19 replies to this topic

#1 idle_liquid

idle_liquid
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Original Name: idle_liquid

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:17 AM

I have had this program on my pc for ages and just sort of forgot about it.
I have no idea how to use it. I do alot of my own recording with wave files for seperate audio tracks and midi files for drums n bass.
does anyone have any advice on how to use this program to layer my wave and midi files to make an mp3?
And how do I add effects to my midi files cuz they sound like crap?

Maybe someone has some tutorials?

much thanks!

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:38 AM

You can't export any MIDI clips to an Audio file unfortunatly. But what you can do is play the clips you want to use, and record them by placing a mic next to your PC speakers. Not great, but it works for me.

#3 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,533 posts
  • Original Name: badasstommyboy

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:28 AM

you can get a midi to mp3 converter, then just open the program and import whatever files you want, record new ones - the world's your something or other

#4 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:01 AM

Yes there's always that too.

#5 idle_liquid

idle_liquid
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:21 AM

but my problem is the midi files sound like crap. The effects that are on them when i write them on my palm studio are not carried over when i upload them onto my computer. I need to know how can i put effects back onthe bass and drum tracks, and layer it with wave files to make an mp3....there has got to be away.

#6 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:52 AM

The problem with MIDI files is that they sound crap anyway. Do you use a mixer? Try adjusting the equaliser or adding a bit of reverb if you have any. The equaliser on adobe audition isn't great.

#7 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:21 AM

You can add the effects onto the midi files in adobe audition. If you click on the FX button on each track you can add reverb, chorus or whatever you want onto it.

#8 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (badasstommyboy @ Feb 12 2007, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can add the effects onto the midi files in adobe audition. If you click on the FX button on each track you can add reverb, chorus or whatever you want onto it.

Can you? never knew about that. Although I'm fairly new to Audition. whereabouts is it? I don't have on this PC as I'm in work but I can try it tonight.

#9 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

aye on each track, there's the R S M buttons, if you expand the vertical axis out, you get the Pan and volume settings, then "LOCK" and "FX" click on FX and it brings up a big list of effects you can use. It also supports VST plugins as well so you can do cool stuff like get lovely add on effects, and even run fruity loops as a slave application.

Tis cool.

then you can lock the effects once you're done for better performance during playback

#10 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:00 AM

Cool I'll check that tonight.

#11 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:08 AM

Just checked that out Tommy. Once you have a track full of MIDI clips, the FX button disappears.

#12 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Feb 22 2007, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just checked that out Tommy. Once you have a track full of MIDI clips, the FX button disappears.

does it??

you sure it's not just hiding itself, when the tracks get smaller vertically?

#13 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:35 AM

Nope it's definitly gone. Not to worry though, I'll just look for a free MIDI to MP3/WAV converter and use that. If there is such a thing as a free one.

#14 badasstommyboy

badasstommyboy

Badass

• GZ Regular
  • 19,533 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Feb 22 2007, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope it's definitly gone. Not to worry though, I'll just look for a free MIDI to MP3/WAV converter and use that. If there is such a thing as a free one.

there's always a "free" one wink.gif

#15 mrbung1e

mrbung1e

白人看不懂

• 14,835 posts
  • Original Name: mrbung1e

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Feb 12 2007, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with MIDI files is that they sound crap anyway.

I think there is false perception from people here of what MIDI is. Saying that "midi files" sound crap doesn't really make sense as midi is a communications protocol. It is used for sending musical information, the midi data contains no sounds of its own! What is then done with these signals is a different matter. I imagine those claiming they sound crap are simply playing them through the synthesizer of their soundcard. These are always shit.

I however would send my midi data to some clever Native Instruments product like Absynth, Battery or Kontakt. These programs respond to the midi data with their own sounds, possible by making use of large sample banks. For example a drum kit I use with Battery contains 16 real wav samples for each 'hit', all at different velocity levels. So when I press a key gently it plays a different sample to when I play it hard, this produces a more realistic sound as a drum makes vastly different sounds depending on how hard you hit it.

In summary: MIDI - don't shoot the messenger!

#16 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (mrbung1e @ Feb 23 2007, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there is false perception from people here of what MIDI is. Saying that "midi files" sound crap doesn't really make sense as midi is a communications protocol. It is used for sending musical information, the midi data contains no sounds of its own! What is then done with these signals is a different matter. I imagine those claiming they sound crap are simply playing them through the synthesizer of their soundcard. These are always shit.

I however would send my midi data to some clever Native Instruments product like Absynth, Battery or Kontakt. These programs respond to the midi data with their own sounds, possible by making use of large sample banks. For example a drum kit I use with Battery contains 16 real wav samples for each 'hit', all at different velocity levels. So when I press a key gently it plays a different sample to when I play it hard, this produces a more realistic sound as a drum makes vastly different sounds depending on how hard you hit it.

Yep, give this man a honourary knighthood. sleep.gif

#17 idle_liquid

idle_liquid
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (igorski @ Feb 23 2007, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, give this man a honourary knighthood. sleep.gif

can you recomend a program to spice up my midi files with? they are bass and drum lines on one file. And how can i layer them with wave files to make one final track?

#18 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (mrbung1e @ Feb 23 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I imagine those claiming they sound crap are simply playing them through the synthesizer of their soundcard. These are always shit.

Yup, that's basically what I'm doing, as I'm not advanced in any type of recording software, or maybe it's just the fact I haven't played around with it enough.

#19 the cash

the cash

What?

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Original Name: the cash

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:18 AM

OMG! Someone said it!

MIDI is one of the best things ever invented! I mean you can do anything with it: automation, send musical information... Hell, you could even program stage lights with MIDI!

Soundclick! -- It's back!

"I've always wanted to smash a guitar over someone's head. You just can't do that with a piano!"

#20 richey

richey
  • 34,159 posts
  • Original Name: richey

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

Topic moved.
My anger is a form of madness
And so I'd rather have hope than sadness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...