12 replies to this topic

#1 Around

Around
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts
  • Original Name: Around

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

To help you out, it's a 75 watt solid state amplifier, with 2 channels. The clean channel features a reverb selector. The lead channel features 2 different types of gain, as well as a contour selector, but I don't understand what this last one does. 1 input jack, a master volume control and your standard bass-middle-treble controls. Checked it out today, it didn't sound bad at all, and if I were to buy it I'd get it at 360 euros or less.

Fire away.

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Better call Saul

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,003 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:04 AM

I have a contour dial on my marshall. It basically just adds a bit of "colour" for want of a better word, to your tone. It's hard to explain it through words alone, but if you try adjusting it you should be able to hear it.

93687336092664069705317.jpg

#3 Around

Around
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

That was the only thing I didn't adjust... But I will visit the store again, this time with my own guitar. I asked to test it with a guitar bearing a pair of humbuckers, but it's not the same.

#4 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

Is there a specific reason why you are choosing a solid state amp over a tube?
What kind of music do you play most?
What kind of guitar do you use?
Have you tried a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

#5 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

From what you told us, this amp seems exactly like mine the Randall RG75DG2. You might want to check it out it is the same amp but a Randall. It is great for metal, I dont us eit for metal though, but check it out.

The contour is basically one knob that can totally shape your tone. Turning it up makes it really chunky and fat.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#6 Around

Around
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:47 PM

@ Ninjato: I'm a metal-oriented guitarist, and I play a white Les Paul with a pair of EMG Actives. The only reason for which I might eventually prefer a solid-state amp is mainly the lower price, and the fact that I don't think I'll need a combo tube amp for home practice. Let's not forget that Dimebag almost exclusively played through solid state amplifiers (even though they were usually 500 watt beasts).

@Kurtlives: I've heard great stuff about Randall amps, might as well check that one out.

I didnt also mention that the Washburn amp I tested is brand new and unused.

Edited by Around, 28 March 2007 - 03:49 PM.

#7 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (Around @ Mar 28 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Ninjato: I'm a metal-oriented guitarist, and I play a white Les Paul with a pair of EMG Actives. The only reason for which I might eventually prefer a solid-state amp is mainly the lower price, and the fact that I don't think I'll need a combo tube amp for home practice. Let's not forget that Dimebag almost exclusively played through solid state amplifiers (even though they were usually 500 watt beasts).

@Kurtlives: I've heard great stuff about Randall amps, might as well check that one out.

I understand. SOmetimes it is not so much volume as much as it is depth of tone. I find that tube amps gives a rounder, sweeter tone. My Roland JC120 is solid state and it is very clean sounding but on the sterile side compared to my Twin Reverb.

(sorry..I have no idea who Dimebag is)

Edited by ninjato, 28 March 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#8 kurtlives

kurtlives

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

I dont like much. But you got to know DIMEBAG FUKCIN DARELL. The dude was a legend. Just a great guy. I have mad respect for him and I really dont like metal.

Around:
One thing I noticed about the Washburn is it does not have a foot switch, which sucks.

And ya Randalls are great amps. Dime played them, I think he had a signature amp with them. Or was that krank? What ever. Try them out, espicially the amp I mentioned before. Same amp as the Burn but with a few better features and suited for metal playing. They are great for the money.
Between here and away

#9 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Original Name: thehundredthone

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:33 AM

Dimebag did also play tubes sometimes. Just saying tongue.gif:
I've never tried a tube amp. Stupid country thmbdn.gif
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

New Original - Room For Two
Originals - Winter, Resonance, Hours, Thrashy-1
Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

#10 Around

Around
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Mar 29 2007, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand. SOmetimes it is not so much volume as much as it is depth of tone. I find that tube amps gives a rounder, sweeter tone. My Roland JC120 is solid state and it is very clean sounding but on the sterile side compared to my Twin Reverb.

If I were to play jazz/blues, tube amps would be the way to go, there would be no alternative. Dimebag Darrell Abbot was the guitarist of Pantera, a groove metal band (for the most part), and he primarily used solid state amps.

QUOTE (kurtlives @ Mar 29 2007, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont like much. But you got to know DIMEBAG FUKCIN DARELL. The dude was a legend. Just a great guy. I have mad respect for him and I really dont like metal.

Around:
One thing I noticed about the Washburn is it does not have a foot switch, which sucks.

And ya Randalls are great amps. Dime played them, I think he had a signature amp with them. Or was that krank? What ever. Try them out, espicially the amp I mentioned before. Same amp as the Burn but with a few better features and suited for metal playing. They are great for the money.

You bet it does. mad.gif I think I'll turn to the Randall eventually.

QUOTE (thehundredthone @ Mar 29 2007, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

o_O I know, that;'s why I said almost exclusively.

And... stupid country?

#11 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (Around @ Mar 29 2007, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I were to play jazz/blues, tube amps would be the way to go, there would be no alternative. Dimebag Darrell Abbot was the guitarist of Pantera, a groove metal band (for the most part), and he primarily used solid state amps.

Cool, as long as you know what you sound like thru a tube and decided an SS suits your needs better. I was the other way around. I kept trying to go SS for $$$ and portability sake but what I play is jazz/blues, and I just had no idea how I would sound like thru a good tube. Once I did, it was over with. I can't go back do to speak. I do like to use my SS amp to play backing tracks w/ though....it doesn't color the sound as much as a tube.

#12 kurtlives

kurtlives

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (Around @ Mar 29 2007, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ninjato @ Mar 29 2007, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (kurtlives @ Mar 29 2007, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Around:

You bet it does. mad.gif I think I'll turn to the Randall eventually.

It does? I read it dosent have one.
QUOTE (thehundredthone @ Mar 29 2007, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

o_O I know, that;'s why I said almost exclusively.

And... stupid country?

Between here and away

#13 thehundredthone

thehundredthone
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Original Name: thehundredthone

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Around @ Mar 29 2007, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And... stupid country?

We're not all from "developed"/"first-world" countries you know mellowno.gif
Heh. For a long while only the Marshall MG series was retailed here. Now we have a few Laney hybrids and the Line 6 series. Tubes will take at least another 5-10 years to arrive. sadbuttrue.gif

Is the Pantera sound the only one you want though? A lot of thrash metal bands (Testament, Megadeth) used tubes. I'll bet that Dimebag didn't directly plug in to his amp either. But some SS amps are pretty transparent, and they don't clip/saturate so if that's the sound you're looking for, then they're great in their own way. Of course when they do clip, it's worse than beans for dinner.
My Soundclick
My ReverbNation

New Original - Room For Two
Originals - Winter, Resonance, Hours, Thrashy-1
Covers - Manhattan (Eric Johnson), Wayfarer (In Flames), Trains (Porcupine Tree), Cannonball (Damien Rice), Hallowed Be Thy Name instrumental (Iron Maiden)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...