- - - - -

sweet home alabama help

8 replies to this topic

Posted 31 May 2002 - 03:47 PM

ive got this song down pretty good but i need some help with what settings i should put my amp on and junk like that so that i can get the best out of this song, any tips would be greatly appreciated

[ This Message was edited by: the_next_slash on 2002-05-31 18:48 ]

#2 namrednef

namrednef

namrednef

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts
  • Original Name: namrednef

Posted 31 May 2002 - 06:39 PM

You need to know that that recording is nearly 30 years old. There was a pretty good assortment of FX available then, but many 'roots' rockers and southern rock bands were relying mainly upon their guitars and a decent amp.
Sweet Home offers almost nothing in terms of overt distortion. Indeed, the main driving force is a fairly clean sounding Strat.
...The type settings used in much rock of this type would involve getting some distortion from balancing the levels between the channel volume, and the Master volume of the amp....A level that allows the player to control how wild his sound is by how he plays.
...It will be hard to reproduce exactly what the record does without a guitar with single coil p/u's....in the chorus and perhaps in that short 4 bar solo before the main solo you may hear a slightly distorted guitar.

Try your amp settings to get the closest sound you can get at low (guitar) volume....but a sound that will start to break up when you crank the guitar volume.

Hope this helps

Nam
"You should ween her......she's old enough......"

Doghouse Reilly

#3 testify

testify

If it wasent for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Original Name: testify

Posted 01 June 2002 - 08:40 AM

I think Gary Rossington played all the solo part's on sweet home alabama and he play's a 59' Les Paul, ed king is the strat player and he started off in the band as the bass player untill ronnie van zant told him that he was the worst bass player he'd ever heard an suggested that he switch to guitar which was a good idea really considering ed went on to play the solo at the end of freebird!! :smile:
Posted Image

#4 namrednef

namrednef

namrednef

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 01 June 2002 - 05:29 PM

Ed King played the main riff and the longer solo....and wrote most of the tune

Nam

Doghouse Reilly

#5 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 03 June 2002 - 03:42 AM

On 2002-06-01 11:40, testify wrote:
ed king is the strat player and he started off in the band as the bass player untill ronnie van zant told him that he was the worst bass player he'd ever heard an suggested that he switch to guitar which was a good idea really considering ed went on to play the solo at the end of freebird!! :smile:

Ed King was only drafted in as the bassist when Leon Wilkeson freaked out because he was afraid of fame and he quit. van Zabt had seen King play a while earler and had been impressed with his playing. After they cut their debut album, 'Pronounced....', Wilkeson rejoined and King switched to guitar. Oh yeah, it was actually Allen Collins that played the main parts of the solo on the original album version of 'Freebird.' He also played on the demo version, but a few bars in he broke a string so the rest of the band kept on playing the rhythmn part without him until he restrung and joined back in near the climax of the song. Sadly in '86 Collins got in a car accident that paralysed him, so he never played guitar again, and four years later he died.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#6 namrednef

namrednef

namrednef

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 05:59 AM

That's all true HMB.....and some folks should know:
Collins solo at the end of Freebird was double tracked.....so slowing it down to learn it will only confuse you. Still in the top 10 solos in my book though.

Ed King was a member of 'psychedelic' band Strawberry Alarm Clock and did their guitar work too. He couldn't handle the touring life at Skynyrd speed and had to be replaced. btw.....Leslie West begged and begged to join after King was let go.....but R. Van Zandt was correct in vetoing that move. Steve Gaines was tried out only because he was Cassie Gaines brother.....but won the job because he was great.

Nam

Doghouse Reilly

#7 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,882 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 03 June 2002 - 07:31 AM

Wow, a "blast from the past"! Strawberry Alarm Clock! I used to like them way-back-when. I saw them open for Buffalo Springfield (well, actually, Soul Survivors opened, then the Alarm Clock, then Buffalo Springfield). Anyway, I never knew that!
Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

Posted Image
John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#8 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 03 June 2002 - 07:49 AM

On 2002-06-03 08:59, namrednef wrote:

btw.....Leslie West begged and begged to join after King was let go.....but R. Van Zandt was correct in vetoing that move. Steve Gaines was tried out only because he was Cassie Gaines brother.....but won the job because he was great.

I never knew West wanted to join up. He's one of the most talented guitarists of all time (and one of my favourites), but I don't know how well he'd have fitted in the the rest of them though. Gaines was killed in the plane crash along with his sister Cassie (a backing singer with the band) and R. Van Zant as far as I remember.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#9 namrednef

namrednef

namrednef

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 01:52 PM

Yep.....you got the facts there HMB. West is a fave of mine too....shows up on Howard Stern 2-3 times a year and is always a great guest.
I read that bit about LS and West in Rolling Stone in the mid-70's (when RS mag was still worth reading)....it was by-lined by a reporter who was there at the meeting with Van Zandt and West in a NYC club.....Ronnie drinking Scotch and West with a diet coke....and Ronnie saying...."nope...nope...nope"

Dadfad.....yeah Ed King....a very good guitar-man I think you'll agree....started the SAC. You can see him on lounging on those "far out" pillows in all his fat glory on the album cover.

Where's my bowl.....????? Doh!

Nam

Doghouse Reilly

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...