17 replies to this topic

#1 boggle3

boggle3
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Original Name: boggle3

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hello. Off the back of the saddist songs thread, does anyone know any good upbeat acoustic songs as everytime I do a gig, people always come up and say "amazing singing and playing but do you know anything we candance to"? and it makes me feel like im being really depressing without knowing it.

#2 Black Betty

Black Betty

Pharaoh's Dance

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts
  • Original Name: Black Betty

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

that whole thread impressed me at the level of inept spelling that infiltrates this site. S - A - D - D - E - S - T .. .. ..

that said

you wanna upbeat song? how about the Grateful Dead's Touch of Grey. Take a look and a listen to all those chord changes and hop them right up at a tempo of about 145. . . good fun.

simple reggae beats will always work too. Sublime with some good jamming will get the job done.

Spam Injected Daily

#3 nate.

nate.

Ay, yo, this rap is like ziti.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,546 posts
  • Original Name: Nater11

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

What Would You Say - dmb
Jimi Thing - dmb
Funky Monks - red hot chili peppers. (ya, its played electric, but its just as fun on acoustic)
Bubble toes - jack johnson
Flake - Jack johnson
Taylor - jack johnson
Santeria - sublime(again, its played electric but its just as good if not better acoustic)
Interstate Love Song - stone temple pilots
Plush - stone temple pilots
Just - Radiohead

if you really want something to get the crowd going- try these hip/hop songs:
All Falls Down - Kanye West feat. Syleena
Roses - Outkast
Ignition remix - R. Kelly

Edited by Nater11, 28 July 2007 - 11:34 AM.

0e5efacb-b8f0-4d66-9f87-bd9292db5751_zps

Harry Allen on you bitch, I believe no hype.

#4 jones991

jones991
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Original Name: jones991

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

people dance to acoustic guitar?
"Oops, did I say that outloud?"

#5 boggle3

boggle3
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

yeah, Itenplay Brown Eyed Girl and this one guy gets up and dances the whole way through. It feels fantastic cos you know they are really enjoying it. well at least one person

#6 nate.

nate.

• GZ Regular
  • 14,546 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

Worst post ever?

#7 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,309 posts
  • Original Name: w00dy

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

how the ###### can mess with young girls and play the ignition remix at the same time????? i think someones missing the whole point of rap

---->>Fairy Lights<<----
     ^^^new song^^^

#8 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,908 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:23 AM

For solo acoustic danceable stuff, nothing beats the I-IV-V 12-bar shuffle.
Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

Posted Image
John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#9 boggle3

boggle3
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:43 AM

so how do I play that?

Edited by boggle3, 30 July 2007 - 04:43 AM.

#10 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,908 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:04 AM

It's like a moderately fast blues or rock'n'roll rhythm. There are lots of tunes that fit in that too. A basic-12-bar blues progression with a "shuffle" rhythm. If you aren't sure what a shuffle is let me know. (You'll know what it IS, but might not know what it's called.) I did a post on it awhile back and have it saved somewhere. There are virtually tons of tunes that were done (or can be done) that way, and they are always good to throw into an acoustic set where most of the tunes are difficult to dance to. It's kind of the "primal" dance rhythm! laugh.gif

Posted Image

#11 boggle3

boggle3
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

higher

back to normal

higher

normal,

if you get this then we have great minds dadfad. is it like that sort of rock around the clock rhythm?

#12 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,908 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

higher

back to normal

higher

normal,

if you get this then we have great minds dadfad. is it like that sort of rock around the clock rhythm?

Posted Image I actually DO get what you mean! (I'm pretty sure). "Rock Around the Clock" is one variation of the shuffle. There are others, some simpler and some more complex. Most Chuck Berry tunes use a shuffle. The Elvis tune "Don't Be Cruel" uses another variation. The first part of the LedZep (actually Sonnyboy Williamson) tune "Bring It On Home" uses another variation (a bit slower). The Elvis tune "Beepin' and Hidin' " is another (the Jimmy Reed version "Baby What You Want Me To Do" is good, maybe even a better example.) Actually a big chunk of Jimmy's tunes use a shuffle that can translate well to solo danceable acoustic. A little tip... I don't know if you play harmonica or not, but these kinds of tunes are an excellent way to break into adding rack-harp to your set. Even just the very simplest beginner chug-a-chugs (using a harp in the IV position of the tune, for example a D-harp in an A-shuffle) can "fill out" a tune tremendously. With the added benefit that audiences just l-o-o-o-o-v-e harmonica. (Doesn't even have to be "good" harmonica Just not "bad" harmonica ) And a few simple in-and-out rhythmic chugs fits that perfectly (A harmonica actually "chugs" in a simple shuffle naturally.), and gives you so much more of a... roomful of sound. (Jimmy was an old "rack-guy" himself.) The old Slim Harpo tune (and Yardbirds' cover) "Got Love If Ya Want It" translates well. The old instrumental tune "Green Onions" (another shuffle variation, both of those moving slightly toward the "boogie" end of the shuffle variations) is another. There are lots.

If you're on a wooden-stage (or have wooden "stomp-board") using your foot well (often on a separate mic) can add a lot of percussion (sometimes even sounding like an upright bass) and therefore "danceability" to your tunes.

Anyway, hope that helps. (I can help more if necessary.)

Posted Image

#13 jones991

jones991
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Original Name: jones991

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

Worst post ever?

i've never seen anyone dance to acoustic guitar. then again, i don't hang out at the school dance.
"Oops, did I say that outloud?"

#14 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 27,908 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:55 AM

Worst post ever?

i've never seen anyone dance to acoustic guitar. then again, i don't hang out at the school dance.

All the old blues-guys (and lots of old country-guys too) played the dance/juke joints back before there was electric-bands. Most of their music was just solo dance-music (or with a harmonica player sometimes). The stuff you hear recorded was usually their more "serious" music. But mostly they just played endless shuffles and boogies for people to dance to. I just got home last week from a visiting a few old friends and an acoustic-music workshop where every night the dancing went on till sunrise. All to acoustic music. Usually a guitar and a harp, or a guitar (or two) and a fiddle, or a banjo or mandolin. Or guitar and dobro (or whatever combination of all those you want to put together!).

Posted Image

#15 Scorp

Scorp
  • 87 posts
  • Original Name: Scorp

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:41 AM

I guess you've never been to a Great Big Sea concert.

#16 nate.

nate.

• GZ Regular
  • 14,546 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

how the ###### can mess with young girls and play the ignition remix at the same time????? i think someones missing the whole point of rap

Dont go bringin down the whole genre of rap just cuz someone touched someone else. I gurantee if you look back
there were more cases with rock stars molesting girls then rappers.

Worst post ever?

Most schools dont even have live music anymore, thats the wonders of computers.

#17 CaptRonMusic

CaptRonMusic
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: CaptRonMusic

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Dont go bringin down the whole genre of rap just cuz someone touched someone else. I gurantee if you look back

Worst post ever?

Very dumb comment. I'm a pro acoustic soloist/band. For twenty five years I've played venues acoustically where people have asked for dance music. I always feel put on the spot. I've continuously added what I think are danceable songs but after all these years it still intimidates me. I have a great act but I love atmosphere and music that moves the soul. "Story Telling" Dancing is great but that's not why I pursued music as a career. The person who made this comment is either a dumb kid or someone who has no experience as a working musician. I found this thread searching for acoustic dance songs because I have so many requests.

Don't worry about your dumb comment. One day you may understand what I'm trying to explain.

Edited by CaptRonMusic, 22 December 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#18 Nealio

Nealio

Better call Saul

• Ombudsman
  • 34,279 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Worst post ever?

The person who made this comment is either a dumb kid or someone who has no experience as a working musician.

Actually, you're wrong on both counts.

93687336092664069705317.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...