craig61

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:59 PM

Is there any type of computer program that you could scan sheet music into and it would spit out the guitar tabs to it??

#2 john_p12

john_p12
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Original Name: john_p12

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

yeah. 'power tab' and 'guitar pro' both can, and others i can't recall.
but it's pretty much the opposite. (i.e. tabs into sheet).

[you can also extract sheet/tabs from midi files (*.mid).]

but actually 'scanning' sheetmusic in format *.JPG/.GIF/.PNG (etc.) would be a pretty difficult task, since they're pictures and the computer can't tell the difference between all the pixels that shape your notes (actually it could, but that's another story..).

maybe i don't get exactly what you're looking for.. explain what type of sheet music?
answer me or i'll get mad.

good day.
IPB Image
noalarmsandnosurprisesplease

#3 Craig61

Craig61
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:52 PM

I can not read sheet music. A friend of mine is a computer guru and he found a program that he can scan into the computer and it will play a midi file of the notes scanned. He can make it sound like a piano, flute or what ever. We play chords in church. I would like to play a melody line and let him play chords but my problem is I can't read the notes. Since I am an old fart and don't want to learn I was hoping there might a computer program that would change the sheet music notes into tabs.

#4 john_p12

john_p12
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:56 PM

ok, from what i understand, you have a specific kind of sheet music (files) that can viewed with a specific program. well i'd like to know what program that is, if you have any idea, because that could help. im also guessing this program you're talking about is not guitar oriented. that said, i think you're gonna have to rewrite all these notes onto another program.. and

since the music you want to play is for church, it's probably (or relatively) simple melodies over a few chord progressions. that means it shouldn't be too hard to rewrite note by note into your new program. right? ok.

what happens is that the sheet music your friend is playing is (probably) formatted to be played and/or viewed with the specific program. meaning that these files have extensions recognizable only by this program, therefore they cannot be edited by other programs that would allow you to 'translate' them into tabs.

thats where these jump in - either 'tabledit' or 'guitar-pro'. i'd recommend 'tabledit' because there's no b.s. and it works. you're gonna have to write the notes where they belong (in the mesures) and the numbered tab notes will appear at the bottom according to each 'standardly noted' note you've written. (you do that by selecting where you want it and pressing 'enter') i can't give you more details because i've never done it myself.

now this would probably take lots of time, depending on your abilities with software and the lengh/complexity of your church scores. another obstacle you could encounter is the arrangement of the fingerings, because we know a single note can be achieved differents ways on the guitar. and so on..

you could wait for more responses or recommendations, i say. but that's pretty much my point of view. tell me how it works out, and/or if you need help.

good day.
IPB Image

#5 Craig61

Craig61
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:19 AM

This is the email that I got from my friend and the programs he is using for the music files. FYI

To scan the music, I'm using SharpEye. Stupid sounding name. But it's
free for a trial period. It works ok for piano music, but I think it
will work better for music that has only one note at a time, i.e. flute,
trumpet, etc. I think the chords are a little tough. Maybe a higher
quality scan would resolve it. as it is, it just requires some clean up
work to get the timing right.
Once I've scanned it in, I save it as a midi. For some reason, I can't
play that midi in Windows media player. But if you open it in
Noteworthy Composer (also a free download) you can edit the notes on the
sheet music itself. Once you save THAT as a midi, WMP will play it just
fine.

#6 sixgunsound

sixgunsound

RDRR

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,296 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

I think it would probably be easier just to learn to read music.

10 major points™

#7 john_p12

john_p12
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (sixgunsound @ Mar 16 2006, 01:52 PM)
I think it would probably be easier just to learn to read music.

yeah..
you could always ask someone to transcribe it for you. i don't know man..
i've said all i know. try other forums or something.

good luck.
IPB Image

#8 Craig61

Craig61
  • Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Yeah I agree it would probably easier to just learn to read music, but I am old and crabby so we will see what happens. Thanks anyway guys.

#9 sixgunsound

sixgunsound

RDRR

• Ombudsman
  • 36,296 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

If you need help reading music you can make a new thread and we would be happy to help you. It's really not too hard.

10 major points™

#10 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,096 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

I think it is possible to do it on Finale Notepad, which is a popular point and click notation freeware program among cheap musicians like me. I used it for a while until I got Sibelius which is a expensive program (there are ways around not having to buy it though but it will be a older version though). Sibelius is great but its hard to learn quickly, Finale is easy. I am pretty sure it does the same thing as the Powertab Editior but has better midi and stuff.

#11 john_p12

john_p12
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Mar 18 2006, 01:58 PM)
I think it is possible to do it on Finale Notepad, which is a popular point and click notation freeware program among cheap musicians like me. I used it for a while until I got Sibelius which is a expensive program (there are ways around not having to buy it though but it will be a older version though). Sibelius is great but its hard to learn quickly, Finale is easy. I am pretty sure it does the same thing as the Powertab Editior but has better midi and stuff.

yeah but can you actually 'scan' sheet music? as in not having to write it down, but simply scanning it.
IPB Image

#12 Epiphone_SG1142

Epiphone_SG1142
  • 4 posts
  • Original Name: Epiphone_SG1142

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

i suggest u just learn to read music its not hard even if u are a little slow at first but trust me its worth the time.

#13 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:38 PM

Reading music is really not that hard. It gets easier the more you do it and after a point you'll find TABs more annoying. I'm a music major and my teachers don't even acknowledge TABs.

Take a MUSIC 100 class at the local community college. You'll be good to go after that class.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...