#1 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Continually
  • Original Name: rbalch

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Use this forum to share lessons for guitar, bass, stringed instruments, arrangements from piano, etc. All lessons must be of acceptable quality or they will removed. Also, as long as the lesson is your own work or you have permission from the author to share it, it will be accepted. Please message me if you believe your work has been reproduced here without your permission and you wish to have it removed.

You may embed YouTube videos into posts here. Click the far right icon on the second menu line of the edit window. It looks like three photos in a stack (blue, purple, and green). Then copy and paste the entire address from YouTube and click "Insert Media". The shorthand is to type "[ media ] http://www.youtube.com/watch... [ /media ]" without the spaces inside the brackets.

Don't forget to click the "other styles" menu (at the top left) and then "tab" (at the bottom of the list) to ensure that the proper spacing of your tab will be preserved in the post. The shorthand is to type "[ tab ]------0-----2-----3[ /tab ]" without the spaces in the brackets.

Cheers, :guitar:
Rob

Edited by rbalch, 08 April 2010 - 01:37 PM.

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

#2 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

For now, only members with at least 10 posts can view this forum. I'll keep it that way until it gets going.

Also, we need some mods. Who will help?
"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

#3 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,685 posts
  • Original Name: GilmourIsGod

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

I will help. :)

As long as... you have the permission of the author, it will be allowed.

That's quite a line to throw in there.

#4 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

I will help. :)

As long as... you have the permission of the author, it will be allowed.

That's quite a line to throw in there.

I will edit it. It must also be of acceptable quality.

#5 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• 64,685 posts
  • Original Name: GilmourIsGod

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

Well, that too, but mostly I just meant.. If we want to give a video lesson on say, Wish You Were Here, for example... we would have to get permission from Waters and Gilmour before we did?

#6 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Well, that too, but mostly I just meant.. If we want to give a video lesson on say, Wish You Were Here, for example... we would have to get permission from Waters and Gilmour before we did?

Videos that are available on YouTube can be linked without permission (unless they are "private" or embedding is disabled, but then they would not show up anyways). I will remove any that the authors object to.
If you MAKE a video, YOU are the author of the video.
If you MAKE a tab, YOU are the author of the tab.

#7 wafffle

wafffle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,580 posts
  • Original Name: springwaffle

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

Sounds good. I'll try to find some of my old tabs and submit them.

#8 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

I just clarified above

#9 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Wait. So on FGTU we would put the band name as the topic name and the song as the subtitle name or whatever. This makes it much easier to find what you're looking for.

Maybe you could make this a rule before we get lots of submissions.

EDIT: Also, this only worked because the forum topics were sorted by name instead of last post. I don't know if that's possible here or not but it's worth a try.

Edited by springwaffle, 08 April 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#10 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

Wait. So on FGTU we would put the band name as the topic name and the song as the subtitle name or whatever. This makes it much easier to find what you're looking for.

Maybe you could make this a rule before we get lots of submissions.

EDIT: Also, this only worked because the forum topics were sorted by name instead of last post. I don't know if that's possible here or not but it's worth a try.

I've recently optimized the forum for search engines. Notice that addresses here now show the entire topic title. Unfortunately they do not show the 'subtitle or whatever'. With your plan, search engines would not give the song title as much weight as the band name. That's probably not good; I figure most people search for song title more than artist name.

#11 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, that's true. But it would be nice if the submissions were somewhat organized.

#12 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,487 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

I have a few lessons I'll get posted on here in the next day or two.

Also, if you want someone to mod this place, I'm willing and able :)

#13 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, that's true. But it would be nice if the submissions were somewhat organized.

What about using the topic title as follows:
for a song, the title is the name of the song.
for a lesson about a scale or technique, the title is the name of the scale or technique

The second line will be used for the artist name in the case of a song, and miscellaneous info (or blank) in the case of a scale or technique.

#14 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

What about using the topic title as follows:
for a song, the title is the name of the song.
for a lesson about a scale or technique, the title is the name of the scale or technique

The second line will be used for the artist name in the case of a song, and miscellaneous info (or blank) in the case of a scale or technique.

I just mean if you can sort the topics by name, you could do "artist name - song name" in the title and that way everything is organized by artist and then by song. The second line can be used if the song title is too long or for miscellaneous stuff like you said.

If you can't sort the topics by name then you should do like you said and put the song name in the title so it can be found in a search more easily.

#15 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sounds good. I have edited my lessons to fit your format

#16 wooooogiecrisp

wooooogiecrisp

breakfast of schmucks

• Ombudsman
  • 73,972 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: woggie

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:43 AM

I am optimistic about this format because now instead of just a regular tab submission it is possible for other media to be embedded. The only thing I would suggest for better organisation of this forum is a pinned thread with the names and links to all topics here. Might as well do it now before this forum gets huge. That would eliminate tedious scroll searches or use of the forum search function which isn't always 100% accurate. I would be up for keeping that current and accurate if I were made a mod for this area ;)

Follow @McWoggie to the gates of Hell. We're gonna ding-dong ditch them!

#17 Orchestrazia Ardwick

Orchestrazia Ardwick

The most inept that ever stepped

• GZ Regular
  • 63,207 posts
  • Original Name: el_burton

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

I'm up for being a mod, seeing as someone needs to tidy up after Woggie...

Also, I think it would help to get some general guitar and bass lessons written and pinned pronto, as we'll get more search engine traffic for people searching for, say, "finger picking lesson".

cheryl.gif

#18 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

When we get to 50 topics I'll open it up to the public

UPDATE: It's now open

Edited by rbalch, 21 April 2010 - 08:04 AM.

#19 wafffle

wafffle
  • 47,580 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

So I don't know if it's something that can be fixed but the "tab" tag doesn't recognize spaces above and below lines of tab. Example:

[tab]
e-----------0-
b---------0---
g-------1-----
d-----2-------
a---2---------
e-0-----------
^[/tab]

Both the * and ^ are supposed to be in the same column as the 1 like this:

e-----------0-
b---------0---
g-------1-----
d-----2-------
a---2---------
e-0-----------
        ^

#20 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

So I don't know if it's something that can be fixed but the "tab" tag doesn't recognize spaces above and below lines of tab. Example:

[tab]
e-----------0-
b---------0---
g-------1-----
d-----2-------
a---2---------
e-0-----------
^[/tab]

Both the * and ^ are supposed to be in the same column as the 1 like this:

e-----------0-
b---------0---
g-------1-----
d-----2-------
a---2---------
e-0-----------
        ^

fixed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...