42 replies to this topic

#1 eulogy

eulogy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,532 posts
  • Original Name: eulogy

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

About two years ago I posted a thread asking people to recommend me Bob Dylan albums. The past two years have been pretty damn terrible. So forget about Dylan albums, recommend me some decent whisk(e)ys to check out. If your idea of great whisk(e)y is Jack Daniel's or Johnny Walker Red Label, then you needn't bother posting. There's plenty of other "wtf omg im so drunk on bacardi breezer" topics for you to post in.

I'd especially like some recommendations for decent Irish whiskey. Again, if your idea of "great whiskey" is regular blended Jameson, don't bother. I've fairly recently discovered some great Scottish single malts, and seeing as how I work with three Irish MDs as well as having been to Ireland twice but never having visited Scotland, I'd like to discover the Irish equivalent to these Scotches. I'm not completely opposed to blends, but I do very much prefer the single malts. To give you an idea of my preference: in the single malt category, I tend to stick pretty closely to the Islays, and I generally prefer a pretty strong flavour, e.g. Laproaig- and Lagavulin-style whiskys. Having said that, the best scotch I ever had was not an Islay, but was a Dalmore.

As far as Japanese & Canadian whisky and American whiskey goes (and for the love of god, would you anglophones agree on a single spelling already?), I like some Japanese whisky, but they all taste like middle-class blends to me; I've never had any Canadian whisky; and I don't like bourbon. That is, I've never had any decent bourbon: my experiences with bourbon are limited to the cheaper varieties of Four Roses and Jim Beam, neither of which I was especially fond of. That's an euphemism for saying that I strongly disliked both of them.

So. Nothing much left to say. Recommend me some decent whisk(e)y.
Posted Image

#2 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,705 posts
  • Original Name: GilmourIsGod

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

For Gods Sake, stay away from Canadian whiskey.

Also, I've never gone wrong with Glenfiddich.

#3 Evil Midnight Bomber

Evil Midnight Bomber

what bombs at Midnight.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,281 posts
  • Original Name: Major_Major_

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

let me get this straight...you start off by saying you hated the last time we gave you advice then move on to limit the suggestions we're supposedly allowed to give you this time? What's my motivation here?
Posted Image
A man goes to the doctor. Says he's depressed. He says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. The doctor says "The treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him, that should pick you up." The man bursts into tears. He says "But doctor... I am Pagliacci."

#4 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,060 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:59 PM

I'm a fan of Laphroaig. I'm not a big whiskey-drinker, preferring connoisseur-grade moonshine and even able to drink Ten High or Old Crow in a pinch, but when I buy whiskey I buy Laphroaig.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#5 eulogy

eulogy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,532 posts
  • Original Name: eulogy

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Major_Major_ @ Jun 10 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
let me get this straight...you start off by saying you hated the last time we gave you advice then move on to limit the suggestions we're supposedly allowed to give you this time? What's my motivation here?

My first sentence had absolutely nothing to do with my second sentence. I liked the Dylan suggestions just fine, it's just the past two years have been a bit of a bumpy ride.

As for your motivation: damnit man, it's your goddamn duty as a man to help another man drown his sorrows.

GiG: Glenfiddich is pretty good indeed, but doesn't hold a candle (is that even the right English expression?) to some of the lesser-known single malts. I'll give you this though: the one advantage Glenfiddich has, is that it's one of the few single malts that is easily available in regular bars.
Posted Image

#6 jumping_jack_splash

jumping_jack_splash
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts
  • Original Name: jumping_jack_splash

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hey man. Having no money I've yet to experience a particularly fine Irish whiskey. You may want to try Bushmills 10/16/21 year or Bushmills Black Bush, the former pretty common and affordable yet not too bad.

EDIT: Having researched further I believe Black Bush is a blend. Sorry.

Edited by jumping_jack_splash, 10 June 2009 - 02:17 PM.

We're all going to be just dirt in the ground.

#7 Blugh Grant

Blugh Grant

Played by Adrien Brody

• 46,570 posts
  • Original Name: blueswannabe

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

glenlivet. yeah i know it's scottish. f*ck you rob roy.
Posted Image

there seems to be an objective reality that a determined individual can penetrate if he is willing to challenge the confining chimeras of markets and machines

It was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice

http://theonlythingy...d.blogspot.com/

#8 Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Vulpes lagopus

• 36,581 posts
  • Original Name: Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

You can't go far wrong with Bushmills.

#9 zooloo

zooloo

Da-Da-Da

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Original Name: zooloo

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

Currently I have a bottle of Talisker which I don't think I'd want again. It's quite distinctive especially the after-taste, but not my cup of tea really.

J&B Rare was alright IRC - quite cheap too.

Irish... dunno.
Life is like a musical by Andrew Lloyd-Webber. Very popular and not as bad as some would have you believe. That is, unspeakably awful but mercifully brief.

#10 rabid_fox

rabid_fox

Turn around

• GZ Regular
  • 40,883 posts
  • Original Name: rabid_fox

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

Coleraine Jamesons Blends 210
Posted Image
Looks grim right now.

#11 rabid_fox

rabid_fox

Turn around

• GZ Regular
  • 40,883 posts
  • Original Name: rabid_fox

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

In seriousness:

Bushmills 10 year single malt.
Posted Image
Looks grim right now.

#12 Dennoire

Dennoire
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Original Name: Dennoire

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

Whats your budget man?

American id go Makers Mark, Wild Turkey, Elijah Craig, if you can afford it, Basil Haydens.

Scotch id go Glenfiddich, or if you can afford it, Glenmorangie, Glenkinchie, or Top shelf Glenfiddich...

Irish Ive only had regular Jameson, an Tullamore Dew which was ok.

Canadian, all Ive had is Canadian Club, eh its ok.

No real experience with Asian whiskey, I had a bottle that had cool samurai armor on it but I don't remember what it was called. Was ok.

I think the Americans got it right with bourbon, its my pick out of all the whiskeys. Cant beat a good bourbon.

#13 gravity

gravity
  • GZ Regular
  • 32,387 posts
  • Original Name: gravity

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:47 AM

Oh Dear. I need to save this thread.

If you are fond of Lagavulin & Laphroiag then you should probably check out Ardbeg, Caol Isla or Bruichladich. Bunnahabain is also Islay but its kind of alien to the region in that it feels much more like a Speyside.

In general i would stay away from the common names like Macallen, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie and Glenfiddoch. Infact an old freind of mine once told me to stay away from anything with glen in the name. Although I largely concur there are some exceptions such as glenfarclas and glendronach.

Other interesting ones that are always worth a drop are Edradour, Talisker and Craggenmore (the speyside that the whisky drinker takes instead of Macallen).
BOOM

#14 Cap'n Haggis

Cap'n Haggis

Official GTU Beer Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,027 posts
  • Original Name: haggis

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (gravity @ Jun 11 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh Dear. I need to save this thread.

If you are fond of Lagavulin & Laphroiag then you should probably check out Ardbeg, Caol Isla or Bruichladich. Bunnahabain is also Islay but its kind of alien to the region in that it feels much more like a Speyside.

In general i would stay away from the common names like Macallen, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie and Glenfiddoch. Infact an old freind of mine once told me to stay away from anything with glen in the name. Although I largely concur there are some exceptions such as glenfarclas and glendronach.

Other interesting ones that are always worth a drop are Edradour, Talisker and Craggenmore (the speyside that the whisky drinker takes instead of Macallen).

I (kinda) remember my malt-loving mate giving me Glenfarclas 101 once...wheeeeee!! laugh.gif

Highland Park isnae bad.....

Posted Image

#15 skitso

skitso

Andrew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,730 posts
  • Original Name: skitso

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (gravity @ Jun 11 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've said pretty much everything I would have so I'll have to just give this the ol' "+1".

Also, Talisker is a favorite.

skank.jpg

#16 Dennoire

Dennoire
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Original Name: Dennoire

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

I dunno what its like where you guys are from, but in Australia you can get the standard 12 year Glenfiddich for about $40, up to the 30 year (Solera reserve?) for $300ish. Glenmorangie, Glenkinchie are rarish and go for about $90-$100. I haven't even heard of let alone taste a few of the others mentioned, but these appear to be premium level whiskies. To compare with bourbon, Jim beam is $35ish, Jack is $45ish. We get taxed hard.

The common names do have good premium tier whiskey.

#17 BuckinghamFan

BuckinghamFan
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,544 posts
  • Original Name: buckinghamfan

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

This stuff is ALWAYS amazing...

#18 wooooogiecrisp

wooooogiecrisp

breakfast of schmucks

• Ombudsman
  • 73,972 posts
  • Original Name: woggie

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

tasty stuff there

edit
edit
edit

goddamnit nate

Edited by woggie, 11 June 2009 - 06:28 PM.

Follow @McWoggie to the gates of Hell. We're gonna ding-dong ditch them!

#19 BuckinghamFan

BuckinghamFan
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,544 posts
  • Original Name: buckinghamfan

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

Jaysus...you serious?

#20 wooooogiecrisp

wooooogiecrisp

breakfast of schmucks

• Ombudsman
  • 73,972 posts
  • Original Name: woggie

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

yup. tasty with a splash of water and a couple ice cubes. if i feel gay i put some lemon zest in it.

Follow @McWoggie to the gates of Hell. We're gonna ding-dong ditch them!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...