Link to moved "Classical and Flamenco Guitar Topics" folder not working . . .

8 replies to this topic

#1 surfwhammy

surfwhammy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Original Name: surfwhammy

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

The link to the "Classical and Flamenco Guitar Topics" folder that was moved from the "Guitar Q & A" section is not working . . .

I found the moved folder in the "GZ Library" under "Lessons", which I suppose is obvious now, but it was not so obvious until I did a bit of scouting-around . . .

There is a lot of excellent information in Prof. Diaz' lessons, and it is helpful to know how to get to them from the "Guitar Q & A" section, so if the link to the moved folder can be fixed, it will be great, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution . . .

#2 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

The Entire Nation of Poland, herself.

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,072 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: jenniferdurst

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

Somehow the thread number got changed. Probably since it was posted before the forum update. Fixed now.

Sweet-ass! 351.5 Major-Points�, 1 Loki Ducat�, 1 Herr Mark, 5 Jackson Quints~
"you, my dear, are fabulous" -Trevor James Hawes
"Note to self. Hide penis." -Gus

#3 surfwhammy

surfwhammy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

Somehow the thread number got changed. Probably since it was posted before the forum update. Fixed now.

I see that the link was moved upward in the "Guitar Q & A" section, but the link to the folder is not working for me (2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro, OS X 10.6.3 [Snow Leopard], Firefox 3.6.3) . . .

This is the error message that is displayed after I click on the link to the folder:

Posted Image

I tried it both ways (signed-in and not-signed-in), and neither way works. It also does not work with the Opera (Version 10.10) and Safari (Version 4.0.5 [6531.22.7]) web browsers . . .

Let me know if you need more information . . .

Thanks!

P. S. I suppose it is possible that the updates you made have not been applied to the host server, yet, but perhaps not . . .
The Surf Whammys

#4 surfwhammy

surfwhammy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:41 AM

It worked a few times after I posted the previous reply, but it is not working now . . .

I exited Firefox, which clears its cache, and when I restarted Firefox, the link did not work . . .

Perhaps it needs to be a different type of URL?

I have no idea . . .

Thanks!

P. S. I tried the link immediately after editing this reply while I continued to be signed-in, and the link to the folder works, so it appears that navigating to the higher level of the forum; then to this section; and soon thereafter to the "Guitar Q & A" section makes the link work, which suggests it is a relative URL behavior (if there is such a thing) . . .

For reference, I have a saved link to the "Guitar Q & A" section, which is where I start, so I will update that link and see if it makes a difference . . .

Edited by surfwhammy, 17 April 2010 - 07:53 AM.

The Surf Whammys

#5 surfwhammy

surfwhammy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:07 AM

I found a sequence that works:

(1) Enter GuitarZone.com by typing the URL in the Firefox address field, but do not sign-in . . .

(2) Navigate directly to the "Guitar Q & A" section by clicking on "Guitar Q & A" . . .

(3) Click on the link to the folder, which generates the error message (see earlier post) . . .

(4) Navigate directly to the FORUM level by clicking on "GuitarZone.com: FORUM" . . .

(5) Sign-in at the FORUM level . . .

(6) Navigate to the "Guitar Q & A" section by clicking on "GuitarZone.com" and then clicking on "Guitar Q & A", while remaining signed-in . . .

(7) Click on the link to the folder, which now works correctly . . .

It almost makes a bit of sense, but I do not know enough about FORUM software to diagnose the problem . . .

My computer programming focus is on iPhone OS application development, and I do the Surf Whammys website with Dreamweaver, which basically requires me to know nearly nothing about website software, but there is a pattern to the link working vs. not working, and I like patterns, because they provide useful clues . . .

Let me know if you need me to do anything . . .

Thanks!

P. S. When the link to the folder is working, which is when I sign-in, if I then sign-out, the link does not work, so it appears to have something to do with the way the URL for the link to the folder is generated dynamically, sign-in vs. not-signed-in, and permissions . . .

I have no idea . . .

Edited by surfwhammy, 17 April 2010 - 08:12 AM.

The Surf Whammys

#6 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

First and foremost, you need to be logged in because the Lessons forum is not yet available to non members.

Next, I can't see what issues you're having because I've tried it in firefox, IE, and chrome as as regular member and an omb, signed in first and not, browser cleared and not....pretty much everything I can think of and I'm not having this issue. I get straight to the thread each time.

I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. Is anybody else having this issue?

#7 surfwhammy

surfwhammy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

First and foremost, you need to be logged in because the Lessons forum is not yet available to non members.

Next, I can't see what issues you're having because I've tried it in firefox, IE, and chrome as as regular member and an omb, signed in first and not, browser cleared and not....pretty much everything I can think of and I'm not having this issue. I get straight to the thread each time.

I'm not sure what to tell you at this point. Is anybody else having this issue?

I was not aware that the Lessons forum was not available to non-members, which explains the problem . . .

It works once I sign-in, which is fabulous!

Fabulous!

SUGGESTION: It might be helpful to include something regarding "Members Only" in the subtitle . . .

(Contributions by Ruben Diaz and others; Available to FORUM members only)

I have no idea . . .

Becoming a GuitarZone FORUM member is easy, so it is not a big deal, really . . .

Thanks for your help!
:)
The Surf Whammys

#8 jenniferdurst

jenniferdurst

• Ombudsman
  • 15,072 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

I believe it will be open to non members once there are quite a few lessons. It's still pretty new so things are still getting worked out.

#9 rbalch

rbalch
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Continually
  • Original Name: rbalch

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

It's open now to all visitors, logged in or not.
"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -Albert Einstein

"I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
(in response to Tipper Gore's allegations that music incites people towards deviant behavior...)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...