SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Feb 27 2007, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (builtmyownbass @ Feb 27 2007, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course you are going to need more than 512MB of RAM even for XP. It depends on what you're running. You shouldn't have gone back to XP just because of RAM. Its like going back to your old car because your new one dosen't have a cup holder!

Don't be silly. XP will run quite well on 256MB of RAM, as my PC at home does. I'd prefer a bit more myself, but it's not essential.

laugh.gif I highly doubt that. Depends on your CPU as well. Dont expect to run XP on 256MB's of RAM with anti virus on sheesh, my dad's desktop can hardly run XP Media Center without lagging and its got 512 MB's on a P4 2.8 Ghz CPU and we only have AVG running as well and it still runs slowly. XP needs at least 1 GB to run efficiently with Service Pack 2, otherwise your computer is just going to bog down. XP Pro seems to run fairly well on my laptop with little hang-up's and its only got a 1.8 Ghz AMD Turion mobile CPU and 1 GB of RAM. Although my laptop RAM has better memory bandwidth then my dad's desktop does I believe, mines like 500mhz whereas his is 333mhz, and memory bandwidth is also important in running your OS well.

#42 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,765 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: pbaxter2001

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

I have run into my first incompatibility problem. Vista crashes a CRM system called Sales Logix. This is going to be a fun one for me to solve.

#43 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Original Name: thehundredthone

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Feb 28 2007, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif I highly doubt that. Depends on your CPU as well. Dont expect to run XP on 256MB's of RAM with anti virus on sheesh, my dad's desktop can hardly run XP Media Center without lagging and its got 512 MB's on a P4 2.8 Ghz CPU and we only have AVG running as well and it still runs slowly. XP needs at least 1 GB to run efficiently with Service Pack 2, otherwise your computer is just going to bog down. XP Pro seems to run fairly well on my laptop with little hang-up's and its only got a 1.8 Ghz AMD Turion mobile CPU and 1 GB of RAM. Although my laptop RAM has better memory bandwidth then my dad's desktop does I believe, mines like 500mhz whereas his is 333mhz, and memory bandwidth is also important in running your OS well.

Well I ran it on a 64MB 266Mhz system, with 4Gb disk space. It depends on whether you tweak it to your requirements. Media Centre is more of a hog though because of the interface.
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

New Original - Room For Two
Originals - Winter, Resonance, Hours, Thrashy-1
Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

#44 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,503 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Feb 28 2007, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (nealmac @ Feb 27 2007, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (builtmyownbass @ Feb 27 2007, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course you are going to need more than 512MB of RAM even for XP. It depends on what you're running. You shouldn't have gone back to XP just because of RAM. Its like going back to your old car because your new one dosen't have a cup holder!

Don't be silly. XP will run quite well on 256MB of RAM, as my PC at home does. I'd prefer a bit more myself, but it's not essential.

Why would I lie about it? I'm not a computer person as such, meaning I don't know a whole pile about the workings of a PC, but when I say I'm running XP on 256MB of RAM I'm being honest. Do want a screenshot?

#45 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:20 AM

win xp will run fine with 256MB of ram, even 128MB.

#46 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,503 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:48 AM

Thank you Tom.

#47 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Original Name: the cash

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

I've used XP on an old 800 mhz, 128 mb ram pc before. When disabling all the visual effects and unnecessary processes (which I do on my 2.8 ghz machine aswell, I might add) it runs just fine.

Soundclick! -- It's back!

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#48 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Original Name: thehundredthone

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

Microsoft official requirements are a CPU with 233 MHz an 64 MB of RAM. That's what I ran it on.

http://www.winhistor.../xpmini_eng.htm

The above link will show you how low they've managed to go smile.gif
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

New Original - Room For Two
Originals - Winter, Resonance, Hours, Thrashy-1
Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...