47 replies to this topic

#1 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

I have been informed that upgrading to Windows Vista from XP will delete the key for XP that came on your computer (assuming it is a pre manufactured brand from a mainstream dealer). Also when you get the upgrade, you dont get the OEM software disk, just the damn upgrade is installed on your machine, so if you have issues with compatibility with old software, you are boned and cant revert back to XP. This is what I have been informed by the teachers at my school, I do not know at the moment whether it is actually true or not. Just thought I would share this tidbit of information that I have acquired.

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:14 AM

Well I was thinking of getting a new PC with Vista on it. Would I have any trouble installing programs I already use? I bloody hope not.

#3 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:45 AM

Can somebody tell me why Vista demands 50 Gb for installation and uses 512 megs by default when running ? I will defy Vista as long as I can! mad.gif

#4 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (igorski @ Feb 8 2007, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can somebody tell me why Vista demands 50 Gb for installation and uses 512 megs by default when running ? I will defy Vista as long as I can! mad.gif

Last time I checked, Vista is 8 GB's in size or something like that, its almost double what XP is which is around 5 GB's or one single DVD. Vista Ultimate may require that amount of storage space but minimum for Home Premium is 20 GB's of HDD space (30 GB's reccommended). Also 1 GB of RAM is reccommended for Home Premium. The scary thing is that Ultimate can support up to 128 GB's of memory, yet no computer is beyond 8 GB's yet (thats Alienware style sort of thing) considering the standard is like 2 GB's right now. I guess if you are running a server, then Ultimate will work well in that department because it supports pretty much all the high end computer components.

#5 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:04 AM

vista ultimate requires 15GB of HDD space just for the OS and all it's little bits sad.gif

I'm probably just gonna stick to XP for a good long while to be honest. All the new "cool" features of XP you can get as little downloadable programs anyway.

search function - windows desktop search
Funky new look with the start menu and the transparent windows - shell replacement progs like themexp
Cool 3D scrolling - Only a matter of time before someone brings out a little prog that does that.
Gadgets - Well theyr'e just little programs that you can get anywhere.

#6 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

###### the way it looks and nifty 3D scrolling, I just want something that boots without problems and starts my programs.

As soon as all new versions of software that I require are Vista-exclusive I will change. Until then, ###### you! mad.gif

#7 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

I am on Linux now so I am satisfied, its giving me a challenge for command line stuff and I am learning a lot more about a more complex operating system. Windows may be ease of use but if you try to adapt to another OS, its a big learning curve.

#8 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (igorski @ Feb 9 2007, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
###### the way it looks and nifty 3D scrolling, I just want something that boots without problems and starts my programs.

As soon as all new versions of software that I require are Vista-exclusive I will change. Until then, ###### you! mad.gif

hehe good call.

To be honest I've not had many problems with XP - touch wood.

Sure you get stuff going a little bit wrong every now and again, and task manager needs a nudge. But in general my programs all run ok, everything starts ok and works pretty much fine, so yes ###### you vista lol - however i've just made my win xp look pretty like vista blush.gif

altho i've tempted fate now so my pc is bound to blow up or something .

#9 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:41 AM

My XP actually works too. SP1 and no updates, just third party firewall and anti-virus, it's faaaast. So why switch cool.gif

#10 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Original Name: thehundredthone

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:03 AM

Don't switch. It's not all crap but I would wait at least for a year until a service pack is released and there are enough guides telling you how best to strip Vista of all it's "functionality" and make it a functional OS again tongue.gif
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

New Original - Room For Two
Originals - Winter, Resonance, Hours, Thrashy-1
Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

#11 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

Windows Vista Ultimate Aero Interface: Needs 2 GB just to get a 3D Desktop?

Unnecessary... I think I'll pass, and stick to my current set up...

#12 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:00 AM

I was reading this article earlier today, apparently there is another Windows OS coming out in 2009 called Vienna which is supposed to be the real next generation OS. Way to fvck up even more Micro$oft, nice of yeh to release another OS after people have shelled out sh.t loads for a new one. Essentially Home Basic and Home Premium are bumped up versions of XP and thus I see no reason to purchase them. I have a legal copy of Vista Business that I will be using for an install at school in one of my classes.

#13 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Feb 12 2007, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was reading this article earlier today, apparently there is another Windows OS coming out in 2009 called Vienna which is supposed to be the real next generation OS. Way to fvck up even more Micro$oft, nice of yeh to release another OS after people have shelled out sh.t loads for a new one. Essentially Home Basic and Home Premium are bumped up versions of XP and thus I see no reason to purchase them. I have a legal copy of Vista Business that I will be using for an install at school in one of my classes.

Blackcomb was announced way back in 2000/01. It was supposed to come out after XP as a big new thing. As usual it got pushed to after Longhorn. And if I remember correctly, it will probably be called Windows 7. ph34r.gif

Unfortunately since DX10 is going to be big, most people will end up buying Vista for the gaming capabilities if nothing else.
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

#14 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:18 PM

Vista sucks for gaming unless you have a machine that you paid more than 2000 dollars for. If you are really going to use Vista for gaming, Ultimate is the only real way to go but unfortunately you need a big ass hard drive cause Ultimate in itself uses up around 16 GB's of hard drive space but its got all the features of every version except for Vista Business. Plus you need a minimum 2 GB's of memory to run the damn thing and probably on top of that to run some of the latest games without lag you would need an extra 2 GB's.

#15 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Feb 15 2007, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vista sucks for gaming unless you have a machine that you paid more than 2000 dollars for. If you are really going to use Vista for gaming, Ultimate is the only real way to go but unfortunately you need a big ass hard drive cause Ultimate in itself uses up around 16 GB's of hard drive space but its got all the features of every version except for Vista Business. Plus you need a minimum 2 GB's of memory to run the damn thing and probably on top of that to run some of the latest games without lag you would need an extra 2 GB's.

That's because DX10 isn't out yet. I'm talking about the upcoming DX10 games.
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

#16 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:44 AM

Wait, AS, when you say it "sucks" for gaming, do you mean the performance will be poor? Or is it more of a graphics thing? Generally speaking, I'm not too worried about graphics, as long as I can play without any annoying stoppages due to memory issues.

#17 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (thehundredthone @ Feb 15 2007, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Feb 15 2007, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because DX10 isn't out yet. I'm talking about the upcoming DX10 games.

Yet no game will support DirectX 10 for at least another 2 years, not to mention the price of DX10 video cards will set you back about 650-800 dollars depending on which vesion of Nvidia's GeForce 8800 that you get, the GS costs 650 here and the GTX is like 750 even though they are similar cards.

And yes neal, it does suck performance wise. You need a minimum 64MB video card just to run Vista, so your performance gets killed when you play games unless you have a good video card with its own 256 MB's of memory at least. I have attempted to run games on Vista, it sucks unless you have a speed machine with high end graphics, lots of memory and a fast CPU that is dual core. It runs horribly on single core CPU's, seeing as how I have loaded it onto a P4 2.5 Ghz machine and that was for the Business version which requires a minimum 512 MB's of RAM which what I was using. No word of a lie, it took almost 5 minutes to load to the desktop on that machine.

#18 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:29 AM

Feck

#19 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:34 AM

i'm sticking with XP for a while methinks.

Isn't the basic version speedy?????? Surely it must be a little faster with not as much crap to load

#20 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

Vista Home Basic essentially is XP just with a fancier layout, or in other words it doesnt warrant the 30 dollar price difference between it and XP Pro when you purchase it. The sad fact is that all pre-built desktops and laptops come with Vista now, so there is no way to avoid it unless you want to prebuild one yourself which isnt too hard and you get the components you want for a decent price. Albeit sometimes custom building yourself can cost you a bit more then a generic run of the mill desktop, but if you get the right components, you will get a good system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...