13 replies to this topic

#1 jackousonoff

jackousonoff
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Original Name: jackousonoff

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:20 AM

Hey,

So according to the Digidesign site 7.4 works with Vista Business, but home hasn't been tested, which doesn't help at all. What i was wondering is, if any of you have actually tried to install it on home, and if so, what were the results?

Cheers.

#2 jackousonoff

jackousonoff
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

I'm not just replying to my own post to feel popular.

Obviously none of you had tried it with Vista, which is fine. I just thought I'd come back on just incase anyone searches for the same answer. Pro tools 7.4 does work with Windows Vista Home edition. Digidesign have also since changed the compatability info on the site to now say something like "although we have not tested it, there are no known problems with Home Edition" Obviously just covering their arse incase it doesnt work for someone.

Cheers.

#3 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

Cool. The difference in software compatability between Home and Premium would be non-existent anyways since they both run on the same kernel. Like how XP home and professional ceased to exist after SP2 because everybody realised it was a bunch of nonsense anyways.

I'm glad we can add Pro Tools to the list of software that doesn't throw a hissyfit on Vista. Altough I guess it helps the Digidesign board communicates directly with Pro Tools rather than through Windows.

#4 scomosound

scomosound
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: scomosound

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hello,

Regarding this Pro Tools / Vista issue... Before ordering my MBox 2 (my first PT purchase of any kind), I visited Digidesign's web site and found some encouraging answers, then for greater assurance, I emailed them and asked if I would be able to run Pro Tools LE on my Gateway laptop running Vista Home Premium. They replied, "Pro Tools is compatible with Windows Vista 32-bit Business or Ultimate. Home Premium is in the testing stages. However we do have some customers who have gotten it to work with that OS. I would check the forums to see what other customers are saying about that OS."

Not exactly the warm-fuzzy professional answer I was looking for, so I hit the forums and retail sites, and ultimately felt confident enough to go ahead and order. Received that order today, followed the install by the book and immediately got an error message saying that it could only be installed on Mac OS or Windows XP with SP2. With that kind of roadblock, it wouldn't matter if you had Vista Business, Vista Platinum, Vista Home Premium, or Vista Cardboard.

Not sure where to go from here. I tried calling their tech support today but they're closed on Fridays. So I emailed them the question and hope to hear from them sometime after the weekend. I guessing that you've gotten past this hurdle by now since your post was in January?

Thank you,
Scott Morrison
Van Nuys, California, USA

QUOTE (jackousonoff @ Jan 5 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not just replying to my own post to feel popular.
Obviously none of you had tried it with Vista, which is fine. I just thought I'd come back on just incase anyone searches for the same answer. Pro tools 7.4 does work with Windows Vista Home edition. Digidesign have also since changed the compatability info on the site to now say something like "although we have not tested it, there are no known problems with Home Edition" Obviously just covering their arse incase it doesnt work for someone.

Cheers.

#5 jackousonoff

jackousonoff
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (scomosound @ Mar 8 2008, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

Regarding this Pro Tools / Vista issue... Before ordering my MBox 2 (my first PT purchase of any kind), I visited Digidesign's web site and found some encouraging answers, then for greater assurance, I emailed them and asked if I would be able to run Pro Tools LE on my Gateway laptop running Vista Home Premium. They replied, "Pro Tools is compatible with Windows Vista 32-bit Business or Ultimate. Home Premium is in the testing stages. However we do have some customers who have gotten it to work with that OS. I would check the forums to see what other customers are saying about that OS."

Not exactly the warm-fuzzy professional answer I was looking for, so I hit the forums and retail sites, and ultimately felt confident enough to go ahead and order. Received that order today, followed the install by the book and immediately got an error message saying that it could only be installed on Mac OS or Windows XP with SP2. With that kind of roadblock, it wouldn't matter if you had Vista Business, Vista Platinum, Vista Home Premium, or Vista Cardboard.

Not sure where to go from here. I tried calling their tech support today but they're closed on Fridays. So I emailed them the question and hope to hear from them sometime after the weekend. I guessing that you've gotten past this hurdle by now since your post was in January?

Thank you,
Scott Morrison
Van Nuys, California, USA

Hot topic this one, 5 posts in 5 months....

Anyway, I just installed it and it worked. Maybe I was lucky, don't know why you had a problem. Since your last post was a month ago....how did it turn out?

Cheers,
A.

#6 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:46 PM

It probably worked for you since you could have the service pack installed, I do believe that Microsoft recently released the first of what will no doubt be many service packs. It probably did not work properly for the other person for that very reason, otherwise some updates could have allowed it to run properly, I am not 100% sure.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 17 April 2008 - 08:49 PM.

#7 BaldingGuitarist

BaldingGuitarist
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: BaldingGuitarist

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (igorski @ Jan 5 2008, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool. The difference in software compatability between Home and Premium would be non-existent anyways since they both run on the same kernel. Like how XP home and professional ceased to exist after SP2 because everybody realised it was a bunch of nonsense anyways.

I'm glad we can add Pro Tools to the list of software that doesn't throw a hissyfit on Vista. Altough I guess it helps the Digidesign board communicates directly with Pro Tools rather than through Windows.

Interesting ... when you said the board communicates direcly with Pro Tools, is that why it Vista tells me I have no audio devices installed? PT works OK, so do I need to have a second sound card for day to day stuff?

Thx.

#8 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:50 AM

For XP there was the so-called WaveDriver that lets the Digidesign devices function as the soundcard within other Windows applications, the last time I checked there was no Vista driver available... perhaps the tide has changed. Most computers ship with an onboard chip for sound anyways, if it is deactivated in your BIOS, reactivate it and Vista should find it. You can then of course connect that card to the src in of your Digi.

#9 BaldingGuitarist

BaldingGuitarist
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: BaldingGuitarist

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (igorski @ May 24 2008, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For XP there was the so-called WaveDriver that lets the Digidesign devices function as the soundcard within other Windows applications, the last time I checked there was no Vista driver available... perhaps the tide has changed. Most computers ship with an onboard chip for sound anyways, if it is deactivated in your BIOS, reactivate it and Vista should find it. You can then of course connect that card to the src in of your Digi.

Thanks ... makes sense now!

#10 noodletaboo

noodletaboo
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: noodletaboo

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

HI!

So, do you think it would work mbox(1)/vista home premium/ protools LE 7.4?

Thanks, I found all the info very useful!

#11 Mike218

Mike218
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Mike218

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

HELP!!!!

I cant install pro tools onto my computer because i have vista...but i cant do the vista 7.4 update because its not installed in the first place.
it is seeming to be a problem, does anyone have a solution? or way to get the update to install with pro tools or something?

#12 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (igorski @ Jan 5 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't XP Pro have all the fancy pants network administration software with it? Cause I am pretty sure it wasn't until SP2 that XP Home got the same features.

Why don't people ask the designers of Pro Tools about these problems? That is why they created it and have their own support department, most people haven't even bothered to switch to Vista and most don't want to like myself so we can't explain the issues as easily. I have Pro Tools 7.3 on XP and it works fine on Vista too as I have tried it, although it isn't legit since it is an unlocked full version of the M-Powered demo that came with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro that I didn't pay for (nor would I cause it's effing expensive).

I figure your best bet and save yourself the pain of incompatibility with Pro Tools and the cost is to download Reaper, it's free to try out for 30 days but after that a license for non-commercial use is 50 bucks and it is very easy to use software with a good amount of features. I believe the guys who design it used to work on something like Cool Edit Pro or Pro Tools but felt that the asinine prices for good recording software was unfair to musicians who are trying to make albums with good software for a reasonable pricepoint.

#13 pointblank510

pointblank510
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: pointblank510

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Mike218 @ Dec 27 2008, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HELP!!!!

I cant install pro tools onto my computer because i have vista...but i cant do the vista 7.4 update because its not installed in the first place.
it is seeming to be a problem, does anyone have a solution? or way to get the update to install with pro tools or something?

yes .. i encountered this at first .. the solution is simple

right click on the setup icon and click on properties

from the compatibility tab click the box that says "run this program in compatibility mode for windows XP service pack 2"

and you should have no problem installing your version of PT LE

#14 Money G.

Money G.
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: Money G.

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (jackousonoff @ Nov 30 2007, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey,

So according to the Digidesign site 7.4 works with Vista Business, but home hasn't been tested, which doesn't help at all. What i was wondering is, if any of you have actually tried to install it on home, and if so, what were the results?

Cheers.

I have a HP pavilion dv9429 notebook pc. I purchased pro tools le 7.4 not knowing that it would not work with my 64 bit laptop. So, what did I do? I had a desktop built from scratch. It's a 2.8gig with a 3.7 processor. I'm using XP BLACK (hacker version of windows xp) It's pretty cool. Anyway, Pro tools le 7.4 works like a dream on it. What does this have to do with your problem?......nothing, but I installed pro tools onto the laptop again and guess what?.............It works like a dream. I'm not sure why but, I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm using waves mercury bundle for plug-ins instead of protools plug-ins. When I installed pro tools for the first time on the laptop, it would always stop loading right when it got to the dae files and then and freeze. I had to ctrl alt delete and start over. So, it's pretty much a toss up. You may or may not get good results.

The only way you know if you're going to be satisfied is to go strictly by the requirements. I sold my desktop for more than I paid for it and then bought a nice mic and some cables with it. I know, you're impatient. So am I but I'm so glad I was patient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...