- - - - -

Some good songs to play by the camp firewhat songs?

34 replies to this topic

#1 knot4reel91

knot4reel91
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Original Name: knot4reel91

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

Hey all,

im lookin for some songs that i can play sitting around the campfire with my friends. im 15 years old so id prefer some songs that my friends might know and can well... sing along with. im in kind of a mental block and dont really know what i should play. i'd appreciate any help i can get.

thanks,
johnny
JOHNNY

#2 Metfan1886

Metfan1886
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Original Name: Metfan1886

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

take it easy by eagles

#3 Jmp51483

Jmp51483
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Original Name: Jmp51483

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Metfan1886 @ Jun 21 2006, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
take it easy by eagles

Is he going to know the eagles being 15? ... Don't take it as a flame, just most kids I know that are 15 have no idea who the Eagles are

#4 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,864 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:54 AM

From an old topic...
Campfire-type Tunes

There have been several good posts on campfire songs in this forum but the "search" feature now is a piece of useless crap so it might be hard to find them. A few tunes might be old popular folk-songs like "Puff the Magic Dragon", "Blowin' In The Wind", "If I Had A Hammer" and the ever-popular (or never-popular) "Kumbaya", etc. Also old Western stuff like "Home On The Range", "Red River Valley" or slightly newer things too like "(Lay Around The) Shanty" or "Like A Rolling Stone" or "Hey Joe". If you need more than four or five chords, it's probably not a good "campfire" song.

Most of them are just simple strummed three-chord progressions, using common chords like G, C and D. Or A, D and E. etc. A lot of folk and country tunes use progressions like that. You can probably find tunes you like that are pretty easy. Like the Hendrix tune "Hey Joe", just a simple 4-chord progression. In its simplest form like you'd use around a campfire maybe, it is slowly playing the chord progression C-G-D-A-E....

[C] Hey [G]Joe, [D] where you [A]goin' with that [E]gun in your hand.....etc... (same for the other verses)

Most of the other tunes I listed above can be played like that. Just simple chords with simple progressions. And as you get better, they can be added to with little runs or melody notes, more complex chords, etc. So old stuff or a little newer stuff like Dylan and simpler Beatles tunes, Eagles or Stones maybe, etc. Tunes where you sing the verses, but at least with choruses that everybody can join in on are good ones too, like say "Yellow Submarine" or "American Pie" that way everyone can still take part. Tunes that are easy to play and most people know the words too make the best campfire tunes. Playing campfire tunes is generally more of a group activity and not just an informal solo performance.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

Posted Image
John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#5 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:11 AM

I have no idea what 15 year olds listen to these days.

#6 MakoMako

MakoMako

It's my power animal...

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Original Name: MakoMako

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Jun 22 2006, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no idea what 15 year olds listen to these days.

Mostly Hip-Hop and Punk to my knowledge. I'm 16, but I hate most the music I hear people listening to in my school.

As for a song to play by the campfire, American Pie tends to be one everyone knows. You could even try a little Joy To The World by Three Dog Nights. (its the "jeremiah was a bullfrog..." one)

#7 GuitarGrizz

GuitarGrizz

Brandon

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts
  • Original Name: fenderguitarfreak

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (Jmp51483 @ Jun 21 2006, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

take it easy by eagles

Is he going to know the eagles being 15? ... Don't take it as a flame, just most kids I know that are 15 have no idea who the Eagles are

who doesnt know who the eagles are...most people i am sure have listened or recognize at least one of their songs. I am thirteen and I love the eagles. just saying.
------------------------------------------------

#8 Zaphod-B

Zaphod-B
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Original Name: Zaphod-B

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

Most of the people I know (16-17) either know who the eagles are, or know hotel california but don't really know who it's by.

But most of the people I know listen to alot of styles of music (although all of it guitar music), one of my friends listens to almost every genre of music, literally, from metal to hip hop to rap to classic rock (and hes an awesome guitarist too)
IPB Image

#9 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Original Name: rayvon87

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Zaphod-B)
one of my friends listens to almost every genre of music, literally, from metal to hip hop to rap to classic rock (and hes an awesome guitarist too)
That's like me, I listen to everything. If it sounds good, I'll listen.

im lookin for some songs that i can play sitting around the campfire with my friends. im 15 years old so id prefer some songs that my friends might know and can well... sing along with. im in kind of a mental block and dont really know what i should play. i'd appreciate any help i can get.
You could try some Jack Johnson, maybe some songs that don't require too hard a pickin', unless you think you can pull it off. Maybe 'Taylor' or 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing' or 'Banana Pancakes'.

Try this thread. It should give you the right idea.

Hope I could help. smile.gif

Edited by rayvon87, 22 June 2006 - 11:58 PM.

IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#10 knot4reel91

knot4reel91
  • Pip
  • 111 posts
  • Original Name: knot4reel91

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

yeah well as far as the eagles go, im a huge eagles fan. im not much into any of the new hip hop/ rap music nor the punk stuff. im more into sixties and seventies acoustic rock with some newer alternative stuff thrown in the mix. but thanks everybody for your help.
JOHNNY

#11 Anesthesiafgx

Anesthesiafgx

Lurking occasionally 8+ yrs.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Original Name: Anesthesiafgx

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

Play Dani California. Your friends should know that. Some DMB would probably go over pretty well too. And of course the inevitable blah Jack Johnson that everyone loves. You wouldn't really be selling your soul by that; just stay away from James Blunt songs, whatever you do. And I could give you a bunch of great stuff from the 90s your friends might or might not know, but the album in my sig is a good place to start. I'm only 3 years older than you, and I remember hearing it on the radio back in the day.

#12 nate.

nate.

Ay, yo, this rap is like ziti.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,546 posts
  • Original Name: Nater11

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (fenderguitarfreak @ Jun 22 2006, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

take it easy by eagles

who doesnt know who the eagles are...most people i am sure have listened or recognize at least one of their songs. I am thirteen and I love the eagles. just saying.

i think knowing the eagles has a lot to do with playing guitar. like for example, would you listen to or even know who Cream is if you didnt play? i wouldnt... i knew a few, classic rock bands, but not many. if you never started playing guitar, would you know about Joe, Timmy, and other?
(you might have, but i this is in generallities)

QUOTE (rayvon87 @ Jun 23 2006, 02:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Zaphod-B)
one of my friends listens to almost every genre of music, literally, from metal to hip hop to rap to classic rock (and hes an awesome guitarist too)
That's like me, I listen to everything. If it sounds good, I'll listen.

You could try some Jack Johnson, maybe some songs that don't require too hard a pickin', unless you think you can pull it off. Maybe 'Taylor' or 'Sitting, Waiting, Wishing' or 'Banana Pancakes'.

Try this thread. It should give you the right idea.

Hope I could help. smile.gif

word, dude. Jack Johnson rocks. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing is really easy and fun to play.

QUOTE (Anesthesiafgx @ Jun 24 2006, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Play Dani California. Your friends should know that. Some DMB would probably go over pretty well too. And of course the inevitable blah Jack Johnson that everyone loves. You wouldn't really be selling your soul by that; just stay away from James Blunt songs, whatever you do. And I could give you a bunch of great stuff from the 90s your friends might or might not know, but the album in my sig is a good place to start. I'm only 3 years older than you, and I remember hearing it on the radio back in the day.

yesani.gif nice one buddy.

0e5efacb-b8f0-4d66-9f87-bd9292db5751_zps

Harry Allen on you bitch, I believe no hype.

#13 greatness7410

greatness7410
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Original Name: greatness7410

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:14 PM

Play emo. sure, It's uncomfortable, but women love it.

Blink 182 - that really depressing one they are playing now.

Thursday, Hawthorne Heights, etc. - most work

John Lennon's solo stuff is better.

#14 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:04 PM

I'm a hippie at heart....nothing's better than Grateful Dead by the campfire yesani.gif yesani.gif yesani.gif yesani.gif

Edited by ninjato, 24 June 2006 - 04:04 PM.

#15 rayvon87

rayvon87
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Original Name: rayvon87

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

^Brewer & Shipley's 'One Toke Over The Line' biggrin.gif. If they don't know it, teach it!
IPB Image
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P.

#16 Kellaust

Kellaust
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Original Name: Kellaust

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:58 AM

Dashboard Confessional yesani.gif

The two songs that you're friends'll probably know the words to are Hands Down and Vindicated.

#17 pimp_vince

pimp_vince

Laws, as effective a deterrant as broken condoms for birth contr

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  • Original Name: pimp_vince

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:27 PM

um ya, so if you wany your friends to think you actually have a vagina, take this last guy's advice. otherwise:

don mclean - american pie
bob dylan - mr. tamborine man
james taylor - sweet baby james
neil young - out on the weekend
neil young - harvest
beatles - rocky raccoon
led zeppelin - babe i'm gonna leave you
rolling stones - wild horses
some simon & garfunkel if you can pull it off
the tragically hip - wheat kings
the tragically hip - bobcaygeon
traditional - oh susannah (preferably the james taylor version)
maybe some hootie and the blowfish...

IMO that's a kick ass campfire song list. now just get a jug o' kersene and get jammin!

#18 Naan

Naan

"That ear I mean, Jesus"

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • Original Name: Naan100

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:55 AM

take it easy by eagles

are you really serious ?

#19 lolmerule

lolmerule
  • Pip
  • 162 posts
  • Original Name: lolmerule

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:51 AM

trust me being a 15 year old myself everyone at our age knows who the eagles are ud be surprised wat alot of kids our age listen 2. i listen to heaps of older music and so does everyone at my skool u old ppl dont know ######

#20 Naan

Naan

"That ear I mean, Jesus"

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,954 posts
  • Original Name: Naan100

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:05 AM

QUOTE (lolmerule @ Jul 8 2006, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
trust me being a 15 year old myself everyone at our age knows who the eagles are ud be surprised wat alot of kids our age listen 2. i listen to heaps of older music and so does everyone at my skool u old ppl dont know ######

no yeah I do know as I am also 15...I was just suprised that, the other poster said that no our age does not even know who the Eagles are ! I mean Hotel Califonia everyone knows rolleyes.gif and other of their brilliant hits too yesani.gif now its down to if they appreaciate the music !!

Edited by Naan100, 08 July 2006 - 06:36 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...