New LogoNo offense but where was the community on this one?

54 replies to this topic

#1 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Continually
  • Original Name: rbalch

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:33 AM

Hey everyone,

It has been a while that the (fairly well known) request for volunteers to create a new logo has gone unanswered (except for MMH's work, which is good but needed to be re-made to fit in less space - vertically. Props to MMH regardless)

Hmm: Volunteers?, Website and graphics design
Or: No Logo

I know nobody here has any obligation to help out.

On one hand - the mods do an exceptional job, and dorio even more so with him reviewing albums, making lessons, etc.
On that same hand - All the collective wisdom and teaching here (even if just some quick Q&A) is great, so thank you to all the contributors.

But, on the other hand, I'm just one guy (humble too, I know my graphics design skills as well as talent in some other fields seriously blow)
So, when no one volunteers (though they would get full credit, as history proves, not to mention much appreciation from everyone I think, including myself), I end up taking things into my own hands and I can't believe you guys are happy with that option happyno.gif (plus I'm sure a bunch of you are way better at graphics than me, you know who you all are - HA!) And if I'm doing stuff like making a crappy logo ('crappy' cause of my skillz, not because of it's significance, which is pretty LARGE) then it's time that is NOT put in toward bringing you new features and a better, more fun educational experience here.

Also, I would like to hear any feedback on the new logo... I can easily change it all or bits of it... So please reply here with suggestions, comments.

Cheers, blink.gif
Rob

Hmm, also I'm quite aware that here, the WH&F forum, is one of the most boring and least visited areas here (probably a good thing by itself, meaning this website is working well). But I'll actually refrain from posting some promo type links to this post in other areas round here... I wonder how long it'll take for people to notice? ...Hmm, don't worry, there's no emotional breakdown here, just kind of a test for how much you guys and gals are giving a s!@#. Now that I mention it, I was thinking about shaving my head last weekend... Oh n/m that's a bad joke. I know we all at GZ/GTU wish Britney a less stressful future and that things work out best for her and her kids. Seriously, one of my mom's friend's daughters went to see her in concert way back, said she was great.

Well, I digressed. One interesting aspect of my personality is that I have not figured out whether a reading of more or less community interest motivates me better. Ya see... when no one cares, it inspires me to make someone that makes impacts (AKA world a better place, blah blah). Yet when lots of people care, I gotta feel that I can't let em down, and I stay excited to release new services and features to the people. I guess the bottom line is everybody's stuck with me. I like both options. So... i'll be here helping out for quite a long time.

And if there's any person who understands more than myself the value of guitar websites to drive interest in guitar and music in general, as well as playing music (as musicians), and enjoying music, (...and ultimately that 'companies end up making more money' etc. since they have more customers! Oh, whoops, I write that like it's common sense, or actually "conventional wisdom", since honcho companies like fancy terms like that. Yet the MPA still hasn't figured this all out, AFAIK), then I would like to meet him or her.

Wow, above is just a massive and typical rbalch run-on sentence. If you follow it from the start ("And if there's...") then you'll see I'd like to meet the person who thinks this cause is even more important than I do (wherever such a person may hail from). The other interpretation is that I would like to meet the MPA. The tough thing about that is that they've had my personal contact info for over 6 months now (no joke! I talk to them, while it seems other webmasters have run for the proverbial hills, can't blame em though. But am I wrong to care so much?) and I've repeately asked just to talk to them - nothing binding for them. Hmm, the ball's in their court, IMHO. I don't know what else I can do (?). Anyway, after recovering from all these derailings of my train of thought, I'll finish this point. The point was actually that I've read >10k forum replies and e-mails so far coming from good-hearted people from all over who just want to be able to freely and fairly educate eachother and spread this art and their love for it (the beautiful art of music).

(BTW, a perk of making the graphic myself is that the guitar on the background is my lovely Guild D-55 drink.gif - so it's not all bad of a task for me. As for the '2.0', that's cause there's all this buzz about 'Web 2.0'. So, yeah, I'm just posing, trying to keep with the times)
"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

Well it's a million times better than anything I could ever do. My photoshop skills include opening a photo, closing a photo and..............well.............that's it really.

#3 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Original Name: guru of rock n roll

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

It's better than crappy one before . cheers Rob. Hope it goes good for this site in the future.
Posted Image

#4 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

Holy Shnikeys (sp?)!! You people do care! What's that warm snugly feeling in my chest?

Anyway, thanks. Pretty good response time.

Cheers, cheers.gif
Rob
"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

#5 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts
  • Original Name: springwaffle

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

A logo is a logo.

What's the deal with the tabs? Ultimate-Guitar still has tabs but we don't?

#6 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (springwaffle @ Feb 27 2007, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A logo is a logo.

What's the deal with the tabs? Ultimate-Guitar still has tabs but we don't?

They have bigger issues in in Russia than to deal with tabs on a internet site.
Posted Image

#7 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:23 AM

are you saying you can't get tabs from here? hmm, did you try searching, etc?

also, that 'volunteers?' topic isn't just about just making logos. hmm, still havn't read it?

also, RBTFL (if you read it at all?) where I start off "And if I'm doing..."

#8 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (rbalch @ Feb 27 2007, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you saying you can't get tabs from here? hmm, did you try searching, etc?

also, that volunteers? topic isn't just about just making logos. hmm, still havn't read it?

Rob(God) said it was so.
Posted Image

#9 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

I can't get at the tabs I submitted and when I search for a tab and click on it I get this message:

"GTU is currently undergoing a re-design in an effort to resolve a dispute with the MPA. (Read More)
The MPA claims that all 'unlicensed' tablature is ILLEGAL and has threatened GTU and its ISP for hosting such 'unlicensed' tablature.
Since the tabbers/teachers here likely do not seek any 'license to tab' (yes, the MPA is serious tongue.gif) for how he or she plays a song,
many of the tabs here are 'unlicensed' and allegedly ILLEGAL."

#10 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

I like the new logo.

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#11 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (springwaffle @ Feb 27 2007, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't get at the tabs I submitted and when I search for a tab and click on it I get this message:

"GTU is currently undergoing a re-design in an effort to resolve a dispute with the MPA. (Read More)
The MPA claims that all 'unlicensed' tablature is ILLEGAL and has threatened GTU and its ISP for hosting such 'unlicensed' tablature.
Since the tabbers/teachers here likely do not seek any 'license to tab' (yes, the MPA is serious tongue.gif) for how he or she plays a song,
many of the tabs here are 'unlicensed' and allegedly ILLEGAL."

Did you try any of the links on such pages? If not, then please do

#12 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

But where are my tabs? I submitted like a hundred and I want them back.

#13 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

If something was not approved, it's not available.

Also, please refer to the 3rd line of my 3rd post in this thread.

#14 AxSlinger

AxSlinger

to be honest.....

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts
  • Original Name: AxSlinger

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:09 AM

Well, no offense, but i don't really care much for the new logo. here is what I came up in like 10 minutes before i have to go to work.

the url is: http://fc01.devianta...ap_by_dflem.gif

Anyway, I completely forgot about the volunteer thing, i know i did volunteer myself. I will try to come up with a few concepts for you to decide upon.

Rob, if you would like, try this one and see the response of the community, but this is not really final, unless people actually like it, but i do think it's better than the one now, (no offense to whoever made it).

What do you all think?

#15 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (AxSlinger @ Feb 27 2007, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, no offense, but i don't really care much for the new logo. here is what I came up in like 10 minutes before i have to go to work.

the url is: http://fc01.devianta...ap_by_dflem.gif

Anyway, I completely forgot about the volunteer thing, i know i did volunteer myself. I will try to come up with a few concepts for you to decide upon.

Rob, if you would like, try this one and see the response of the community, but this is not really final, unless people actually like it, but i do think it's better than the one now, (no offense to whoever made it).

What do you all think?

I like it, but some people follow the old gtu logo like a cult. Also, I made the current logo, BTW, but I'm open to criticism, this thing might as well be the best it can be cause it's on the top left of every dang page.

(Note: This logo doesn't have my guitar in it tho)

AxSlinger, I knew you graphics guys were around here! Just needed your 10 minutes I guess. If you could make a mini old style gtu logo where gtu is placed on your logo i'd go for it.

But it up to the high committee of GTUers now...

#16 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

looks good.

#17 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

Yo, I hope no one's holding out on opinions cause "Rob" made one. happyno.gif

I WANT THE BEST ONE TO BE PICKED.

Anyone else, it's far from too late to submit your entry forms, so to speak

I'm sure glad I did make one and this post though, cause looks what's happened. We're on a roll! Yeee-haawww! guitar.gif

#18 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

I've just set it up so people can see AxSlinger's logo in action. It's the logo running on the gear classifieds forum so people can see how it looks.

Check it out here

Let me know what you think...

#19 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:00 PM

Looks good but whats with the 2.0?
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#20 pbaxter2001

pbaxter2001
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,765 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: pbaxter2001

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

I think the new logo is too busy.. Sorry but it is an honest answer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...