- - - - -

Tight low end

1 reply to this topic

#1 munmun

munmun
  • 81 posts
  • Original Name: munmun

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

This has probably been discussed ad infinitum. But i am really frustrated with trying to get the low end right. Attached is a song that I finished mixing tonight called "In the name of Paradise."

http://www.facebook....pp_184781670305

It sounded good on my monitors, headphones, car stereo, ipod dock. But then I tried it on the high end system- namely combination of Denon amp with PSB speakers that I use for home theater. The low end was over done. The Denon is clearly tweaked to have a smiley curve. But it wrecks my mix and sounds boomy. Commercial mixes still have the over done bass but there is something tighter about the low end that I am not getting.

I have done everything by the book. Cut off frequencies below 100-150k for all tracks other than bass and kick. Used an appropriate (I think) amount of compression on the kick and bass. Hi passed all frequencies below 45hz. Boosted the mid-range on bass guitar and kick at appropriate frequencies to let them cut through. Yet the low end does not feel defined enough. What am I doing wrong?

#2 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts
  • Original Name: w00dy

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

if i was at a mixing desk with an old fashioned three pot eq, i'd roll the bass down (and maybe up the treble or mids - i defo have a twist to test it anyway) on the indivdual bassdrum and bass tracks till it 'feels' right
if i were playing around with it on a daw maybe id just try to tweak out the boom with a linear phase eq vst on the master channel (coz im lazy like that). if youve got a spectrum analyzer plugin this could well make the task easier

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

go on give it a listen, it's good.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...