dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:45 AM

I think i'm headed for a crash. The sign is windows takes long to start and if I reset I get an apology message "windows did not start successfully we apologize for the inconvenience it may be due to a recent hardware/software change blah blah blah" and I get the option to let it start normally or in safe mode (sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't) If I reset again, that may do the trick... or it may not. I've done all the necessary updates for the anti-virus (Antivir) I update AdAware and Spybot (which found spyware in my registry). I've freed my C Drive of 20GB worth of stuff I don't really need. I don't know the cause of this if it's my computer acting, (it's 2 years old) or if i'll have to re-install Windows. I'm on XP Professional by the way. Do you guys got any tricks I could use just in case? Thanks.

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:22 AM

First off I'll ask the obvious silly question. Have you tried running a Defrag yet?

Edited by nealmac, 09 May 2007 - 07:23 AM.

#3 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:45 AM

Yeah but I don't use Windows for that i've got a wonderful program that can do it faster yesterday i've defraged C and D in fact I believe i've done all that's possible to avoid the crash, but I can use any tips to prevent it. I've got a Bootable rescue image of the HD if it happens though.

#4 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:48 AM

Hmmm. That's me all out of ideas then I'm afraid sad.gif

#5 monkeybutler

monkeybutler
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • Original Name: monkeybutler

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

At two years old, its not surprising its acting like that. Yeah, the best option is a re-install of windows as is will get you running like new again. If you have an XP disc, you can dtry just reinstalling it 'over the top' of your existing software - this way it just repairs any errors and bugs, and means you dont have to go backing up all your files and programs. If that doesnt work, I'd just do a full format and reinstall. After two years, your machine will be full of crap that you never use and dont even know is there, so a spring clean would go a long way to getting you sorted.

#6 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

Well the PC is 2 years old, but I installed Windows XP Pro a few months ago I was on Windows 2000..... My main issue here, would be to try to avoid this formatting and re-installing and to find out whether that's possible to fix that thing that won't let Windows start normally, thanks for the advice though, if I really have to format, then I'll do just that.

#7 monkeybutler

monkeybutler
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • Original Name: monkeybutler

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

Well, in that case it would be worth trying to just 'repair' the program using the xp disc. Its not hassle and doesn't involve formatting or anything, it just takes about an hour for it to complete.

It looks as though you've done everything else you can to try and sort it out. If it IS some hidden spyware or virus, it may be worth leaving it a couple of weeks and just putting up with it - it may be something new that your antivirus doesnt yet detect, even if you have the latest definition file release for it. Obviously, it takes life for norton, AVG etc to find out about new threats in order to include them in updates.

You might want to PM pbaxter, because as far as i know he's a mega expert on computers and will probably offer much better advice than the likes of us mere mortals! Good luck!

#8 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:46 PM

Backup all your data onto an external drive or something like that, usually its smart to have a second hard drive, the one that Windows goes on should be the master and the second drive should be the slave, or something like that. Odds are if Windows is slow you need to get more RAM, I went through this with my dad's computer, it had Windows reinstalled around Christmas time and the HDD was formatted, yet it still ran slow once all the Windows service packs and updates start flowing in really quickly, thats what slows down your computer, even with spyware/adware and antivirus scans. So we just replaced the 512 MB's of RAM with 2 GB's and now it runs really fast, Windows XP Media Center boots in like 45 seconds to the login screen instead of 2 minutes (this is also a 3 year old computer). My laptop runs XP Pro on 1 GB of RAM and while it runs fine, I am probably going to have to upgrade to 2 GB's eventually (although I plan on building a desktop)

Edited by AcousticSmash, 09 May 2007 - 12:47 PM.

#9 tdintbl

tdintbl

The one and only Billy Shears

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts
  • Original Name: tdintbl

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

Also it may be some unwanted startup items. Go to the start menu then to the "run" command. Type in msconfig and run that. Go to the startup pane. There'll be a whole list of items that boot up with Windows, and most of those items you won't need. If you're familiar with a component and you know you don't need it to run at startup (like qttask which is QuickTime, needless since when your browser needs it it'll just boot it up then anyway) you can go ahead and uncheck that item. If you're unsure usually Google will tell you all you need to know. If you're still not sure, just leave it alone. If this doesn't solve the problem at least your computer will boot up a Hell of a lot quicker.

Soundclick: Because I must join the herd!
"Home: where thought's escaping, home: where my music's playing, home: where my wife lies waiting silently for me."

#10 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

I'm trying the repair with a windows CD option (doing it today) and if that still doesn't do it i'll format... About the RAM that's a brillant idea and i'm seriously considering that as well we never get enough of it it seems i've got 256 MB of RAM which isn't very much if you think..... I've tried the startup menu as well misconfig (and CCleaner can do it too) and everything seems to be OK there. However if I have to format i'll re-install Windows 2000 it's so much better in every way. Thanks for the tips everyone, very much appreciated. I'll just need some luck now.

#11 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:52 AM

I didn't quite catch it, but did you install Win XP as an update to the already installed 2000 ? Or did you format before installing XP clean ? The updating of older systems to newer ones always leaves you with a clogged up, laggy thing where left-over deprecated libraries are still linking to your newer files and running and god knows what.

If you have a HD image, just restore that, saves all the hassle, altough I hope that you've split programs and work over multiple partitions/hard drives. I make images of my C drive which just contains the OS and programs, and put my work on other drives so that the image contains only software, not work, which is ever present on the other drive(s).

In fairness when concerning 256 Mb RAM, if you run a lot of resident software like anti-virus and anti-spyware, sooner or later you're using up a large portion of your physical memory and Windows will have to resort to using your hard drive as a temporary storage which will result in a slooow system. I'm not saying you should immediately go 1 Gb or higher, but adding another 256 Mb will leave you with more than enough speed for average daily program usage.

#12 Adfinem News

Adfinem News
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Original Name: Adfinem News

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:37 AM

My new PC loads windows from pressing the power button in 9 seconds. My last one took about 8 weeks, even though it was a decent spec =/

I am.

#13 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (igorski @ May 10 2007, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't quite catch it, but did you install Win XP as an update to the already installed 2000 ? Or did you format before installing XP clean ? The updating of older systems to newer ones always leaves you with a clogged up, laggy thing where left-over deprecated libraries are still linking to your newer files and running and god knows what.

If you have a HD image, just restore that, saves all the hassle, altough I hope that you've split programs and work over multiple partitions/hard drives. I make images of my C drive which just contains the OS and programs, and put my work on other drives so that the image contains only software, not work, which is ever present on the other drive(s).

In fairness when concerning 256 Mb RAM, if you run a lot of resident software like anti-virus and anti-spyware, sooner or later you're using up a large portion of your physical memory and Windows will have to resort to using your hard drive as a temporary storage which will result in a slooow system. I'm not saying you should immediately go 1 Gb or higher, but adding another 256 Mb will leave you with more than enough speed for average daily program usage.

So far so good, Igorski... i've run the windows disk for damage to avoid formatting and i'll know pretty soon if the problem is fixed but to be honest I don't believe it's gonna be that easy, and I will have to reinstall windows and upgrade my RAM (another 256 MB stick)

Last time i've formatted and installed XP i've done it the clean way so not to worry about that. I'll know in a couple of days if I have to format. My problem with the HD image is that I made it after the problem started so i'm afraid it's not gonna be very useful, but the next i'll make will be like you said only software in C... D is for work ect... Thanks again everyone.

#14 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (igorski @ May 10 2007, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

XP Service Pack 2 will require at least 1 GB of RAM to perform at optimal speed without causing slow downs. I dont have a single computer in my house that doesnt have at least 1 GB of RAM and all of them run Windows XP Professional (one is Media Center mind you), they all perform great and there is no issue with performance.

#15 ILLaViTaR

ILLaViTaR
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Original Name: ILLaViTaR

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ May 11 2007, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (igorski @ May 10 2007, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

XP Service Pack 2 will require at least 1 GB of RAM to perform at optimal speed without causing slow downs. I dont have a single computer in my house that doesnt have at least 1 GB of RAM and all of them run Windows XP Professional (one is Media Center mind you), they all perform great and there is no issue with performance.

Depends on what RAM.

If you have generic ram then probably but if you have decent ram like mushkin, gskill or semi decent ram like A data or kingston then you can run it on 512 easily.

I was running supcom on 512mb Kingston and no problems at all

QUOTE (dorio @ May 11 2007, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (igorski @ May 10 2007, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far so good, Igorski... i've run the windows disk for damage to avoid formatting and i'll know pretty soon if the problem is fixed but to be honest I don't believe it's gonna be that easy, and I will have to reinstall windows and upgrade my RAM (another 256 MB stick)

Last time i've formatted and installed XP i've done it the clean way so not to worry about that. I'll know in a couple of days if I have to format. My problem with the HD image is that I made it after the problem started so i'm afraid it's not gonna be very useful, but the next i'll make will be like you said only software in C... D is for work ect... Thanks again everyone.

Don't buy another 256 stick.

Buy a stick off 512 or even a gig.

What are your system specs?????

In most cases the difference between 256 and 512 can be as low as $15. and around 30 for 512-1Gb.

Depends where you buy from though
My setup

Fender Mexican strat Sunburst/maple

Cort Solid top Accoustic, fishman pickup

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb 50watt Hi Gain combo (upgraded to Celestion G12 M Greenbacks and Class A conversion)

1985 Fender Telecaster 62 reissue (with some modern parts on it)

#16 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (ILLaViTaR @ May 14 2007, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In most cases the difference between 256 and 512 can be as low as $15. and around 30 for 512-1Gb.

Celeron 2.28 GHz 248 MB of RAM (SD)

I've not made the upgrade yet but what you say makes sense to me, I can get it pretty cheap where I am......... The reason i've not upgraded my RAM yet is because since i've dusted the little fan in the cabinet, windows starts faster!

(The fact that windows was long to start but not long to shut down was odd... and that's why i've not changed anything yet (...) I plan to upgrade my RAM to 512 MB (in one stick) in a couple of days.)

#17 ILLaViTaR

ILLaViTaR
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (dorio @ May 15 2007, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ILLaViTaR @ May 14 2007, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celeron 2.28 GHz 248 MB of RAM (SD)

I've not made the upgrade yet but what you say makes sense to me, I can get it pretty cheap where I am......... The reason i've not upgraded my RAM yet is because since i've dusted the little fan in the cabinet, windows starts faster!

(The fact that windows was long to start but not long to shut down was odd... and that's why i've not changed anything yet (...) I plan to upgrade my RAM to 512 MB (in one stick) in a couple of days.)

hmmm good to know it's starting faster.

do you mean the fan on the heatsink over the cpu?

If that's the case it's probably a temp issue.

Go into your BIOS and there should be a section titled PC health (different in every bios) and tell me what your cpu temperature is.

I can't remember but for that particular cpu it should be high 20's to mid 30's celsius.

If your lucky your board could take DDR ram as well as SD ram (a lot of boards around the 2ghz era had 2 DDR slots and 2 SD slots to be upgrade friendly).

For a system of that speed 256 should be fine, 512mb will be better of course but it won't reach full potential since the cpu will bottleneck it.

I'd just get another stick of 256mb which would suit that system perfectly.
My setup

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb 50watt Hi Gain combo (upgraded to Celestion G12 M Greenbacks and Class A conversion)

#18 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (ILLaViTaR @ May 15 2007, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Go into your BIOS and there should be a section titled PC health (different in every bios) and tell me what your cpu temperature is.

I can't remember but for that particular cpu it should be high 20's to mid 30's celsius.

If your lucky your board could take DDR ram as well as SD ram (a lot of boards around the 2ghz era had 2 DDR slots and 2 SD slots to be upgrade friendly).

For a system of that speed 256 should be fine, 512mb will be better of course but it won't reach full potential since the cpu will bottleneck it.

Yes you are correct the cpu temp is way too hot due to environmental heat (I use Everest home edition to check that not BIOS)... and I think that there's an isssue with the power supply box because of the very bad power I get here (...) The thing is under powerded and therefore it's required to work harder than it has to.

I have 2 slots for ram sticks but SD only. All I have to do is to put a new 512 or 2 x 256 mb. I don't really understand the advantage to have 2 sticks in there instead of one though.

#19 ILLaViTaR

ILLaViTaR
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (dorio @ May 16 2007, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ILLaViTaR @ May 15 2007, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you are correct the cpu temp is way too hot due to environmental heat (I use Everest home edition to check that not BIOS)... and I think that there's an isssue with the power supply box because of the very bad power I get here (...) The thing is under powerded and therefore it's required to work harder than it has to.

I have 2 slots for ram sticks but SD only. All I have to do is to put a new 512 or 2 x 256 mb. I don't really understand the advantage to have 2 sticks in there instead of one though.

If you can buy an antec NeoHe 380watt power supply, they're the best value for money.

How many watts is your couurent power supply? more importantly there should be a sticker on the side of it with a table there should be a column titled +12v and an amp rating under it. If it's anything under 16A then you're stressing your computer.

Have you cleaned the cpu fan and especially the heatsink? (I bought an AMD off a mate that was running at 98 degrees (yeah no typo) and after I cleaned it it droped to 37) if that doesn't work buy artic silver 5 thermal paste and reseat the heatsink, (getting the temps down should solve your long windows load).

2 sticks is only better when you have a motherboard chipset supporting dual channel (theoretically doubles the bandwidth) but any SD ram PC will not have it so havig 2 sticks instead of one won't affect your system.

Download memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/download/memtest33.zip) and run it for 20minutes, if you get no errors your current ram should be fine so don't bother buying another 512 just 1 stick of 256.

If however you get a more than say 3 errors I'd ditch it and buy 512mb of decent quality ram.
My setup

#20 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (ILLaViTaR @ May 16 2007, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you can buy an antec NeoHe 380watt power supply, they're the best value for money.

How many watts is your couurent power supply? more importantly there should be a sticker on the side of it with a table there should be a column titled +12v and an amp rating under it. If it's anything under 16A then you're stressing your computer.

Have you cleaned the cpu fan and especially the heatsink? (I bought an AMD off a mate that was running at 98 degrees (yeah no typo) and after I cleaned it it droped to 37) if that doesn't work buy artic silver 5 thermal paste and reseat the heatsink, (getting the temps down should solve your long windows load).

2 sticks is only better when you have a motherboard chipset supporting dual channel (theoretically doubles the bandwidth) but any SD ram PC will not have it so havig 2 sticks instead of one won't affect your system.

Download memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/download/memtest33.zip) and run it for 20minutes, if you get no errors your current ram should be fine so don't bother buying another 512 just 1 stick of 256.

If however you get a more than say 3 errors I'd ditch it and buy 512mb of decent quality ram.

Like I said, since the dusting it's been better but we never know do we? so my plan is to get a new power supply (the kind you suggested) as well as 256 mb extra ram....I've downloaded but can't use the memtest yet cauz i've got no floppy drive anymore. By any chance can this be done with a CD?

I've got 2 brushes to dust the fans I use the thinner for the cpu and power supply's fan and the normal brushe for the main fan I guess i've cleaned it well tho it's more difficult to dust the heatsink. My power supply is of 400 watts switching power.

Ac input = 230 vac AAA 50 - 60 htz.

Dc output max + 12 v

+ 5 v
+ 3.3 v
+ 5 vsb
- 12 v
- 5 v
15 A

Model HTX 12 v Version 1.3 (that's what is written in the sticker on the side.)

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. The temp is very weird to watch it changes every second can be as low as 8 c or (hang on) as high as 60 c and my HD temp is of 56 c. So you see i've really got a temperature issue here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...