#1 ride85

ride85

Nath

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • Original Name: ride85

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:16 AM

I was wondering if you can coil tap humbuckers so you can use em in single coil mode for funkier clean tone stuff. and if you can, does it work well or is it a waste of time..anyone have any knowledge about the subject...i'm thinking it might be an option for my own LP for tonal versatility in my covers band.
www.myspace.com/nath85

#2 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

I'm glad you are looking into this - it can be very effective!
A standard humbucker will have 4 main wires comming out of it - a hot output, ground/shield, and two other wires (the end of one coil and the beginning of the other).
These two wires (usually twisted together) can be soldered to a switch which sends them to ground.

When they are sent to ground, the current only passes through one coil of the humbucker (the other coil effectively has both ends of the coil going to ground - therefore no signal).

You can use a button, switch, push-pull pot, etc. - whatever lets you send that cable to ground (basically a piece of hardware that lets you join the two wires to a ground wire).

This will give you the clearer, crisper sound of a single coil.

One problem which may be encountered is the coil-tapped sound becoming too thin. Because not all humbuckers were designed to sound as good as a single coil when tapped, you can make a few minor adjustments to make them sound clearer.
You can wire a capacitor to where the coil gets sent to ground. This will give you the clear treble of the single coil, with the bass of a humbucker (here, only the treble of the second coil gets sent to ground, while the bass remains).

If this gives you too much bass, wire a resistor in parallel with the capacitor. (e.g. the treble of the second coil is sent to ground, while about 60% of the bass from the second coil gets sent to ground). I can give you more details about the values of the capacitors and resistors if you like.

If you have any questions, just ask smile.gif .
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#3 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:54 AM

Ya its a neat feature. I did it own the humbucker in my fat strat. It dosent sound exactly like a single coil but pretty damn close.

The only problem is that you are using only one of the two coils so your output is cut in half. This mean the pickup wont be as loud as before.

Why not try it though. All you need is a pushpull pot, a wiring diagram, a soldering iron and a few minutes.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#4 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:55 AM

Single coils aren't for me. No matter how many times I've tried them, I can't get over the thin tone. The mod would be cool as in a "geek" thing to do, but I don't see myself ever using the mod myself.

#5 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,100 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:46 AM

You just need to get push/pull pots in order to coil tap, with an HSH pickup configuration, you can get up to 5 different single coil sounds on a 5 way switch through coil tapping, my Ibanez RT650 has it and I really like the sounds it produces, good for clean rhythm on the bridge position humbucker (Seymour Duncan SH-5) and nice clean leads on the neck humbucker (stock Ibanez pickup).

#6 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Nov 4 2007, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You just need to get push/pull pots in order to coil tap, with an HSH pickup configuration, you can get up to 5 different single coil sounds on a 5 way switch through coil tapping, my Ibanez RT650 has it and I really like the sounds it produces, good for clean rhythm on the bridge position humbucker (Seymour Duncan SH-5) and nice clean leads on the neck humbucker (stock Ibanez pickup).

I really like coil tapping my bridge and combining it with my single middle pup. This way the ouput is not so low. It also sounds pretty nice.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#7 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (kurtlives @ Nov 5 2007, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Nov 4 2007, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really like coil tapping my bridge and combining it with my single middle pup. This way the ouput is not so low. It also sounds pretty nice.

I do that too (actually, with the guitar below) but the higher strings sound too sharp compared to the bass strings which sound alot better... maybe I need to fiddle with the p'up heights a bit.
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#8 Covenant

Covenant
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Original Name: Covenant

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

Single coils aren't for me. No matter how many times I've tried them, I can't get over the thin tone. The mod would be cool as in a "geek" thing to do, but I don't see myself ever using the mod myself.

Same. It's irritated me to the point where guitars without double humbucker configs irritate me and I'll generally turn them down. Probably the only exception to this is a standard telecaster, and it's versatility is to the point where it almost outweighs the lack of humbuckers.

Either way, any guitar I presently own or plan on owning soon, has two humbuckers.

#9 Orchestrazia Ardwick

Orchestrazia Ardwick

The most inept that ever stepped

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,157 posts
  • Original Name: el_burton

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:01 AM

I bought a Gordon Smith guitar recently that has a coil-tapped humbucker in the bridge position, and I find it really useful. Gives a good rich humbucker tone with the switch in, and a lovely twangy, almost Tele-like tone with it out. Given that I never really use neck pickups (too dull for my tastes), it's useful having two bright, yet very distinctive, pickups.

WhoAnniversary2.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...