#1 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

I'm a pyrotechnician, if you see me running, try to keep up

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,801 posts
  • Original Name: gusdotcom

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

I need a program to compress avi files to make them smaller.
I have this huge 2 GB file from my DV camera that needs to be a lot smaller for me to post it online.
So do anybody knows a good program to do this?

blink.gif

GTUer of the week 7th-13th of February 2005
Owner of 227.5 Major-Points and 45 Igorski Points

#2 testify

testify

If it wasent for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Original Name: testify

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (gusdotcom @ Apr 11 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have this huge 2 GB file from my DV camera that needs to be a lot smaller for me to post it online.

blink.gif

windows movie maker

#3 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (testify @ Apr 11 2007, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (gusdotcom @ Apr 11 2007, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

blink.gif

windows movie maker

It seems it will only save as WMV.

blink.gif

#4 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

Ugh, the programmer should be shot for making Windows Movie Maker, iMovie is so much better, too bad you dont have a Mac.

#5 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

It's not a matter of program, just codec.

Seeing how you want to post it online, it depends on how much quality you want to keep, is it supposed to stream online ? Is it just for someone else to download, but kept as small an convenient for download as possible ? Look into DivX, Xvid and FLV compressing. I wouldn't suggest for compressing to framerates lower than 24 as those aren't too aestethically pleasing for modern day movie-watching eyes, watch the output resolution and bitrate instead.

#6 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (igorski @ Apr 11 2007, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not a matter of program, just codec.

Seeing how you want to post it online, it depends on how much quality you want to keep, is it supposed to stream online ? Is it just for someone else to download, but kept as small an convenient for download as possible ? Look into DivX, Xvid and FLV compressing. I wouldn't suggest for compressing to framerates lower than 24 as those aren't too aestethically pleasing for modern day movie-watching eyes, watch the output resolution and bitrate instead.

I want it to be like 50 mb so it's easier to send to people.

blink.gif

#7 GuitarManZ

GuitarManZ
  • 18 posts
  • Original Name: GuitarManZ

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Apr 11 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh, the programmer should be shot for making Windows Movie Maker, iMovie is so much better, too bad you dont have a Mac.

If you dont like moviemaker get sony vegas. Its more difficult to use but it gets you better stuff and you get way more editing options.
My Gear
Bc Rich Warlock - Left Hooker \m/
Line 6 Spider II 120 Combo
Line 6 FBV Express Footswitch
Boss Me-8 Digital Effects Pedal
Venom Cables

#8 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

The Entire Nation of Poland, herself.

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: jenniferdurst

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

Youtube will compress for you.

Sweet-ass! 351.5 Major-Points�, 1 Loki Ducat�, 1 Herr Mark, 5 Jackson Quints~
"you, my dear, are fabulous" -Trevor James Hawes
"Note to self. Hide penis." -Gus

#9 rolen

rolen
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: rolen

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:20 AM

you need to reduce frame rate & resolution
for this task I can suggest to use VidCrop
http://www.geovid.com/VidCrop/

#10 HighInfidel

HighInfidel
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Original Name: HighInfidel

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:39 AM

Gus,

Your asking for the impossible.

The AVI format is intended for full uncompressed video. To compress from 2GB to 50MB would require you to save as a different format, such as wmv or mpg. You will also need to severely compress the file. There aren't many free video programs out there, so the suggestion of using Windows Movie Maker may be your only option.

You say you want to put it on the web. For that, you'll definately need to use either the mpg or wmv format. I would recommend mpg, as it is more standard, and more widely supported. Even being the M$ junkie that I am, I do NOT recommend using the WMV format.

Now, if you are just trying to get a copy of the video into a family members or friends hands, then simply burn the vid to a DVD and mail it to them. The quality will be so much better, as both the wmv and mpg formats usually compress the video, sometimes to a format that isn't acceptable. With the amount of compression you are looking for, you will NOT be satisfied with the end result.

HighInfidel
HighInfidel - SoundClick.com

Irresponsibility - No single raindrop belives that it is to blame for the flood.

Be the change that you see. - Mohatmas Gandhi

#11 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (HighInfidel @ Jul 26 2007, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gus,

Your asking for the impossible.

The AVI format is intended for full uncompressed video. To compress from 2GB to 50MB would require you to save as a different format, such as wmv or mpg. You will also need to severely compress the file. There aren't many free video programs out there, so the suggestion of using Windows Movie Maker may be your only option.

You say you want to put it on the web. For that, you'll definately need to use either the mpg or wmv format. I would recommend mpg, as it is more standard, and more widely supported. Even being the M$ junkie that I am, I do NOT recommend using the WMV format.

Now, if you are just trying to get a copy of the video into a family members or friends hands, then simply burn the vid to a DVD and mail it to them. The quality will be so much better, as both the wmv and mpg formats usually compress the video, sometimes to a format that isn't acceptable. With the amount of compression you are looking for, you will NOT be satisfied with the end result.

HighInfidel

How come I often find movies that are 800 mb? They're 1.5 hours so that's roughly 4.5 mb/min so a 12 minute video clip would be jsut above 50 mb.

blink.gif

#12 HighInfidel

HighInfidel
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:23 AM

gus,

You mentioned that the video you want to modify was around 2GB. If it is that big, and only 12 mintes long, then that means you recorded the video at some monster of a resolution. If that is indeed the case, you can compress it down and be very satisfied with the results.

If you notice, many of the movies you mentioned are either AVI or MPEG. The Video CD and DVD video formats are based on the MPEG standard.

Video files have several attributes that you'll need to understand.The resolution of the video is comparable to the screen resolution. 640X480, 800X640, 1024X768 and so on. The higher the resolution, the more space it takes.The bit depth of the video determines the color depth. The more colors available, the larger the video file will be.Video formats also vary, with some like the AVI format, containing data for every pixel in every frame, making for rather LARGE video files. The MPEG standard uses a different method, only maintaining data for the pixels that change from frame to frame.

On top of ALL that, you have audio informatin inside the video file. Much like our music recording, the audio in a vid file can be of differing formats, which of course affect the size of the video file.To convert the file, you can compress the video and audio to a "lesser" quality format. Instead of video at 1600X1280 resolution with 24 bit color and CD quality audio, you can convert the video to say, 800X640 res and 16 bit color, and compress the audio by lowering the sample rate. The smaller the video size and color depth and audio sampling rate, the smaller the overall video file will be.

Again, MPEG is the preferred format, as it is more widely supported than the Microsoft wmv format.

On a side, Microsoft helped to create the original AVI format, but moved into the WMV format not just for easier internet downloading, but because it is a Microsoft ONLY format, versus the AVI format that was created by a consortium. Microsoft's philosophy of embrace, expand, and extinguish is the drive behind their push to the WMV format. M$ wants to control too much of what we do, and that is why I STRONGLY discourage anyone from using that format.

In M$'s older days, when AVI was still the dominant Wndows video format, they provided two little utilities for video capture and editing. aviedit.exe and vidcap.exe were eventually replaced with aviedit32.exe and vidcap32.exe. You might be able to use the vidcap program to capture the video from the camera onto the PC, and modify the capture format there. It's a "hack" more than anything though.

Your camera also might have included software for you to do what you are looking to do, and some CD/DVD burning software might also include video editing software that you could use. If you have Nero or Roxio CD burning software, the older the better, you might look to see if video editing software was included.

I've noticed that as our technology "progresses", we are given less and less functionality, presumably to protect copyrights, but more often because companies realize they can charge more for each component, rather than giving you the store, they now charge for every little bit of extra "functionality".

Vista is the ULTIMATE example of this. Do we really need Aero, when all it does is force me to learn yet another ENTIRELY different way of doing the same thing I've always done. Vista has tried to be everything, and in so doing, has become bloated beyond hope. M$ will try to tell you that you need Vista because it's better, when in reality, the ONLY change is the interface. And that isn't real functionality addition, it's just frustrating functionality change, that forces me to relearn how to do the tasks I already know how to do.

I hope all this information helps you.

HighInfidel

Edited by HighInfidel, 26 July 2007 - 09:29 AM.

Irresponsibility - No single raindrop belives that it is to blame for the flood.

#13 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

Just adding that AVI as a file extension should not be viewed as one single video format since it can contain different codecs (motion JPEG A/B, Xvid, DivX and so on) for compressing the video (and audio), explaining why certain AVIs are smaller than others for films that are the same length.

#14 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

So how do I make it a divx?
As I tried lowering everything as far as I could with Encoure and ended up with something that was 500 mb and with much worse video quality than you tube and the audio was used the gsm compression... The resolution was down to 320x200 so it's not that. Must have had a crap codec or something.

blink.gif

#15 HighInfidel

HighInfidel
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

Good point Igorski.

gus,

making the video into a Divx won't exactly get it down to 50 MB. It would just be exchanging the codec. MPEG is the format to convert to. Honestly, all the other formats aren't really meant for file transfer/the internet. To compress from 2GB to 50MB, you are going to lose ALOT of the video quality, and you really can't do much about that. You'll have to make sacrifices but this one might be asking too much. It's like trying to fit a supertankers worth of fluid into an 8 ounce glass. You're gonna loose something.

You might be able to get it down to about 500, with a good quality, but you'll have to experiment to find a quality that is acceptable to you. Keep in mind, all the movies you previously mentioned are probably in VideoCD format, which your CD burner software might do. That might be the way you'll need to go, and then you might be able to rip the MPEG.

Rather than go straight from one format to the other, try stepping it down instead.

Again, experimentation is your best friend.

Unfortunately, there is no ONE solution that will fit all problems.

HighInfidel

#16 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

Actually twelve minutes could work fine in DivX (altough it's been a few years since I last did video editing actively) at around 50 megs, the resolution would be a low 352x288-ish (similar to video CD/MPEG-2) and the audio compressed with Fraunhofer (so it's basically MP3) at 128 kbps. Not hi-quality video, but certainly acceptable (think YouTube).

What you need is a encoder (most software packages that offer codecs for viewing puproses only contain decoders - so you can view, but not make) which you can get at the DivX site. However, bare in mind that people will need the DivX codec to watch the movie, I know, I know it isn't hard to get, but it's not a standard format pre-installed in most media players, just saying.

So I'm going with HighInfidel and suggest MPEG-2. Jennifer made a point about YouTube, why not post it there ? YouTube will convert it to a universal format where all the user needs is a Flash Player and it can stream online. I believe you can upload WMV to YouTube, and all comments regarding Windows Movie Maker aside, the WMV export does offer some flexibilty options concerning the export quality/file size, so you don't need to hunt down extra programs you haven't got at the moment.

JÖNKÖPING !!

I like that name.

#17 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:50 AM

I don't want to post it on youtube, I want to put it on an ftp where people could download it in a reasonable amount of time.
Loss of sound quality is no problem since the built in microphone of the DV cam is crap and the film is of fireworks so there's not that much to hear anyway. Furthermore the actual video quality you see is not all that great because of the low light situation so I can lose a lot of quality and not even notice it.

blink.gif

#18 HighInfidel

HighInfidel
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

gus,

I still have to wonder at what incredible resolution that 12 minute video clip was capture at to produce a 2GB file. As you stated, feature length movies come in at around 700MB. Start by converting the video into a smaller resolution. I would guess that the video was captured at something like 1600x1280 or higher. In that case, simply reducing the resolution down to 640x480 should decrease the size substantially.

Also, take note that the AVI format has some quirks. In the good old days, I had one of the first Connectix QuickCams. It would capture video straight to the PC in 640x480. But in order to capture, I had to specify a file and a size. Even if I didn't capture 100MBs of video, the file was 100MB in size, and the video contained within it came across as incomplete, because the video didn't use the entire 100MB. Your 12minute 2GB video could be suffering the same problem, and getting it down to 50 MB means compressing the entire 2GB, including all the nonvideo space within the file.

Ensure that the 2GB file is all video, and that there is no empty space in the file. Many converters will skip the fact that 1.5GB of the file is nothing, converting the blank space too. This could account for why your compressed files are coming out in such horrid quality. By trimming off the empty space, you get your file down to a more reasonable size.

Again, if you can get the AviEdit32.exe file from the Microsoft website, (good luck with this part by the way), then you can see how much of the file is actually video.

HighInfidel

#19 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

As far as I can see it is all video.
The dimensions are 720x576 and the bitrate 1536 kbps. It's 12:20 long and 2.61 GB.
It's a direct capture from a DV camera.

blink.gif

#20 HighInfidel

HighInfidel
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

gus,

is that 12 hours 20 minutes, or 12 minutes 20 seconds.

That resolution sounds like NTSC standard TV res. NTSC uses bitrate, but it is meaningless in this regard. The most acurate measurements of video are the resolution, the color depth, and the frames per second.

Forgive me, but let's get noob.

The resolution is how many pixels make up the image. Each pixel is a colored dot within the image.
The color depth is the number of colors available to each pixel.
The frames per second is the number of images that must be drawn on the screen to create the video. The human eye 'sees' 24 fps as video, and 30 fps is the the max.

The AVI format allows so many different codecs, which in turn have their own requirements. Any video that is formatted as NTSC is playable on standard American TVs. PAL is the European TV video standard. These formats instead use a standard resolution, and a bitrate, which is a combination of color depth and fps. However, these numbers are kinda meaningless, and I would convert the video into something that is more easily understood. Change the codec to a more standard one such as Indeo from Intel, or any of the Microsoft codecs. You should be able to pull up this info in any video editing software, or the Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer, however, doesn't tell you all the necessary info, so it's numbers aren't as helpful. Depend on what video editing software tells you.

You never mentioned if the camera came with any video editing software. If it did, or if your CD burner has video editing software, you should be able to open the video and find out some basic information. The camera itself, and it's manual, should be consulted to find out not only information about he current video, but how to change the settings for the future.

I still recommend the Avi Edit (aviedit32.exe) from Microsoft. It will give you very acurate information, as it is a developer tool.

gus, there are so many possibilities, it can drive ya mad, i tell ya, mad mad mad. Take the time to read the manuals, browse help files, and to even browse the web. I think CNET has some tutorials on video editing.

It's very important, however, to at least narrow down, video file settings, video editing software, and video codec, to give any more specific advice.

HighInfidel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...