* * * * * 1 votes

Song... With music video!School project thinger.

14 replies to this topic

#1 tml

tml
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts
  • Original Name: tml

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:17 PM

Right, so back in January I posted a short instrumental song I wrote for an upcomming project for my Video class in school (I doubt you remember...). Anyways, the project's due tomorrow, so I figured today would be a good day to finish it.

My original idea for the video was to have a friend dress up as a lonely giant aluminium foil robot impatiently waiting for the bus. He'd get on it, and drive off happily ever after. Turns out they wouldn't let me film, let alone permit a person dressed up as a giant aluminium foil robot onto the bus. So I had to change up my plans.

I decided to do some stop-motion stuff involving a Rubik's cube and and a partial tour of my dorm room. Nothing overly impressive, but I think I'm happy with how it turned out.

So yeah, I composed the tune too, yo'.

Let me know what you think:

-Tracy

#2 chasyd

chasyd

tries..

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • Original Name: chasyd69

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

I thought that was pretty mint to be honest.
The music was pretty chilled and went well with your little vid which looked pretty cool.
Nothing to say on a constructive level but I like it and thought it was good.

#3 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

What chasyd said. It's very cool. You've been creative with the music and the cube seems to have a good time. Well done.

#4 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

ohmy.gif Dinsdaaaale!

I still like the song (I believe I mentioned it's Mogwai-ish feel before when you posted it the first time) and the video is cool, but I feel it's somewhat directionless. It's okay to have a surreal vibe (actually I applaud that, don't take the directionless-comment the wrong way), but when you return to the cube after walking around the room, it feels like a "ey? this again"-moment since it repeats the cube fondling the first time 'round, without it being different, other than the point I'll mention later on. But perhaps your teacher can explain that better, and if he/she doesn't then I didn't say anything either tongue.gif

I really did enjoy the part where you just walked around your room (cool dinosaur), which worked well with the low framerate/stop-motion feel to give a familiar process such as just walking around a more dreamy sphere, complemented the music very well. I think the last Rubik's cube bit (where you don't see the cube turning and twisting, but rather just the block colours change) worked better than the first.

And overall kudos to you for coming up with a minute-and-a-half of stop motion in the limited time span you had (didn't you start this on monday ?)

#5 mantra

mantra

Spending life trying to cover it up

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Original Name: mantra

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:44 AM

I pretty much agree with what Igorski said. The music compliments the video with the choppy frames and the surreal look to it, however, it doesn't "say" anything.; thus the title of the song confuses me to what it (the song) has to do with the video. In some cases, people will create songs or music just to fill out a good movie scene, not caring *too much* how good the music is. I feel this project is the other way around, a mediocre video created to a very nice piece of art. I'm not saying it's bad, and what you did was noble (and time consuming) in a good way, but the way you described the robot in your above post, well, that just sounds a lot more interesting.
<-- NEW SONG availible! Check it, yo.

#6 laker0902

laker0902
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,404 posts
  • Original Name: laker0902

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:05 AM

That was really cool, the rubix cube parts were amazing. The music was nice and chill too, suited it very well.

My only complaint is the quality, but I'm sure it's much better when not viewed from youtube.

Great work, I think you'll get an "A"!

~Sara

#7 waz416

waz416
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,369 posts
  • Original Name: waz416

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:51 PM

GOD DAMN IT TRACY...GOD DAMN IT ...OGD DAMN IT...WHY ARE YOU SO TALENTED....!!!!...I SWEAR TO GOD......tat li l1 min of music with that lil video...it gave me chills....hate to admit this but a feeling of melancholy came over me...almost shed a tear there.....very nicely done....the music went very well with the video...i loved it...savin it to my favs...adn gigin u 5 stars...!!!!...PEAC EOUT
My Itunes Album : BUY IT <a href="http://www.apple.com...e.com/wasim</a>

#8 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

Tracy, you will be famous one day. No doubt about it. That was magnificent.

#9 NorthWind

NorthWind
  • 92 posts
  • Original Name: NorthWind

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

woow this is great stuff Tracy!

ps i duno why but the music reminds me sorta of Travis tongue.gif

Edited by NorthWind, 13 March 2008 - 05:25 PM.

#10 tml

tml
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (chasyd69 @ Mar 12 2008, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that was pretty mint to be honest.
The music was pretty chilled and went well with your little vid which looked pretty cool.
Nothing to say on a constructive level but I like it and thought it was good.

Haha, cool. Thanks. cool.gif

QUOTE (dorio @ Mar 13 2008, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What chasyd said. It's very cool. You've been creative with the music and the cube seems to have a good time. Well done.

Thank you, sir.

QUOTE (igorski @ Mar 13 2008, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif Dinsdaaaale!

I still like the song (I believe I mentioned it's Mogwai-ish feel before when you posted it the first time) and the video is cool, but I feel it's somewhat directionless. It's okay to have a surreal vibe (actually I applaud that, don't take the directionless-comment the wrong way), but when you return to the cube after walking around the room, it feels like a "ey? this again"-moment since it repeats the cube fondling the first time 'round, without it being different, other than the point I'll mention later on. But perhaps your teacher can explain that better, and if he/she doesn't then I didn't say anything either tongue.gif

I really did enjoy the part where you just walked around your room (cool dinosaur), which worked well with the low framerate/stop-motion feel to give a familiar process such as just walking around a more dreamy sphere, complemented the music very well. I think the last Rubik's cube bit (where you don't see the cube turning and twisting, but rather just the block colours change) worked better than the first.

And overall kudos to you for coming up with a minute-and-a-half of stop motion in the limited time span you had (didn't you start this on monday ?)

Hahaha. Yeah, we had to come up with a fictional production company... I had to bring Python into it. I'm glad somebody caught that.

As for it being 'directionless', I understand completely what you mean. My professor didn't really care about having a 'story' for this project, as it was our first assignment using proper video editing software and stuff. She really just wanted to see what we could do with it. I'm not really sure if I was allowed to do stop-motion for it, so that might be a problem. She did say she wanted us to be creative, so I'm going to use that as my excuse.

And I pretty musch started and finished the entire thing the day before it was due. And I was one of 4 people who actually finished the project and handed it in. People in my class suck.

QUOTE (mantra @ Mar 13 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pretty much agree with what Igorski said. The music compliments the video with the choppy frames and the surreal look to it, however, it doesn't "say" anything.; thus the title of the song confuses me to what it (the song) has to do with the video. In some cases, people will create songs or music just to fill out a good movie scene, not caring *too much* how good the music is. I feel this project is the other way around, a mediocre video created to a very nice piece of art. I'm not saying it's bad, and what you did was noble (and time consuming) in a good way, but the way you described the robot in your above post, well, that just sounds a lot more interesting.

The song title has nothing to do with the video. Hahaha. It just needed a name (teacher didn't want us to have the music called "Untitled") and that's what I called it at the time.

And I'd have LOVED to work out the robot idea. Perhaps during the summertime for fun.

Thanks.

QUOTE (laker0902 @ Mar 13 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was really cool, the rubix cube parts were amazing. The music was nice and chill too, suited it very well.

My only complaint is the quality, but I'm sure it's much better when not viewed from youtube.

Great work, I think you'll get an "A"!

~Sara

It's only partly YouTube's fault. I made it look kind of ###### on purpose (I like that old, crap camera footage look).

QUOTE (waz416 @ Mar 13 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GOD DAMN IT TRACY...GOD DAMN IT ...OGD DAMN IT...WHY ARE YOU SO TALENTED....!!!!...I SWEAR TO GOD......tat li l1 min of music with that lil video...it gave me chills....hate to admit this but a feeling of melancholy came over me...almost shed a tear there.....very nicely done....the music went very well with the video...i loved it...savin it to my favs...adn gigin u 5 stars...!!!!...PEAC EOUT

Heh. Thanks, Waz. happy.gif

QUOTE (nealmac @ Mar 13 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tracy, you will be famous one day. No doubt about it. That was magnificent.

Aww, shucks. blush.gif Thank you.

QUOTE (NorthWind @ Mar 13 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
woow this is great stuff Tracy!

ps i duno why but the music reminds me sorta of Travis tongue.gif

Thanks. I've actually never listened to them, but I'll have to check them out now.

#11 spnj

spnj

Acoustic pop wannabe

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Original Name: spnj

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

loved it.
WEBSITE!
IPB Image
Coffee black and egg white.

You're really rather good. - Greame
One of the top five song writers on this forum- Will
Some day I will murder you- Jeff

#12 tml

tml
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Cool, thanks.

And I'll find out what mark I got for it on Thursday. Woo.

#13 tml

tml
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

I just got my mark back right now (I'm in class).

90%. Hah.

#14 mantra

mantra

Spending life trying to cover it up

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Original Name: mantra

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:53 PM

Took long enough ... wink.gif
<-- NEW SONG availible! Check it, yo.

#15 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:34 AM

That's cool, well done... and congrats!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...