(hmm)

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Original Name: velvetrevolver220

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Sep 20 2006, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (evileye @ Sep 19 2006, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the last time ignore all the *BAD* advice. If you have any idea of what you're doing, Dell PC's are fine. Very reliable, and I've added plenty of hardware to mine.

But, if you're looking for something to use for gaming you probably would be best going for a self build, yes. I did some research last night and managed to price a 3ghz PC with intel, and an OK graphics card for ~350.

I'm only going by personal experience. Once I have a problem with a particular brand of item, I tend not to go back to it. I realise this should not always be the case, but, meh.

QUOTE (kurtlives @ Sep 19 2006, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nealmac @ Sep 18 2006, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not the best at giving advice on this subject, but I'd keep a hundred miles away from Dell.

what there sick
Can you re-jig this into a sentence? I have no idea what you just said.

I think he is saying that they are good.

#22 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (velvetrevolver220 @ Sep 20 2006, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nealmac @ Sep 20 2006, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (evileye @ Sep 19 2006, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the last time ignore all the *BAD* advice. If you have any idea of what you're doing, Dell PC's are fine. Very reliable, and I've added plenty of hardware to mine.

But, if you're looking for something to use for gaming you probably would be best going for a self build, yes. I did some research last night and managed to price a 3ghz PC with intel, and an OK graphics card for ~350.

I'm only going by personal experience. Once I have a problem with a particular brand of item, I tend not to go back to it. I realise this should not always be the case, but, meh.

QUOTE (kurtlives @ Sep 19 2006, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nealmac @ Sep 18 2006, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not the best at giving advice on this subject, but I'd keep a hundred miles away from Dell.

what there sick
Can you re-jig this into a sentence? I have no idea what you just said.

I think he is saying that they are good.

Well done mate. beer.gif

#23 noclss2000

noclss2000
  • 6 posts
  • Original Name: noclss2000

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:34 PM

If you know how, build it yourself. Get most of your parts from newegg.com, they are normally really cheap.
Dell is 'OK' if you are just after a cheap computer to get on the internet with and check e-mail. Their support absolutely sucks. I work with them on almost a bi-weekly basis ordering power supplies and fans and hard drives for their computers that are still under warranty. The XPS's are cool and all, but not worth the money, you can build the same for half, and eliminate the hassle of dealing with tech support that can't speak english, let alone understand it.

As far as what was posted on the previous page about nVidia or ATI, I highly recommend nVidia. Their driver support is 100x better than ATI's.

Edited by noclss2000, 21 September 2006 - 05:35 PM.

#24 myfinalheaven

myfinalheaven

The Infernal Bridegroom

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,487 posts
  • Original Name: myfinalheaven

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:32 AM

My brother recently bought a laptop from Dell and I hate the idea of the process. I don't want someone else setting up my system. I want to start from scratch and install the drivers, etc. myself so I know exactly what I have on the hard drive. Definitely a no to Dell. Yeah, it looks like I'll be building one. Should be fun.

nVidia eh? I was leaning that way anyway..
And say why it never worked on me.
Something to do with violence
A long way back, and wrong rewards,
And arrogant eternity.

#25 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 22 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

Nvidia is the way to go with graphics cards, they are miles ahead of ATI now with the Geforce 7950 which is basically two 7900 cards in one and a single one of those is more powerful than tha X1800 by ATI. You can actually run one of those 7950's in SLI mode ya know, of if you have two and the proper motherboard, you can run Quad SLI, which is apparantly mind blowing for graphics and you dont get hangups with them both, however they require a really good PSU to run without overheating and crashing, plus lots of fans or a coolant system installed. Building computers is not all that hard, so long as all your components line up so they can connect to the motherboard properly.

If you are going for a gaming style computer, get a RAID hard drive with 10,000 RPM, I suggest a Seagate of some sort, at least 100 GB's though. If not a RAID drive than something with at least 7200 RPM. The faster the better for load speeds. AMD would be the advised CPU really for gaming, the X2 processors are pretty damn good, hell the single core AMD's run better for gaming than most Intel's do.

#26 rapinChopin

rapinChopin
  • 10 posts
  • Original Name: rapinChopin

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

every think about making your own computer? it is very educational

#27 guitar_bar

guitar_bar

:huh:

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Original Name: guitar_bar

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

nice price range there, get one thats fast, nice gfx card, 2 gig of ram, the works. Invest in some speakers and a sound card if your into recording and listening. Also Acid 6 by sony is really nice for recording and mixing

#28 velvetrevolver220

velvetrevolver220

(hmm)

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Original Name: velvetrevolver220

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (rapinChopin @ Sep 22 2006, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
every think about making your own computer? it is very educational

Yeah, that's been mentioned. A lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...