• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Original Name: thehundredthone

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

Like I said, wait a while till the patches are incorporated and the guides come out.

I doubt you'll want be sitting with XP and a GeForce 7800 if you want to play the games coming out in the next year.
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

New Original - Room For Two
Originals - Winter, Resonance, Hours, Thrashy-1
Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

#22 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:19 AM

I am considering building a custom PC this summer to play games on. Dual hard drives of 150 (highspeed for system) and 320 GB's (for storage), Nvidia GeForce 8800 GS 640 MB video card, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4 Ghz dual core, 2048 MB's of dual channel RAM, Lite-On Blu Ray disc drive (possibly), DVD+-RW drive, HD monitor and a liquid cooling system. Plus all the other odds and ends like a sound card and a wireless LAN card.

#23 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,765 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: pbaxter2001

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

We are Microsoft. You will join the collective. Resistance is futile.

#24 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

Windows XP uses up 30% of your RAM, whereas Vista Ultimate uses 50%, however I have heard regardless of that, game speeds are not hindered by the amount of memory being used, mainly because Ultimate apparently shuts down all the background processes that are not necessary to run the system, while maintaining user appointed files like anti virus to keep running.

#25 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:52 AM

YOU ARE SERIOUSLY ALL NUTS!
Vista is the best thing that ever happened to computing. XP sucked beyond all reason. Back at the start of 2005, XP was the norm OS. I chose to get Windows 2000 on my PC (P4) because I didn't like the way XP worked. It (XP) took twice as long to add a printer, set up a network connection, share a drive, you name it, and it was a pain in the a$$ to do anything (I had to eventually upgrade because of hardware and software issues of new stuff I had)
As soon as Vista came out, I was in the nearest store that sold it. (I got home premium) It works fine on a P4 with a lower-midrange card (GeForce 7600GS AGP). It dosen't treat me like some dumbass like XP did. Things get done twice as fast and now I can use my computer for what I really need to do instead of screwing around with broken network connections and spending all day fixing some crappy problem. I didn't want to install XP, and when I installed it, it behaved as I expected (for example, changing/deleting a user account leaves all this crap behind such as all these folders for the non-existant user, and the old user name becoming the defult name everytime I want to login)
One thing to do before you get Vista is to download the Vista Upgrade Advisor program.
Also, you cant upgrade to any of the Home editions if you have XP pro, you have to do a clean install (I gave me a chance to get rid of the unneccessary files and distracting programs I didn't need).
Every thing works so much smoother. I am now doing work for myself, not my computer!
I am happy to argue with anyone who disagrees with me.
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#26 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:38 AM

^ Glad you like it smile.gif
I'd still rather wait for a while (partly because I don't have decent hardware tongue.gif )

@AcousticSmash: I'd suggest a RAID configuration for your hard disks. Buy 2x75GB and 2x150Gb hard disks.
The 2x75GB in a RAID array means that bits are written parallel-ly to each disk increasing speed, similarly with the 2x150GB disks. This is what a lot of high speed servers use.

RAID 0 = striping -> bits written alternately and simultaneously to each disk for increased read/write speed
RAID 1 = mirroring -> bits written to both hard disk (1 acts like a backup) for safety
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

#27 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (builtmyownbass @ Feb 21 2007, 04:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YOU ARE SERIOUSLY ALL NUTS!
Vista is the best thing that ever happened to computing. XP sucked beyond all reason. Back at the start of 2005, XP was the norm OS. I chose to get Windows 2000 on my PC (P4) because I didn't like the way XP worked. It (XP) took twice as long to add a printer, set up a network connection, share a drive, you name it, and it was a pain in the a$$ to do anything (I had to eventually upgrade because of hardware and software issues of new stuff I had)
As soon as Vista came out, I was in the nearest store that sold it. (I got home premium) It works fine on a P4 with a lower-midrange card (GeForce 7600GS AGP). It dosen't treat me like some dumbass like XP did. Things get done twice as fast and now I can use my computer for what I really need to do instead of screwing around with broken network connections and spending all day fixing some crappy problem. I didn't want to install XP, and when I installed it, it behaved as I expected (for example, changing/deleting a user account leaves all this crap behind such as all these folders for the non-existant user, and the old user name becoming the defult name everytime I want to login)
One thing to do before you get Vista is to download the Vista Upgrade Advisor program.
Also, you cant upgrade to any of the Home editions if you have XP pro, you have to do a clean install (I gave me a chance to get rid of the unneccessary files and distracting programs I didn't need).
Every thing works so much smoother. I am now doing work for myself, not my computer!
I am happy to argue with anyone who disagrees with me.

Yea right, thats why the 3D Aero desktop feature takes up an extra 50 MB's of your computer's RAM. XP is not a pain in the ass, I have been using it for like 5 years and not once have I had any serious problems aside from the issues with the Service Pack 2 release. Vista sucks balls unless you have a powerhouse machine, and its only going to get worse as the updates come out. Not to mention Vista requires a minimum 8 GB's of free hard drive space, XP Pro is less then 4.7 GB's, Vista Ultimate is 15 GB's in size, so yea you are going to need a big ass hard drive to run the damn OS. Plus compatiblity is pure crap and Direct X10 is garbage at the moment, there is no proper driver or software support for it that is good. Besides, what kind of dumbass would actually shell out 500 dollars for Ultimate or 150 for Home Basic which is just a newer version of XP (requires same specs and everything)? And actually it only takes me about a minute to install a printer driver and the software for it, and setting up my computer to connect to a wireless network or building my own home network takes less then 5 minutes to set up a network with WEP keys and all on XP, you are just full of sh.t.

You must be a serious dumbass for using Windows 2000, what a pile of sh.t that OS was no one has used it for like 3 years anyway, actually, no one uses it period. XP is the easiest to use and the best for hardware, it doesnt have all the extra sh.t that Vista has.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 21 February 2007 - 03:27 PM.

#28 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

^^ My, my, so opinated. doh.gif

Windows 2000 was pretty good as compared to everything before it (ME anyone? ohmy.gif )
It's no wonder a lot of corporations had actually upgraded from NT. Almost all schools in the UK had 2000 on their systems.

XP was built partly on the success of 2000. No doubt it's quite a robust OS. I use it full time and have never had a BSOD till date. I won't deny that Vista is a memory hog.

But the general public only cares about their system being able to let them check mail, browse the internet, play a few games. They don't care if the system is using half their RAM. They won't even notice the slowdown unless the paging file is in use. Most of them buy new systems with the OS preloaded rather than upgrade individual hardware (& software).

I don't see how it matters if the system is using half your computer's RAM. Unless you're running memory intensive programs which require more than half the RAM (and Vista doesn't relinquish it), what do you need that half for? New system's are sold with >80GB HDDs and 1-2GB RAM by default. 64bit systems can access exponentially more memory. So even if the system uses 1/2 RAM in every case regardless (which I doubt it does), you still have plenty for day to day work. That's the only time you actually (want to) notice the eye-candy anyway. If you're using memory intensive programs, they're probably taking up your attention as well so you might as well switch off all the eye-candy. If you're planning to run memory intensive programs in the background, you should think of buying more RAM.

A majority of people want a relatively inexpensive PC, and they want their system to work out of the box. If Vista does this for them then they are going to turn a deaf ear to your argument about RAM and HD space.

Just because something is simple for you doesn't meant it's easy for someone else to do. What would you do if you said Vista is too expensive for anyone to afford and Bill Gates comes up to you and says:
And actually it only takes me about a minute to earn $500,000; and setting my house to the right temperature, music to suit my mood and coffee the way I like it takes less than 5 minutes, and all before I step through the front door, you are just full of sh.t
blow.gif
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

#29 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:52 PM

You can't expect Vista to run on an old PC - don't says its crappy just because your computer is crappy. I still have a Pentium 2 and am running Win2k on it - it browses the web, access e-mail, runs Word. I won't bother with Vista and that - I have Vista on my PC which I built over 2 years ago. My desktop loads in less than 10 seconds. The file structure is so easy to understand - everyday tasks are so easy to do. No more screwing around with non-responsive programs or installing so much unneccessary crap with XP. The only noticable advantage XP has over 2000 is that it supports HT technology. The Disadvantages include the procedure you use to set things up - not everbody is a first time computer user. Both computer beginners and experts will find Vista easier to use. (my network was set up and usable the first time I logged into my PC) Windows automatically searches the internet for appropriate drivers and installs them automatically, and if not - tells you when it does.
If no-one likes eye-candy in a GUI, then why don't you go back to DOS.
1024MB of RAM is enough - Visxta uses about the same as XP or 2K does.
I'm not saying you have to abandon XP and go to Vista, I'm just imforming you of what you're missing out on tongue.gif

BTW: talk about people throwing tantrums!

Edited by builtmyownbass, 22 February 2007 - 08:53 PM.

Soundclick me.

#30 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:58 PM

Running a computer on minimum specs is such a bad idea its not even funny. My laptop is Vista Home Basic capable, but why should I go and spend the money to buy another OS that requires the same specs and is pretty much a mirror image of XP. Besides I am quite satisfied with XP Pro, it wont kill my computers battery life either, XP Pro is hard enough on this machine, considering Home got 3.5 hours roughly whereas Pro gets between 2.5 and 3 on a single battery charge. I really wont switch to Vista until batteries in laptops improve and there is actually good software support unless I want to just play games, at which point I will consider getting Ultimate (might as well go for the big kahuna) once I can build my own custom PC and there is proper software and driver support for DirectX 10 and once they stop charging us 500 dollars for the damn OS as well.

#31 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

I was considering to put Vista on my Notebook (which I got around 2003!), but like you mentioned I'm not sure about battery life. The processor is a Celeron M, so it dosen't have speedstep (unless vista is able to underclock it with some clocking software working with the bios - can it do that?)
Soundclick me.

#32 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

Dunno. I got my computer in May of last year and it says Vista capable on it, however the odds are it wont perform well, even with 1 GB of RAM. Odds are a Celeron M couldnt handle it, most of those Intel CPU's couldnt handle it unless its a P4 or Core Duo or higher.

#33 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:31 AM

If it's on the HCL list, chances are it will work at least semi-decently.

I used to run XP on a P2 266Mhz w/ 64MB RAM and a 4GB HDD. It worked fine for everything. Note that I wasn't running PS or any such because it was a 15" monitor tongue.gif
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

#34 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

I think I heard somewhere that if you install it on a not-so-good PC, it scales itself down to suit the hardware...
Soundclick me.

#35 James_Coolidge

James_Coolidge

Faithfucked Believer

• GZ Regular
  • 26,502 posts
  • Original Name: James_Coolidge

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:35 AM

All I can say is that if you buy a brand new amazing computer, with only 512 Ram and you're out of money from spending so much on the new computer and you wanna play games, then you're boned. This just happened to me. (I went back to XP.)

9fPfK.jpg

I can't think of anything to say,
Except, I think it's marvelous...

http://reesehoegashimself.bandcamp.com

#36 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:40 AM

Of course you are going to need more than 512MB of RAM even for XP. It depends on what you're running. You shouldn't have gone back to XP just because of RAM. Its like going back to your old car because your new one dosen't have a cup holder!
Soundclick me.

#37 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:11 AM

No, because running Vista on 512MB is close to putting an SUV engine in a Mini Cooper.

Is there something Vista is offering that XP cannot do right now? Not really.
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

#38 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:12 AM

from the average users point of view......

Vista is just a prettier version of XP.

#39 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Continually
  • Original Name: rbalch

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:54 AM

I have Vista on my notebook for work. I got the opportunity to get a license for Vista Ultimate Upgrade.

Yes, it takes a ton of drive space. My 2-3 yr old laptop barley reaches it's minimum "Performance Index" to run the Aero UI. It is pretty nice to see the 3d tilt view with the windows+tab keys. Also, it comes with lots of widgets (which, as mentioned before, can be found elsewhere). BUT, it looks as though they have at least tried to think about security here... lots of confirmation prompts, even from my admin account- just whenever a program tries anything it worries about.

Bottom line, I was lucky my computer can handle it. Single 2.13GHz Intel (Yeah, I know AMD is better), 2 GB RAM, 120GB SATA HD. Too lazy to check the graphics card now, it's got 128MB built in, if not 256MB.

Bad news: tons of the hardware I have (webcams, tightly integrated notebook hw, some wireless network things) as well as even more software (from general to specialty) is incompatible. So i'd say wait for a while, till a service pack or two seems like the convential wisdom.

Tis all,
Rob
"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

#40 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 27 February 2007 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (builtmyownbass @ Feb 27 2007, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course you are going to need more than 512MB of RAM even for XP. It depends on what you're running. You shouldn't have gone back to XP just because of RAM. Its like going back to your old car because your new one dosen't have a cup holder!

Don't be silly. XP will run quite well on 256MB of RAM, as my PC at home does. I'd prefer a bit more myself, but it's not essential.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...