* * * * * 1 votes

How to spot a fake EpiphoneIm afraid im no longer telling you!

71 replies to this topic

#1 monkeybutler

monkeybutler
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • Original Name: monkeybutler

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:40 AM

Nothing to see here now. Move along, there you go. Move along now, ya hear?

Edited by monkeybutler, 22 May 2008 - 07:26 AM.

#2 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,138 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

Nice well written piece, and informative for our members!

Nice one!

#3 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,216 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Isn't an Epi LP a fake anyway(of a gibson).

#4 monkeybutler

monkeybutler
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • Original Name: monkeybutler

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Dave C @ Apr 11 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course not. In the same way that Burger King isnt a counterfeit McDonalds. I dont go into Burger King thinking its Maccies, and dont eat a Whopper thinking "This Big Mac just doesnt seem right".

#5 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,914 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (monkeybutler @ Apr 11 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course not. In the same way that Burger King isnt a counterfeit McDonalds. I dont go into Burger King thinking its Maccies, and dont eat a Whopper thinking "This Big Mac just doesnt seem right".

But then Burger King doesn't call its burger "The Burger King Big Mac" and sell it at half the price of a real Big Mac. laugh2.gif
Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

Posted Image
John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#6 kg815

kg815
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Original Name: kg815

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (dadfad @ Apr 11 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (monkeybutler @ Apr 11 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But then Burger King doesn't call its burger "The Burger King Big Mac" and sell it at half the price of a real Big Mac. laugh2.gif

ya i thought that was a really weird analogy to use. interesting read nonetheless

#7 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,104 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

I dunno why anyone would make fake Epiphone guitars to begin with. Most of them are pretty cheap aside from the Elitist series, making copies just seems like a complete waste of time to be honest.

#8 one_who_rocks

one_who_rocks

the kryle

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • Original Name: one_who_rocks

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Apr 11 2008, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dunno why anyone would make fake Epiphone guitars to begin with. Most of them are pretty cheap aside from the Elitist series, making copies just seems like a complete waste of time to be honest.

Because they want money.

#9 kg815

kg815
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (one_who_rocks @ Apr 11 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they want money.

i love this response. A+

#10 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,104 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Because they want money.

You can get an Epi for 200 bucks, I don't see the difference between that and buying a real one for the same price, besides, there is a very small market for Epiphone guitars aside from beginner players and even the ones that people can afford are not amazing to begin with. The only difference really is going to be the quality of the instrument and I have not found very many student model Epiphone guitars to be all that impressive, once you get into the higher end Elitist series, then there would be a good way to make money off copies.

#11 kg815

kg815
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

wat

#12 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,893 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Apr 12 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they want money.

You can get an Epi for 200 bucks, I don't see the difference between that and buying a real one for the same price, besides, there is a very small market for Epiphone guitars aside from beginner players and even the ones that people can afford are not amazing to begin with. The only difference really is going to be the quality of the instrument and I have not found very many student model Epiphone guitars to be all that impressive, once you get into the higher end Elitist series, then there would be a good way to make money off copies.

There you go again, talking about things you don`t have a clue about. There is a huge market out there for Epiphone. Not just for beginners, but for the gigging player. And there are some damn good Epiphones out there to be had. It`s not just the elitist series that you keep banging on about, but also the Custom series are a good guitar to be had. The Korina V is supurb bit of kit, as is the Explorer Korina. As for the Black Beauty, well that is the flagship of their solid bodys.The LP Standard is also a very good buy for the price. Infact i would say that the Majority of Epiphones are good for not just the beginner, but also for the working guitarist. The only guitars that really do let the side down are the Specials, the G310 SG, the Studio, the Dot, and the horrible horrible Emily the Strange SG, with it`s unfinished frets, and thick neck. Do your research, and experiance what you talk about, before you start talking about it.

#13 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Apr 11 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they want money.

Geez read what you write

You talked about some high end Epiphone LP for a few months before you moved onto something new. It must be crappy

Do you any experience with Epiphone guitars? Clearly not. They make some fine hollow body guitars and their Masterbuilt series is amazing.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#14 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,216 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Apr 11 2008, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, if you want to rip somone off, and make some money, surely you'd be better off faking a gibson LP or similar.

#15 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (Dave C @ Apr 12 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, if you want to rip somone off, and make some money, surely you'd be better off faking a gibson LP or similar.

because there is a larger marjet of people that can afford Epis over Gibsons.

#16 Gomez36

Gomez36

It's been a while

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Original Name: Gomez36

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 12 2008, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they want money.

There you go again, talking about things you don`t have a clue about. There is a huge market out there for Epiphone. Not just for beginners, but for the gigging player. And there are some damn good Epiphones out there to be had. It`s not just the elitist series that you keep banging on about, but also the Custom series are a good guitar to be had. The Korina V is supurb bit of kit, as is the Explorer Korina. As for the Black Beauty, well that is the flagship of their solid bodys.The LP Standard is also a very good buy for the price. Infact i would say that the Majority of Epiphones are good for not just the beginner, but also for the working guitarist. The only guitars that really do let the side down are the Specials, the G310 SG, the Studio, the Dot, and the horrible horrible Emily the Strange SG, with it`s unfinished frets, and thick neck. Do your research, and experiance what you talk about, before you start talking about it.

I agree, i own a left handed epiphone les paul standard and the quality for the price is very good. I must admit i did try out an epi les paul special when i wanted to have a go on an amp [only guitar they had that was left handed...] and it was appauling, had sharp frets and a poor neck join. The price differences in the epi range are definetly justified. How much were they selling those copies for?

#17 caprico

caprico
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Original Name: caprico

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 11 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they want money.

i second that... i own a limited edition custom shop.. and its a fine fine guitar.. i have no complaints whatsoever..

anyway i think the fake guitars can be made out by the mother of pearl inlays.. the fake ones look plain white.. in the pictures that are posted.

wtf is that noise?

youtube.com/user/caprico82

#18 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (frankyz84 @ Apr 11 2008, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because they want money.

I dunno, I have played a few Epi LP Standards and some of their Custom guitars as well and some of the few that I actually liked playing were the Les Paul Standard Plus and the LP Ultra-II which were pretty nice guitars to be honest. I just found some of them to not be all that great, the frets were sharp, the action was fairly high and the intonation was off in places. Mind you I am not expecting guitars to be 100% perfect right off the shelf, but the ones I have played would require a complete setup and fret dressing in order to play well, but I am also fairly picky about a guitars neck and how it feels off the shelf. I really like the Tony Iommi SG though, that is by far one of the nicer Epiphone guitars I have played next to the Goldtop Les Pauls.

#19 adds

adds
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,992 posts
  • Original Name: adds

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (ninjato @ Apr 12 2008, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dave C @ Apr 12 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

because there is a larger marjet of people that can afford Epis over Gibsons.

Its not only that its also the fact that its best not to fake anything too good. Someone spending a few grand is more likely to look a bit closer and do there research. People expect people to forge the finer things. But they often dont think about people forgeing the not so good things. So by forgeing a not so good guitar the buyer is less likely to even contemple it being a fake. When forgeing anything its always wise not to forge something thats too good. Its the same when stealing something. if for exaple you robbed an art gallery and you have a piccaso on one wall worth a million or a painting by a lesser known artist worth 10 grand you really are better off takeing the 10 grand one. Its not too good to sell.

#20 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Apr 12 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dunno, I have played a few Epi LP Standards and some of their Custom guitars as well and some of the few that I actually liked playing were the Les Paul Standard Plus and the LP Ultra-II which were pretty nice guitars to be honest. I just found some of them to not be all that great, the frets were sharp, the action was fairly high and the intonation was off in places. Mind you I am not expecting guitars to be 100% perfect right off the shelf, but the ones I have played would require a complete setup and fret dressing in order to play well, but I am also fairly picky about a guitars neck and how it feels off the shelf. I really like the Tony Iommi SG though, that is by far one of the nicer Epiphone guitars I have played next to the Goldtop Les Pauls.

I get that done on every guitar I buy. Necks can be adjusted. rolleyes.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...