- - - - -

4 ohm head into an 8 ohm cabno problem or big problem?

6 replies to this topic

#1 bag

bag
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,045 posts
  • Location:Texas, where it's legal to hit your kids as much as you want
  • Original Name: bag

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:21 PM

right now for my rig, I have my boss ds-1 for my distorition going into a 4 ohm crate gt1200 into some 8 ohm marshall cab. I haven't had a problem with it, I actually thought it sounded pretty good, until recently all the distorted sounds started to sounded... bad, like it sounded like it was being pushed too much though nothing had changed. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the ohmage of both things. I also wondered if maybe I just simply needed to replace the speakers inside. This had been slowly happening over a couple weeks. What should I do? (by the way, even at low volumes it sounds like this)

#2 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,104 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

How old is the equipment? I dont think the ohmage should be a big issue so long as the head isnt exceeding the limit.

#3 ameaturegoinpro

ameaturegoinpro
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Original Name: ameaturegoinpro

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

If i do recall, The lower the ohm rating the more powerfull the amp or speaker, so the amp
is over the cabs limit and probably is overdriving and making your problem. Correct me
if im wrong but i am pretty sure
Play 'till your fingers bleed then play some more

#4 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,138 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:20 AM

it seems the head is solidstate, ergo, it doesnt matter, its just 4ohm max on the heads output, but you can put it into anything else.

impedance really only plays a part when you have tube amps if i recall.

#5 tartar_basstartar

tartar_basstartar
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: tartar_basstartar

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:03 AM

Have you checked the battery in the DS-1?

Using an 8 ohm cabinet with an amp with a minimum 4 ohm load impedance is fine. Besides, the speaker jacks in those amps are in series so if you connect two 4 ohm cabinets, the amp will see 8 ohms anyway.

FWIW, there is no such thing as "ohmage"...the correct term is impedance (which is a combination of resitance and reactance...but we won't get into that).

The GT1200 is a great sounding head...regardless of what the gain devices are. Crate did a great job IMO.

#6 YOMTVSUCKS

YOMTVSUCKS
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: YOMTVSUCKS

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (tartar_basstartar @ Jan 18 2007, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you checked the battery in the DS-1?

Using an 8 ohm cabinet with an amp with a minimum 4 ohm load impedance is fine. Besides, the speaker jacks in those amps are in series so if you connect two 4 ohm cabinets, the amp will see 8 ohms anyway.

FWIW, there is no such thing as "ohmage"...the correct term is impedance (which is a combination of resitance and reactance...but we won't get into that).

The GT1200 is a great sounding head...regardless of what the gain devices are. Crate did a great job IMO.

No such thing as ohmage? Are you joking? http://dictionary.re...m/browse/ohmage

Dude, running two 4 ohm cabs creates a total load of 2 ohms on the amp. If the amp puts out XXwatts @ 4 ohms, that means you can safely run one 4 ohm cab, up to two 8 ohm cabs or four 16 ohm cabs. The lower the number of ohmage the more stress placed on the amp. Therefore the more cabs you pile on the lower the ohm rating on the amp and the higher stress.

Having said all of that, running an 8 ohm cab with an amp that can play down to 4 ohms, should be fine unless the amp power and cab rating isnt too out of whack.

The Crate site states that the GT1200 runs at 120 watts RMS. How much is your cab rated to handle?

Edited by YOMTVSUCKS, 18 January 2007 - 07:05 PM.

#7 DOGEESESEEGOD

DOGEESESEEGOD
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: DOGEESESEEGOD

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:21 PM

If it has gradually gotten worse, it's probably a battery, do you have any pedals or an active guitar?

Otherwise, you may have blown a speaker, hard to tell over the internet, but check all your batteries, cables, and connections first.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...