Statement Regarding Legality of TabsWhat I have to say...

808 replies to this topic

#21 gibson123

gibson123
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: gibson123

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

wow!!! This sucks. All us young musicians are trying to improve our techniques and teach others as well. I don't understand how these tabs are copyright infringement, it makes no sense what so ever. there one persons interpretation of a song and sites like these help sell original sheet music. Someone gets mad cause the tab doesnt sound right they buy the book. Whats the difference of looking up the tab on the internet and playing it or going down to the music store and sitting there for a few ours with a tab book in front of you learning your favorite song then leaving without purchesing the book. Is this the kind of thing us musicians are going to have to revert to. some one from the MPA was smoking to much weed or something and didn't think this through. Now many people will loose interest in their instrument because they will become frusterated and stuck and give up. We cant let this happen. KEEP FIGHTING. Tabs are not illegal!!! this sounds like a company trying to make money and become a monopoly. Peace

Fellow conserned guitarest

Justin guitar.gif

#22 in_repair

in_repair

I'm taking off my pants, and I'm going to jacket.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • Location:A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
  • Original Name: in_repair

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

The MPA are being completely unreasonable. Like Rob said, the actual copyright holders don't even care.

Threadless.com: SIIIICK t-shirts. Seriously.

"Even if it's a fake name, like Johnny McSmilies." -Rob
"Johnny McSmilies is a boss name." -Jiveturkey
"I tried setting my hotmail password to penis. I was then told that it wasn't long enough." -Nealmac
"I am spam." -The Major

#23 MagMa

MagMa
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: MagMa

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:27 PM

Here's what I sent to MPA.org today. (NMPA.org seems to have crashed - maybe too many angry emails?) I encourage everyone to voice your concerns about this issue or pretty soon the good old US of A is going to start looking a whole lot like the good old USSR. And no people, this is not just something we need to get used to. If you don't fight for your rights, no one else will.

To MPA.org
I was very disheartened to learn that your organization has effectively shut down the website Guitar Tab Universe based on the false pretext of copyright infringement. In order for a copyright to be infringed, it must be registered and published. I can assure you that many of these songs are not. That is why people go to tabs sites. What is posted on these sites is someone's interpretation of an original song, not a reproduction of any original published work. You even acknowledge on your own website that much of this work is unpublished. You claim that it is too time consuming for your "official" publishers to produce high quality sheet music and tabs when there is so much free tablature on the web. How difficult can it be when any 16 year old with a guitar and a good ear can sit down and tab out a song in one afternoon? As someone who has purchased numerous song books and sheet music as well as surfed the net for tabs, I can tell you that I have been more pleased with the amateur tabs I have found than with any "official" songbook I have EVER purchased (a la Hal Leonard and very few others). This is why people have resorted to tabbing out songs on their own and sharing them with other musicians. Because what IS published is - excuse my French - merde. Perhaps if you partnered with some of these organizations and assisted them in publishing "the right way", we would all be better off. It is very disturbing to see corporations like yours resort to such tactics just because you can. You are doing yourself a huge disservice by choosing to alienate potentially millions of new customers.

#24 string_king_13

string_king_13
  • 16 posts
  • Original Name: string_king_13

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (MagMa @ Jul 17 2006, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's what I sent to MPA.org today. (NMPA.org seems to have crashed - maybe too many angry emails?) I encourage everyone to voice your concerns about this issue or pretty soon the good old US of A is going to start looking a whole lot like the good old USSR. And no people, this is not just something we need to get used to. If you don't fight for your rights, no one else will.

To MPA.org
I was very disheartened to learn that your organization has effectively shut down the website Guitar Tab Universe based on the false pretext of copyright infringement. In order for a copyright to be infringed, it must be registered and published. I can assure you that many of these songs are not. That is why people go to tabs sites. What is posted on these sites is someone's interpretation of an original song, not a reproduction of any original published work. You even acknowledge on your own website that much of this work is unpublished. You claim that it is too time consuming for your "official" publishers to produce high quality sheet music and tabs when there is so much free tablature on the web. How difficult can it be when any 16 year old with a guitar and a good ear can sit down and tab out a song in one afternoon? As someone who has purchased numerous song books and sheet music as well as surfed the net for tabs, I can tell you that I have been more pleased with the amateur tabs I have found than with any "official" songbook I have EVER purchased (a la Hal Leonard and very few others). This is why people have resorted to tabbing out songs on their own and sharing them with other musicians. Because what IS published is - excuse my French - merde. Perhaps if you partnered with some of these organizations and assisted them in publishing "the right way", we would all be better off. It is very disturbing to see corporations like yours resort to such tactics just because you can. You are doing yourself a huge disservice by choosing to alienate potentially millions of new customers.

ok..the first half was good!!! but you lost me on the second half. the amateur tabs are not better..in fact they are most time wrong or incomplete! thats why i think its crap what is happening!! the copyrighted tabs have the time signature, tab, notes(guitar and vocal), and lyrics. these amateur tabs have none of that! its like saying that my car is too much like yours cause it has an engine and a seat.
i do still appreciate what you are doing! keep it up guitar.gif

#25 sxybny

sxybny
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: sxybny

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:20 PM

Sooo.....clearly this MPA is American right?

#26 Guitar newbie =(

Guitar newbie =(
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Guitar newbie =(

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

I just signed up after reading this article (post, whatever you ppl call it) and im just missing all the tabs =( (especially the Misc tabs)
sad.gif
Guitar forever and ever!

#27 Lula1100

Lula1100

3 Herr Marks

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,538 posts
  • Original Name: Lula1100

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

Wow.

Rob is like the fecking Martin Luther King of guitar related web-sites. happy.gif

#28 Jaybone

Jaybone
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Jaybone

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

I find the Tabulature method of instruction an Innovative tool in teaching aspiring musicans the essentials needed to become GREAT MUSICANS. I support TABULAURE as a musican myself!! This is not talking about the recording artists them selves despising this method or coming down on US, but its there record execs that are going "OH NO!! tabs online showing how my recording artist plays his or her songs......This cant be. NO ONE MUST KNOW HOW TO PLAY IT WITH OUT PUTTING MONEY IN MY POCKET."

THEY ARE GREEN WITH ENVY AND MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO PEOPLE LIKE US, NOW THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!

SUPPORT THE ADVANCEMENT OF GUITAR TABS ONLINE, ALL MUSIC AND ALL KNOWLEDGE.

Post a bulletin on myspace. Thats what I did. We need to get the message out GUITAR TABS ONLINE ARE NOT ILLEGAL!!

#29 audio_revelution

audio_revelution
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: audio_revelution

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:13 PM

ok seriously, what is wrong with sharing your gifts because thats what tabbing is! its just listening to any given song and figuring out strum patterns (or rhythm patterns) and chords and other techniques that the artist uses then sharing it with others. That takes a gift to be able to do that. Now the guys running the crap like this is deciding what we should or shouldn't be able to do with our gifts. You know what they can shove that where the sun doesn't shine because what do they know. All they want is their money!! mad.gif These artists make more than enough money so I don't think they really give a hoot. I mean do you see Rob Zombie, Green Day, Kelly Clarkson, Tim McGraw, or any of those other artists going broke or somethin? Uh...NO!! Why don't they go and bug the illegal down loaders!!! #$%#@#$%@#$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~RJ~

#30 acdc_rox123

acdc_rox123
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: acdc_rox123

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:40 PM

I subscribed to this website souly to reply to this monstrosity. This is, plain and simply, BULL$!%%!!!! I cant belive that these people are using this as an excuse to get some spare money in their pockets, when we go to this site because some of us cant even offord to buy hal leonard tabliture books, or get lessons!!!!!!!!! I told my friend the first verse of a song, it's not like hes going to go and steal the title and make it his own!!!!!!! If someone can get an e-mail address or something to a famous musician please send it to me. peters2000c@juno.com, it would be much apreciated. KEEP FIGHTING EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Josh Peters, Pennsylvania

#31 richardpopovich

richardpopovich
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: richardpopovich

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:55 PM

It would seem to me that anything involving media devices constitutes copyright infringement. If learning to play by sound and then sharing what you've learned is copyright infringement, then music would cease to exist completely. No one would be able to write any songs because they may contain the same gutar lick or chord progression as a previous one. Music is founded in listening to other artists work and the combining of different styles. If creating tabletures is outlawed, what's next? Playing an instrument altogether?

I think that a petition should be started on this web page.

Edited by richardpopovich, 17 July 2006 - 05:58 PM.

#32 el conquistador

el conquistador
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: el conquistador

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

this is unbelievable, people are unbelievable. in this day and age where you can sue anyone for absolutely anything and win, it doesnt suprise me that there are people who actually made an issue of this. this is an area where people actually learn something and want to learn something, and look at that, someone wants to take it away from us. screw you, go find something worth while, like a life. there are so many bigger issues in this world than guitar tabs(which isnt even an issue). this disgusts me.

#33 jtfrizzell

jtfrizzell
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: jtfrizzell

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:28 PM

Just like my bumper sticker says ' If You ignore you're rights they will go away '. Learning how to a guitar is a right of present and future musicians in the world. For those of us not fortunate enough to be born with the in-grained abilty to learn music by ear, we must lower ourselves to the use of tabs inoder to learn our favorite bands song so that we may play to our enjoyment. If we let the 'MAN' take this right away form us before long the 'MAN' will be telling us that turning on the radio and listening to the waves going through the air is illegal. Every human has the right to knowledge and that right no matter how hard the man tries can't be taken away. There a millions of other Guitar tab sites out there, what are they going to do shut down all of those sites.

Fellow guitar palyer unite and don't let the 'MAN' take this away form us.

#34 jet_powered_guitar

jet_powered_guitar
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: jet_powered_guitar

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

This is lunacy! I find this no different than doing a book report in school. Some literature is very open to interpretation, and subject to imitation. Should Stevie Ray Vaughan's estate be sued by the estates of Albert Lee or Jimi Hendrix, for copyright infringement for passing along the chord changes to "Little Wing" to Tommy Shannon? We're not tramping on copyrights here, we are continuing traditions. This is simply discussion and opinion for art's sake! Hear me now and believe me later, this is just the beginning. If this situation comes to a win for our side, the NMPA and the MPA will move on to their paid lobbyists, and have our forums MADE illegal.
What can I do to help fight?

#35 skyhigh02

skyhigh02
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: skyhigh02

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

This is completely bogus.

How is my own INTERPERTATION of a song copyrighted by someone else?

What if it's wrong?!?! Does the label still own it? Please.

I don't think so. Every a cappella group in the world is in trouble then.

#36 mpkohlmann

mpkohlmann
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: mpkohlmann

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

This is ridiculous! The music industry might be interested to know this: I started using this site only three months ago and I have already spent over $300 on Itunes, downloading the Kiss, Def Leppard and Judas Priest, etc. songs that I am playing using the tabs on this site. That's right! This site helps the music business. We buy the cds to play along with or so that we can hear the music as we learn it by tab. I guess you want us to write our own music as we learn to play? Hmm that would take about 20 years. Idiots!

#37 nightnday

nightnday

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE"&g

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,996 posts
  • Location:&lt;META NAME=&quot;ROBOTS&quot; CONTENT=&quot;NOARCHIVE&quot;&gt;
  • Original Name: nightnday

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Thats BS.

anyhow move GTU to the Bahamas. the NMPA/MPA can't touch us here. we have no music copyright protection agreement with NMPA/MPA or anyother copyright protection association ...yet. They are pushing for it but this is a pirate nation and we don't give a shi*t.

actually we have our own PRS which only handles Bahamian music.

Move GTU to the Bahamas! biggrin.gif

P.S. I can give you written permission to keep Beautiful Girl tabs on GTU. biggrin.gif

#38 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:05 PM

The MPA are going too far with this. I mean seriously some people copy tabs directly from books and they take claim in the responsibility of doing so but interpretations of a song that have higher chances of being innacurate is not copyright infringement. People seem to think this is about the artists, however its not. Its the publishing company wanting to get more money into their stinking pockets. Yet its sad that they expect people to buy songbooks when they are a rip off in price. I am sorry but I aint coughing up 30 dollars for a tab book with 8 songs like Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd or Tones by Eric Johnson. Maybe if they cut the cost of books, people would buy them, or provide individual transcriptions in major music retail chains. Why buy a book for one song is my question for them? Either they start putting out individual charts for certain artists or they cut the cost of books by at least 40%.

#39 blackened10

blackened10
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Original Name: blackened10

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (voodoogav @ Jul 17 2006, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Jiveturkey @ Jul 17 2006, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Slayerfan @ Jul 17 2006, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, what they are telling me is that my 5th grade band teacher was a criminal for photocopying music to hand out to his students instead of buying a new copy for every student? We are not stealing music here. Sites such as this are a great way to share tablature. I just never thought being a musician would label me as a law breaker. I wonder if anyone at these so called "associations" know that they are loosing credibility? Do they even care? Keep fighting! Oh, wait...we might get in trouble for copying what Napster did by defending our own actions....

Technically yes, photocopying anything that is in print and under copywrite is illegal. Of course he's not going to be pursued or prosecuted for something so trivial but if the publishers did so wish then they would have every legal right. The tablature available on this site is differnt however as it is each person own interpretations (or so is claimed) and I highly doubt anyone could prove that they were otherwise. Also you really couldn't compare this to Napster. Napster made a serious dent in the profits of the music industry, there's no way sights like this could inflict anywhere near so much fianancial damage.

I realise this makes me sound like I'm on the side of the MPA while I must stress that I am far from that.

The problem is that this is still illegal.

HOW???
as someone sadi before... they computer...the internet...the phone...etc. was made and used to express and idea and to share that idea and other frikin information...

the artists could give a s h it... if i wus in their position and my fans tryed to figure out something that wrote and made up... and they f###ed up... that would give me a sense of pride to no that i did something like that.

"AcousticSmash Posted Today, 10:05 PM
The MPA are going too far with this. I mean seriously some people copy tabs directly from books [size=7]and they take claim in the responsibility of doing so but interpretations of a song that have higher chances of being innacurate is not copyright infringement. People seem to think this is about the artists, however its not. Its the publishing company wanting to get more money into their stinking pockets. Yet its sad that they expect people to buy songbooks when they are a rip off in price. I am sorry but I aint coughing up 30 dollars for a tab book with 8 songs like Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd or Tones by Eric Johnson. Maybe if they cut the cost of books, people would buy them, or provide individual transcriptions in major music retail chains. Why buy a book for one song is my question for them? Either they start putting out individual charts for certain artists or they cut the cost of books by at least 40%. "

its the same thing as this site!!!

its bull s h it

like smash said... its all about money... this site has come under attack because of the good it has done??? No. it has come under attack because of the "money" it has(or lack there of) that they wunt... the more money the have... the more they "might" give to the "artists". That as never been know to happen... the money earned from the artists hard work goes from the "fans" to the managers and "music" organazations like the MPA. The point is... 1. its all about money. 2.its bull s h it. 3. Music is never goin to sound the same to everybodys ears... one person will think that one way is correst, when it might not b... and then one person will think the other way is correct, and it just might b.

this is bull s h it

...the cat went to rehab

#40 cliffemall

cliffemall
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: cliffemall

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:42 PM

i will punch all of those sick tab haters ill punch every last one of em right in the mouth

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...