- - - - -

Wanting to learn to play the piano, have a few questions

5 replies to this topic

#1 N1tram

N1tram
  • 8 posts
  • Original Name: N1tram

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hey guys, I know there are a few posts about learning the pianio here, but I have a few questions of my own.

Basically, I know nothing about music beyond reading tabs to play the guitar. I want to learn to read sheet music, and I always wanted to play the pianio. The two seem to go so well together that I may as well do both. I don't ever plan on being super awesome at it, or to play for crowds. All I want is to play the piano for personal enjoyment. Learning video game music would be my main interest here, which is usually midi music. I also like certain classical songs like turkish march, though I imagine that one would be fairly advanced.

Anyways, based on what I have said, I was wondering if a Yamaha Psr-e323 would be enough for my needs. Like I said, I don't know a whole lot, and I don't want to spend too much money until I know if I am going to take it further or not. One thing that worries me about the model is that on the yamaha website it says it is "organ style". Now I don't really know what this means.

I just want something that will be close enough to the real thing that if I do get on a real pianio I will be able to play it (full sized keys etc etc)

Thanks for the help

Edited by N1tram, 04 August 2009 - 01:09 PM.

#2 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,060 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:17 AM

Most modern keyboards have a pretty wide variety of sounds, including piano. Some of the cheaper ones try to make it so simple that they'll chord simply by pressing a single key, which is a hassle if you're really trying to learn anything close to real piano.

I'm a very mediocre (as in fairly poor laugh.gif ) piano player. I had some lessons when I was a little kid, which I totally forgot by the time I started trying to play a little piano again more than thirty years later. You can of course take lessons, and if you want to be a "real piano-player" that's probably the best way to go. But if you just want to be able to play a little piano, maybe as a change-up at a gig on a few tunes, or simple recording purposes, etc... no "master" but able to fumble and fake your way through a few things and sound pretty decent as you do, there are lots of good instructional videos around, from very basic to pretty advanced in specific genres. (Homespuntapes.com has some.) That might be the way to go. Just depends on what you want.

As far as that Psr-e323 keyboard, I'm not familiar with it. I'd suggest that (wherever you actually buy it from) you go into a music store like Guitar Center or whatever and try it and a few others out first. You can even ask a sales-guy for help maybe. There's usually someone there who can play good enough to be able to show you what a particular keyboard is capable of doing and how it sounds.

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#3 D.Unfip

D.Unfip
  • 8 posts
  • Original Name: D.Unfip

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

i used to play piano, for five or so years until i stopped. The teacher kind of put me off it. But now i regret giving it up, i know a few songs with a piano in it that i wish i could play. But eh.

#4 ninjato

ninjato
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,810 posts
  • Original Name: ninjato

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:25 AM

QUOTE (N1tram @ Aug 4 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also like certain classical songs like turkish march, though I imagine that one would be fairly advanced.

LOL.. I played classical piano for 9 years. I learned Turkish March after 4 years of piano..it is not a beginner tune. It's one of the few tunes I can still remember how to play on the piano. Fur Elise, Blue Danube and a Waltz by Mozart.

#5 josh beetler

josh beetler
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: josh beetler

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

I started learning video game music after I learned all of the notes on the guitar.

I transferred what I knew on guitar to the piano and it worked beautifully.

It takes time to get the coordination down.

Try learning simple chord exercises with one hand at a time, then do them with both hands.

Learn basic melodies with basic chords so you can get the coordination down.

It's a different beast than guitar but it's a beautiful beast once you get it singing.

#6 GibsonGirl

GibsonGirl
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: GibsonGirl

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

If you are wanting to learn how to read sheet music piano is a great place to start. I would say it's the best instrument to learn on. I learned piano before switching to guitar and it made it so much easier for me, so you should be good. Yamahas are perfect for starting out, it's what I started on as well. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...