To stop so much of the spammers

52 replies to this topic

#1 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts
  • Original Name: guru of rock n roll

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

Why don't he have a rule you need to post at least 50 posts to start a topic? or at least approval before starting a topic until 50 posts are reached.
It would stop a lot of this
http://www.guitarzon...p;#entry3061684

I don't if it's right but but I thought I'd through my 2 cents in.

Edited by guru of rock n roll, 19 August 2008 - 12:52 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:23 PM

The problem is, some people who aren't a member of the forum might want to make an account in the hope of asking a genuine guitar related question about a problem they might be having, only to find out that they can't.

Even if it were to be changed, 50 posts is a bit harsh.

#3 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Aug 19 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem is, some people who aren't a member of the forum might want to make an account in the hope of asking a genuine guitar related question about a problem they might be having, only to find out that they can't.

Even if it were to be changed, 50 posts is a bit harsh.

Or approval before it is posted until 50 post's are reached.
Posted Image

#4 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

I don't know. I still think it's bad for business. Genuine Newbies don't like that sort of thing. Then of course, there's also the issue that all mods would need to be on duty in order to look after new threads in their respective forums. And let's face it. They have enough trouble cleaning up the spam we already get, let alone give them more work.

I think a better solution is to get rid of half of the mods we already have, ie the ones who can't be arsed, and replace them with new ones, who will gladly do the job. Some of those guys haven't been online in 6 months.

#5 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

Maybe just the parts of the forums that aren't used that much.
Posted Image

#6 chasyd

chasyd

tries..

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • Original Name: chasyd69

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:18 AM

There are a lot of people who join just to request tabs and as neal said join to ask serious guitar related questions. Although in Discussion and Website Help and Feedback the post count thing would be a benefit as it would stop all the alts/multis. I also feel it would be a benefit to the Songwriting forum where people tend to join, post a few songs and never critique others or often even reply to their own.

#7 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:17 AM

I agree with Neal about getting some new mods. There are those who are active but they rarely post or are only active in their own forums and you don't see them because they are on for a short period of time or are hidden. I have said it before that I would not mind modding a few of the low key forums.

Angusyoungfan - has not been seen since August 15th 2006, two years without him here as a mod, time for a change there.
Blizzardofoz is sometimes around, last seen in January but he is not always active.
Folkgirl has not been here since December of 2004, you seriously can't tell me she should still be a mod.
Gashed has not been here in just over a year
gyr84me is sometimes around, but not a lot.
Taffaroo has not been around in about a year either.

So we got 6 mods we can unload and replace with a few who actually don't mind doing it.

I would not mind seeing the tab forums merged into one section or making it one with subsections like the header being The Tablature Forum and the sub forums are General Tab Discussion, Tab Requests, Guitar Pro/Powertab Discussion sorts of things, it makes the index page a little smaller and I am pretty sure we could get rid of the Other Instruments forum which almost never gets posted in, I am all for doing away with it to be honest. Could possibly make two subforums of Guitar Q & A as well, Acoustic Guitar and Electric Guitar being the two and rename Guitar Q & A to General Guitar Discussion or something like that. You also avoid getting people posting effects and amp questions in that forum and instead could move the effects forum up underneath Bass Q & A. Having a couple of less forums on the index page to look after would be easier, it organizes things a bit as well and you don't need twice as many mods covering all of the forums.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 20 August 2008 - 07:24 AM.

#8 guru of rock n roll

guru of rock n roll
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Aug 20 2008, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would not mind seeing the tab forums merged into one section or making it one with subsections like the header being The Tablature Forum and the sub forums are General Tab Discussion, Tab Requests, Guitar Pro/Powertab Discussion sorts of things, it makes the index page a little smaller and I am pretty sure we could get rid of the Other Instruments forum which almost never gets posted in, I am all for doing away with it to be honest. Could possibly make two subforums of Guitar Q & A as well, Acoustic Guitar and Electric Guitar being the two and rename Guitar Q & A to General Guitar Discussion or something like that. You also avoid getting people posting effects and amp questions in that forum and instead could move the effects forum up underneath Bass Q & A. Having a couple of less forums on the index page to look after would be easier, it organizes things a bit as well and you don't need twice as many mods covering all of the forums.

I like that. What about it Rob?
Posted Image

#9 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

There is more that could be expanded on. I know tabs and lessons are two different forums but I would love to see song lessons merged into a forum that makes a bit more sense. I think Rob should consider an overhaul of the forums to make things a little bit easier. Here is how I would do it:

General Guitar Discussion - This forum would have 3 individual subforums, Acoustic Guitars, Electric Guitars and Technical Support (for things like setups, pickups and various guitar related things that don't have to do with playing). While this may be a bit more annoying to moderate, it puts things into perspectives from a topic standpoint and makes it a little bit more appealing for those who may want to hang out more discussing certain things and not have to worry about the other topics

Bass Guitar Discussion - Keep it the way it is, there is really no reason to change it because there are not a lot of people who use it.

Lessons and Tablature - Again there could be multiple subforums, one I would use would be a User to Student Lessons forum where songs could be submitted to the tab reviewers by the members of this site and we can count them as being lessons and obviously interpretations to avoid legal aspects, maybe make this forum limited to regular members with over 50 posts and block it out until people meet that requirement, it also would regulate the influx of lessons as well so that the review queue would not get flooded. We would also have to rename the Tab Reviewers to Lesson Reviewer or something like that. It could work so long as it is deemed to be lessons and not a method of providing tabs to everyone and it would be safer actually since we would not have to worry about having a massive database of tabs. Taking all the Wikipage, G-T-University and Lesson Discussion stuff and putting it all into one forum that is operated by the reviewers and it gives us control of how much content goes in and what is appropriate would be so much nicer. Right now all that stuff is clustered and confusing, we need to make it more user friendly.

All the other forums can stay the way they are, I just think we need to condense a lot of the tab related stuff into a forum that is controlled by the mods and tab reviewers and use that as a way of projecting lessons to all the users of this site. There should be no requests taken though, just submissions which could lead to a form much like the gear page only it gets sent to one of the tab reviewers.

Personally I would eliminate the Bands page as it is useless and rarely does anyone ever use it, same goes for the Personal Webpage. To prevent the spammers, registration should require the most up to date Javascript validation in order to get in, cause I hate to say it but it takes about a minute to register and most of the other forums of a similar design to this use the most current Javascript and there is no scammer issues.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 20 August 2008 - 01:41 PM.

#10 kurtlives

kurtlives

Pedal Builder & Amp Builder

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts
  • Original Name: kurtlives

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

Make a "Test" forum...

Make 2 or so posts there... they don't have to be more than "hi" or "...."

A legitimate poster would have no trouble doing that and could be asking questions about Iron Man and Stairway to Heaven just as quick as before.
Let the pretend take over
And that season be the first
Shadows we're in become us
So we set up interspersed
Between here and away
Become your space every day

Check out my New DIY Site! (work in progress)

#11 improviduto

improviduto
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,447 posts
  • Original Name: improviduto

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

It's a nice idea, but I don't think it will fly...at least not in any of the technical forums.
Fender Telecaster player

#12 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:36 AM

Who the hell uses test forums? Unless you're a genuine newbie, then maybe so, but a spammer? Come off it.

#13 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts
  • Original Name: halfmoonbay

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

^^ Hmm, whilst no-one likes spammers I don't think we should be doing anything that makes it less user-friendly for people to come on here and get guitar-related help.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#14 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:56 AM

Assuming that's directed at me, (the arrows at the start of your post) read my first post in this thread.

#15 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:01 AM

It was intended to support to what you'd said rather than argue against it.
The Modulator
"I admire HMB's ability to waffle around the issue all day long without giving an opinion either way." - Richey

#16 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:23 AM

My mistake. The "hmm" made me think otherwise.

#17 halfmoonbay

halfmoonbay

HMB

• Ombudsman
  • 32,492 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (nealmac @ Aug 25 2008, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My mistake. The "hmm" made me think otherwise.

I tend to think aloud a lot. Hence the 'Hmm'-ing. smile.gif
The Modulator

#18 Captain_Trips

Captain_Trips

it was fun, while it lasted

• Validating
  • 24,000 posts
  • Original Name: Captain_Trips

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

I think you should need at least 15,000 before that . . . . but thats just me.
Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shine
Come to Daddy on an inside straight
I got no chance of losing this time
No, I got no chance of losing this time

#19 chasyd

chasyd

tries..

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • Original Name: chasyd69

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:41 PM

Well iv noticed at least 5 lots of spam on the last 24 hours so i think it may help to have a quota of sorts to hit before you can start a topic.

Edited by chasyd69, 29 August 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#20 Captain_Trips

Captain_Trips

it was fun, while it lasted

• Validating
  • 24,000 posts
  • Original Name: Captain_Trips

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (AcousticSmash @ Aug 20 2008, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Neal about getting some new mods. There are those who are active but they rarely post or are only active in their own forums and you don't see them because they are on for a short period of time or are hidden. I have said it before that I would not mind modding a few of the low key forums.

Angusyoungfan - has not been seen since August 15th 2006, two years without him here as a mod, time for a change there.
Blizzardofoz is sometimes around, last seen in January but he is not always active.
Folkgirl has not been here since December of 2004, you seriously can't tell me she should still be a mod.
Gashed has not been here in just over a year
gyr84me is sometimes around, but not a lot.
Taffaroo has not been around in about a year either.

So we got 6 mods we can unload and replace with a few who actually don't mind doing it.

Not according to the Mods . . . . they think they're doing a great job. And they fully support the inactive mods. Go ahead, just ask them. They'll tell you.
Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine
I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shine
Come to Daddy on an inside straight
I got no chance of losing this time
No, I got no chance of losing this time

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...