18 replies to this topic

#1 brenton7

brenton7
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Original Name: brenton7

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

Hey, me and my mate are thinking of playing live soon, and obviously want to do our own stuff, but also some other covers. Any suggestions for good acoustic songs with two guitars and either one or duet vocals.

Also, on a separate note, any good blues tunes that we could play live.

#2 vmorrissette

vmorrissette
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Original Name: vmorrissette

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:51 AM

Eric Clapton's 'unplugged' is an all acoustic guitar album. Most of the songs, such as Layla, Tears in Heaven, and many others have dual guitars playing in them. I do also designate it a blues album, so that answers your question. A problem may be that Clapton is the only person doing the singing, but you could fix that. Anyways, just check the CD out... it is actually a live performance... it should give you some great ideas.
It might be too popish for you... aspecialy sinc he originates from the UK, but you could always play a James Blunt song... most of them (i.e. beautiful) involve rhythm strumming and picking.
I don't know how many quitars are played in each part, but you could always do tequila sunrise, love will keep us alive, or some other Eagles songs. Dust in the Wind would go off pretty well... and if you are really good then you could do an acoustic rendition of House of the Rising Sun (not the Dylan version).
Oh, and if you really wanted to you could download a version of Ben Harper and Jack Johnson's High Tide or Low Tide (bob marley cover)... which is a legal download because it is off of a live TRL show and not present on any album. It is a dual guitar and dual vocal song. There is also a version of Crazy Love that Van Morrison and Bob Dylan did together... it is superb.
Good Luck.

Edited by vmorrissette, 31 May 2006 - 06:52 AM.

#3 stewy baby

stewy baby
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Original Name: stewy baby

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (voodoogav @ May 31 2006, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (vmorrissette @ May 31 2006, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might be too popish for you... aspecialy sinc he originates from the UK

What do you mean by that missy?!!??!!?! tongue.gif

you go gav. at least we can spell
IPB ImageRay Lamontagne

#4 brenton7

brenton7
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (vmorrissette @ May 31 2006, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eric Clapton's 'unplugged' is an all acoustic guitar album. Most of the songs, such as Layla, Tears in Heaven, and many others have dual guitars playing in them. I do also designate it a blues album, so that answers your question. A problem may be that Clapton is the only person doing the singing, but you could fix that. Anyways, just check the CD out... it is actually a live performance... it should give you some great ideas.
It might be too popish for you... aspecialy sinc he originates from the UK, but you could always play a James Blunt song... most of them (i.e. beautiful) involve rhythm strumming and picking.
I don't know how many quitars are played in each part, but you could always do tequila sunrise, love will keep us alive, or some other Eagles songs. Dust in the Wind would go off pretty well... and if you are really good then you could do an acoustic rendition of House of the Rising Sun (not the Dylan version).
Oh, and if you really wanted to you could download a version of Ben Harper and Jack Johnson's High Tide or Low Tide (bob marley cover)... which is a legal download because it is off of a live TRL show and not present on any album. It is a dual guitar and dual vocal song. There is also a version of Crazy Love that Van Morrison and Bob Dylan did together... it is superb.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice, I've ordered the EC album and will look at some of the songs on it, also the Eagles sound like a pretty good idea. And if I wanted to play James Blunt, I wouldn't bother advertising it to the world, mate.

#5 Sabbath89

Sabbath89
  • 96 posts
  • Original Name: Sabbath89

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

Definately Tears In Heaven by Clapton.
"You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you
want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe
filled with whipped cream" - Frank Zappa

IPB Image

"The Blues are easy to play, but hard to hear" - Jimi Hendrix

#6 mr.santa

mr.santa
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: mr.santa

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

i think so cool when hear Eagles song, special is Hotel Cali.We had tried play it but it's difficult to play same cd.How do?

#7 Metfan1886

Metfan1886
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Original Name: Metfan1886

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

try some eagles like Take It Easy, Tequila Sunrise etc.

#8 Will_Wood

Will_Wood

Rabble Rouser Extraordinaire

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,840 posts
  • Original Name: Will_Wood

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:53 PM

If you want a good upbeat song to play live, check out my soundclick for a song called "July, July". It's a really, really fun song to play.
Posted Image

#9 MakoMako

MakoMako

It's my power animal...

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Original Name: MakoMako

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:56 PM

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with this, but this time it really does apply. Check out some Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds stuff. The only thing is, on alot of their songs Tim uses a slide, so you may want to check into that first if you decide on some of their stuff.

Send me a message if you want any of their stuff, in case your interested in doing it.

#10 Yahmez

Yahmez

James

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Original Name: Yahmez

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:59 PM

Yeah DMB has some good upbeat acoustic stuff; you could easily pull of renditions of "Everyday", "Crash", "When the World Ends", "Ants Marching" or "I Did It" with two acoustic guitars. A lot of Supergrass' stuff sounds really good when played acoustically, I've heard a live version of "Caught by the Fuzz" which is played as a guitar duo and it all sounds great, by them I'd consider trying "Caught by the Fuzz", "It's Not Me", "Sun Hits the Sky", "Mary" could be really cool if one of you plays the keys also.
IPB Image
I have 10 Major-Points™ and 1 Tzara Point™

#11 brenton7

brenton7
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (Will_Wood @ Jun 6 2006, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want a good upbeat song to play live, check out my soundclick for a song called "July, July". It's a really, really fun song to play.

That's a pretty good song, actually mate. Do you know who did it originally, and/or where to get the music to it from (both parts, my mate plays the harmonica)

#12 Will_Wood

Will_Wood

• GZ Regular
  • 36,840 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (brenton7 @ Jun 8 2006, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Will_Wood @ Jun 6 2006, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a pretty good song, actually mate. Do you know who did it originally, and/or where to get the music to it from (both parts, my mate plays the harmonica)

Well, I wrote the harmonica parts, but the song is July, July by the Decemberists. It really is a lot of fun to play live and it gets the crowd bopping their heads.
Posted Image

#13 brenton7

brenton7
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

cheers for that. any other artists/songs i should look into?

#14 Will_Wood

Will_Wood

• GZ Regular
  • 36,840 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:58 PM

Well, There's a whole bunch of Decemberist songs that sound great live. "Red Right Ankle", and "Engine Driver" being two of the greatest ones to play live.
Posted Image

#15 Captain_Trips

Captain_Trips

it was fun, while it lasted

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,000 posts
  • Original Name: Captain_Trips

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:22 PM

Of course I am going to recommend live acoustic Dead. Some of their best work really and some great songs

Dire Wolf
Ripple
Cassidy
Bird Song
Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shine
Come to Daddy on an inside straight
I got no chance of losing this time
No, I got no chance of losing this time

#16 hendrix05

hendrix05
  • 70 posts
  • Original Name: hendrix05

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:15 AM

do lcuky man or drugs dont work by the verve
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!!!

user posted image

#17 Will_Wood

Will_Wood

• GZ Regular
  • 36,840 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

Nutshell by Alice in chains is always good if you can pull it off.
Posted Image

#18 brenton7

brenton7
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:58 PM

I love "Engine Driver" now, such a great but simple song. The drumming is really good, a sort of snare roll coming throughout in time, with the mix of simple acoustic chords, and the chorus sticks in my mind as one of the best I've heard in a while. I've decided we might go ahead and record this song as well. Cheers for whoever suggested it.

#19 Will_Wood

Will_Wood

• GZ Regular
  • 36,840 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (brenton7 @ Jun 20 2006, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love "Engine Driver" now, such a great but simple song. The drumming is really good, a sort of snare roll coming throughout in time, with the mix of simple acoustic chords, and the chorus sticks in my mind as one of the best I've heard in a while. I've decided we might go ahead and record this song as well. Cheers for whoever suggested it.

It was me.

And you should listen and buy every Decemberist song and record. They're beautiful.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...