- - - - -

New AmpJust Wonderin..

8 replies to this topic

#1 murpay

murpay
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Location:Canada (no its not constant winter and i dont live in an igloo)
  • Original Name: murpay

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

Anyone have any experience with either of these amps? http://www.musicians...kage?sku=483068 or http://www.musicians...kage?sku=482807 ? Im Looking to upgrade from my Roland Cube 30 and these are roughly around the price range I'm looking at. I was just wondering what your thoughts would be on these. I play mostly Classic Rock i guess nothing to heavy.
user posted image

#2 RobertoCorbari

RobertoCorbari
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Original Name: RobertoCorbari

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

Ive not played either of those but have had experience with other DFX models, the smaller one's are ok as a practice amp but ive never really liked them.
I would seriously consider whether you need a 4x12" Cab. I think your money could be much better spent on a small valve combo, something you may want to keep for a long time.

One of these perhaps click

Edited by RobertoCorbari, 20 February 2008 - 12:32 PM.

#3 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:27 PM

Both suck major balls. Buy a real amp like a Krank, Laney or a Randall, anything tube. Solid state amps are pieces of sh.t imo and most of them lack versatility, not to mention they ruin the real tone of good guitars.

That would be a huge downgrade btw, cause Marshall MG's are terrible. Just cause it says Marshall, does not mean it will sound like a real Marshall half stack and they don't tongue.gif

The only people who would buy them are n00bs who don't know the slightest thing about playing guitar or anything about amps.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 20 February 2008 - 01:29 PM.

#4 hellyea

hellyea
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Original Name: hellyea

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

WOH, calm down mate!

Im at uni at the moment and im using these amps in the and practice room. At home i have an ENGL screamer, and i can tell you, for the money- those marshall amps are worth it.

Fair enough, if you have the money, get a tube amp. But i can get usable metal/rock sounds out of those amps. Believe me, you can do ALOT worse than these amps.

HOWEVER, to be brutally honest- if you have a Cube 30 now- the marshal isnt going to be much different... Maybe save your money ?
IPB Image

#5 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

You can't do worse then a Marshall MG other then a Line 6 Spider or pretty much any other solid state amp, it just isn't worth it. Crate makes really good tube amps for people on a budget, you can get a 30 watt tube combo for 300 USD or so, they sound pretty good for rock and blues imo.

#6 builtmyownbass

builtmyownbass

Audition candidate

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • Original Name: builtmyownbass

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:51 AM

I have a Megatone 60W combo with a tube preamp, and the difference the single valve makes compared to solid state is amazing. Most guitars sound the same through a cheap solid state, but a valve brings out every quality of the guitar itself.
On channel 1, I can get anything from an extreemly clean sound, to a light blues overdrive when the gain is on 10. On channel 2, I can get from a little less overdrive then channel one, all the way up to a weighted distortion, and everything in between just as easily. I leave my CH2 gain between 6 and 7 for a smooth lead sound.
If an amp can't go halfway between clean and dirty, than it is not worth the money. (Unless, for example, it is only built for clean).
There should not be a distinguishable point where the signal begins to distort.
Soundclick me.

1. You smell them from the grinder.
2. You smell them in your brewed cup.
3. You smell them leaving...

#7 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, hybrid amps are actually pretty good, they sound miles better then a standard solidstate amp. I had a Vox AD50VT and it was pretty good aside from the built in effects, I just wish the amp could be adjusted so that you could get more gain out of it without changing the amp model setting, those features were a bit useless to me.

#8 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

There's nothing wrong with solid state amps. I have personally played quite a few that were very very good. Also, may good/well known artists use solid state amps. B.B. King for example, plays solid state amps.

That being said, a good tube combo is still the way to go tongue.gif.

#9 misterhat

misterhat

I am your leader. Follow me.

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,166 posts
  • Original Name: misterhat

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

You need Crate Palomino.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...