rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Continually
  • Original Name: rbalch

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

Welcome to the GuitarZone.com Forums,

Here is the authoritative list of how permissions work for members of the GZ community:
(I will edit this post as changes are made)

If you are just visiting the website and have not logged in, you will treated as a "Guest"
  • You will be able to read topics and messages.
  • You will NOT be able to create topics or post messages.

When you first sign up, you will be asked to confirm your e-mail address by clicking a link sent to your e-mail address. Until you click that link, you have limited abilities on the forums. You will be treated as a "Validating Member"
  • You will be able to read topics and messages.
  • You will NOT be able to create topics or post messages.
  • You will NOT be able to edit your profile information.

After you confirm your e-mail address, you will be treated as a "Member"
  • You will be able to create topics and post messages BUT you will be limited to making 20 posts/day for your first 2 days
  • You will be able to edit your profile information BUT you will not be able to edit your signature until you have made 10 posts
  • You will be able to send private message BUT you will be limited to sending 1 PM/5 minutes and 10 PMs/day
  • You will be able to vote in polls and rate topics.
  • You will have 5 positive and 2 negative reputation points to give per day.

After you have made either 1000 posts on the forums or been personally approved for promotion (just ask me!), you will become a "GZ Regular"
  • You will have all of the abilities of a "Member" with some improvements.
  • You will not have limits on message posting.
  • You will not have limits on signature editing.
  • You will not have limits on PM use.
  • You will have 20 positive and 5 negative reputation points to give per day.
  • You will be able to bypass the censor filter (since you already do it anyways).
  • You will be able to open and close your OWN topics.

If you are picked to become a "Moderator", you will be given special responsibilities
  • You will have all of the abilities of a "GZ Regular" with some improvements.
  • You will be able to edit and delete any posts or topics within the scope of your moderation job.
  • You will have 100 positive and 100 negative reputation points to give per day.

Finally, several "Ombudsmen" exist that can act as a "Moderator" across all forums.

Thanks, :guitar:
Rob (the "Admin")

Please reply with any questions or suggestions...

Edited by rbalch, 13 April 2010 - 09:40 AM.
Reduced number of negative rep points allowed in 24 hour period for members and GZ regulars

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

#2 wooooogiecrisp

wooooogiecrisp

breakfast of schmucks

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,972 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: woggie

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Rob.

I promise to use my new permissions responsibly.

Edited by rbalch, 16 February 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Follow @McWoggie to the gates of Hell. We're gonna ding-dong ditch them!

#3 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

The "recent status updates" on the forum index page seems to attract the spambots because members are actually able to edit their profile information with 0 posts.

#4 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:55 AM

The "recent status updates" on the forum index page seems to attract the spambots because members are actually able to edit their profile information with 0 posts.

There are some ways I can make registration more difficult for spambots but that will not eliminate the spambots who already have accounts. I will look for a 'min few posts requirement before editing your profile' but I'm not sure that's the right way to get rid of the problem. If spambots use the status updates isn't it really easy to identify them? There is also a new flag as spammer link on each member's profile.

Rob
"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

#5 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

There are some ways I can make registration more difficult for spambots but that will not eliminate the spambots who already have accounts. I will look for a 'min few posts requirement before editing your profile' but I'm not sure that's the right way to get rid of the problem. If spambots use the status updates isn't it really easy to identify them? There is also a new flag as spammer link on each member's profile.

Rob

Before we just had to delete their spam and it was over. Now if they're going to use that new space we have to edit their profile information. So its a matter of editing the spam instead of deleting. I've flagged this member as spammer since I've noticed that feature: http://www.guitarzon...showuser=390638

Maybe one solution would be just to allow less characters for the updates? I dont know.

#6 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

Lock out the status update box to anyone who isn't a GZ Regular, that will solve things. And set limits on how many posts new registrants can make per hour, since it seems that most of the spam this site gets happens in the span of about 10 minutes where all forums get the same topic, so maybe limit it to 5 posts per 10 minutes for new members and make it easier on the mods. I have seen a number of forums that limit how much you post as a new member.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 17 February 2010 - 07:40 AM.

#7 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts
  • Original Name: springwaffle

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

1000 posts makes you a "regular"? What does that make us with tens of thousands then?

Edited by rbalch, 17 February 2010 - 12:08 PM.

#8 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:08 PM

1000 posts makes you a "regular"? What the ### does that make us with tens of thousands then?

what do you want to be? and don't swear outside of discussion

#9 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:20 PM

Lock out the status update box to anyone who isn't a GZ Regular, that will solve things. And set limits on how many posts new registrants can make per hour, since it seems that most of the spam this site gets happens in the span of about 10 minutes where all forums get the same topic, so maybe limit it to 5 posts per 10 minutes for new members and make it easier on the mods. I have seen a number of forums that limit how much you post as a new member.

There needs to be a balance between anti-spam efforts and welcoming new users. New users should be able to use all the features, but rate limiting sounds fine. I have just added that new users will be able to make 20 posts per 24 hours for the first 2 days since sign up. How about that?

#10 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts
  • Original Name: springwaffle

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

1000 posts makes you a "regular"? What the ### does that make us with tens of thousands then?

what do you want to be? and don't swear outside of discussion

Green.

But also there should be more colors for like 10,000, 25,000, 50,000 or something.

#11 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

There needs to be a balance between anti-spam efforts and welcoming new users. New users should be able to use all the features, but rate limiting sounds fine. I have just added that new users will be able to make 20 posts per 24 hours for the first 2 days since sign up. How about that?

I have been around this site for 6 years and the number of new registrants has been at a low for the last 2 or 3 years, new members never return after making a few posts because either they just sign up to request a tab made/located or the spammers just flood their threads with nonsense and it sends new people packing quickly because they don't like to deal with the idiocy. Your best bet would be to limit the number of threads created by new members to 5 within an hour and keep the number of posts for new members unlimited, spammers are just automated by programs like XRumer (which I mentioned in another thread here last week before the upgrades) and they rarely post in already made topics. I would also suggest removing hyper linking in signatures for non regular members since I have noticed that the ones who do reply in other threads tend to put in some nonsense and the advert is in their signature. Pretty useless to try and deploy links to your site when you don't have permission to do so.

That is all I can think of

#12 soulcracker

soulcracker

The Spam King. If you have a problem with this title, talk to H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,879 posts
  • Original Name: soulcracker

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

Are there any repercussions for having a really low reputation? I think it'd be kind of fun to get down to the negatives.
user posted image

Chris, you're 'teh Sex' have this paw of approval.

-Teh Fox

#13 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

Are there any repercussions for having a really low reputation? I think it'd be kind of fun to get down to the negatives.

People maybe won't believe you. But I think the website software will NOT treat you worse.

Edited by rbalch, 19 February 2010 - 12:16 PM.
the second part had a double negative. I mean to say the software will not do anything to you

#14 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

I've just added, for "Members"

• You will be able to edit your profile information BUT you will not be able to edit your signature until you have made 10 posts (anti-spam measure)

#15 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Don't mention it as an anti-spam measure though.

#16 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

I don't want it to sound too arbitrary.

#17 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

Is it possible to stop people giving themselves a +1 reputation? That's a bit pointless.

#18 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

Is it possible to stop people giving themselves a +1 reputation? That's a bit pointless.

I did stop it... an hour or so ago. It was strange that it defaulted to allow self-rating.

I don't want it to sound too arbitrary.

I just took all 3 "anti-spam measure" notes off. It was a bit redundant. Thanks for the idea.

#19 harrumphicus

harrumphicus

Shithead Extraordinair

• GZ Regular
  • 19,107 posts
  • Original Name: harrumph

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

Reputations should be forum-specific. IE a separate rating for Guitar Q&A than from Bass Q&A than from Songwriting than from Discussion etc.

An asshole and a scholar, from my gentleman to my collar.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...