Statement Regarding Legality of TabsWhat I have to say...

808 replies to this topic

#801 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (saxydan @ Mar 11 2008, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe you guys must get in contact with ASCAP, the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.

ADDRESS: ASCAP Building, One Lincoln Plaza, NEW YORK NY 10023, USA.
TELEPHONE: (212) 621 6311
FAX: (212) 721 0956
E-MAIL: INFO@ASCAP.COM

Can't side with anyone, due to the nature of my job, but I wish you guys all the best.

They must all be gangsters there, if they like putting caps in asses laugh.gif

UG isn't offshore btw, from what I have been told by people who know more then me, UG is operated by American's based out of Atlanta, dunno if that means there server(s) happen to be based in the USA or not is a mystery to me and one that I can't confirm but would it not be illegal to even be running what is considered to be an illegal tablature site? I hate UG the most though because I have gotten viruses from their ads and you can get spyware and stuff so easily it is rediculous.

#802 Kevin Dale

Kevin Dale
  • 7 posts
  • Original Name: Kevin Dale

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (rbalch @ Jul 17 2006, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
July 17, 2006

To all "Guitar Tab Universe" visitors:

The company which owns this website has been indirectly threatened (via our ISP) with legal action by the National Music Publishers' Association (NMPA) as well as the Music Publishers' Association (MPA) on the basis that sharing tablature constitutes copyright infringement. At what point does describing how one plays a song on guitar become an issue of copyright infringment? This website, among other things, helps users teach eachother how they play guitar parts for many different songs. This is the way music teachers have behaved since the first music was ever created. The difference here is that the information is shared by way of a new technology: the Internet.

When you are jamming with a friend and you show him/her the chords for a song you heard on the radio, is that copyright infringement? What about if you helped him/her remember the chord progression or riff by writing it down on, say, a napkin... infringement? If he/she calls you later that night on the phone or e-mails you and you respond via one of those methods, are you infringing? I don't know... but I would really like to know. If anyone has information on this, please email support@guitartabs.cc.

Apparently, the NMPA/MPA believes that the Internet may be on the foul side of the legality line they would like to draw here. For me, I see no difference. It's teachers educating students and covered as a 'fair use' of the tablature. The teachers here don't even get paid nor do the students have to pay this website to access the lessons.

An attack on this website is really an attack on every one of you who have told someone (in person, or via the written word, telephone, or e-mail) how you play a song on guitar. And who, especially among small websites, has the deep pockets to fight the NMPA/MPA? They use scare tactics while there is, in fact, no legal precedent on this matter (to the best of our knowledge). If you are interested in expressing your opinion to the NMPA/MPA, contact them via their respective websites. Please do not resort to vulgar language or insults.

Millions of people use the Internet to learn guitar, in one form or another. It appears the NMPA/MPA and their members do not want to support us and help us further our education. To you visitors from outside the USA or UK, can you find your favorite artists' "official sheet music" at your local music store? Even in the United States and United Kingdom, we often can not. The NMPA/MPA have a choice to make: either they support us as aspiring guitarists, or they choose to alienate their customer base. To date, not one sheet music publisher has contacted this website to either inquire as to our activities or to express interest in any type of dialogue or collaboration whatsoever. All we deserve is a cold, indirect, impersonal threat without any explanation? They should embrace new technologies or else become relics of the old economy.

Since I'm now 'worried' about working around tabs at all, I'm in a tough situation! Luckily, I'm fairly confident that if I alone listen to a song and then figure out how to play it by ear, I will then be able to enjoy using that knowledge to practice and improve my guitar playing skills. Is that what is necessary for everyone to do? Work these things out alone? What a sad situation. noani.gif

Sincerely,
Rob Balch

Manager of "Guitar Tab Universe"

If you would like to help out and join the effort to fight for our freedom to tab and share, please check out MuSATO.

#803 catherinecarter85

catherinecarter85
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: catherinecarter85

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:18 AM

Anybody got one yet? Aero is ugly. laugh.gif

pret auto

Edited by catherinecarter85, 01 June 2009 - 01:18 AM.

#804 truecolor

truecolor
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: truecolor

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:56 PM

simulation credit auto
laugh.gif It's not bad wink.gif

#805 tomassantos

tomassantos
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: tomassantos

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

Edited by tomassantos, 30 August 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#806 tomassantos

tomassantos
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:30 AM

Edited by tomassantos, 30 August 2010 - 10:32 AM.

#807 tomassantos

tomassantos
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

Edited by tomassantos, 30 August 2010 - 10:32 AM.

#808 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

This site was one of the biggest online tab archives for a long time Tomassantos. The fact that its help forum is a ghost town might tell you about how good of odds you have of running an online tablature site. Find something else, because even we sold our tab archive. We couldn't use it so ultimate-guitar has it. They're the only real resource left, which is a shame. Our community is better, though. Post in one of the more popular forums.

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#809 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Well the Guitartabs.cc portion of the site is operated by someone else now, too bad us tab reviewers can't review the tabs that get submitted to that site. I believe the admin of this site sold it off to someone outside the MPAA's jurisdiction (in another country) but kept the forum aspect his. Sadly we don't see much of our admin these days

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...