5 replies to this topic

#1 spacecrumbs

spacecrumbs
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,261 posts
  • Original Name: spacecrumbs

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

I found I can't watch BBC Iplayer programs in HD without playback being choppy. I installed a newer version of Flash and it helped, but it's still choppy when there's a lot going on.

I don't think my laptop is unable to do HD, this seems to suggest it should do it anyway: http://www.notebookc...00.20493.0.html

I did expect it to be able to play HD okay. Is this just a problem with Iplayer, or Flash? I can watch HD on Youtube fine from what I've tried so far.

Anything I can do to find out either what the problem is or fix it? Do I need to buy some kind of part to upgrade with, if I can do that?

Laptop is this one: http://h10010.www1.h...35-4099877.html

Edited by spacecrumbs, 19 June 2010 - 03:53 PM.

#2 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:24 AM

I'm unfamiliar with the BBC iPlayer, is it a streaming video player ?

If so, HD video consumes a lot of bandwidth, if the problem with the chopiness occurs, drag the position slider back to the start of the video (usually there's a colored bar moving as the video is buffering/loading, like on YouTube). If the chopiness is occuring when the pointer is within the buffered area, then the problem lies with the hardware you're working on, otherwise your connection is struggling to keep up.

You could also double check the resolution of the HD video as these tend to range from 640 to 1080p, the higher the resolution, the larger the bandwidth consumption and the larger the strain on the cpu.

Flash player 10.1 has increased hardware acceleration, you could try upgrading if your current version is lower.

#3 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,116 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

Yes, more then likely your computer does not have the processing power to decode high definition video. I can't even watch videos beyond 480p on YouTube on my netbook but 1080p videos play just fine on my desktop.

Also streaming HD sucks ass if you don't have a beastly computer or are trying to do so on a wireless network connection.

Edited by AcousticSmash, 23 June 2010 - 07:01 AM.

#4 spacecrumbs

spacecrumbs
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,261 posts
  • Original Name: spacecrumbs

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

Iplayer is streaming content from the BBC yes. They also use a program which lets you download to watch later.

I've tried it both streaming and pre-downloaded. No difference, also noticed that when I downloaded a programme at a lower quality the same thing was happening at the end of it.

I don't really watch many things in HD so I still haven't come across any other content that does this. This plays perfectly on full screen in 1080p: http://www.youtube.c...?v=EVBsypHzF3U. I'm thinking maybe Iplayer is to blame.

#5 RonaldCica

RonaldCica
  • New
  • 11 posts
  • Original Name: RonaldCica

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

TV programs your watching that are good at the mo... Im watching Flashforward on Ch5 at the mo looks like its going to be an excellant series i dont watch mutch TV but deffo watches that... whats yours?

#6 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,354 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

TV programs your watching that are good at the mo... Im watching Flashforward on Ch5 at the mo looks like its going to be an excellant series i dont watch mutch TV but deffo watches that... whats yours?

I believe you'll be in for a disappointment. As far as I can remember Flashforward was cancelled after a couple of seasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...