Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:56 AM

I have a new PC (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, if that's important) and when I try to import a MIDI file into Cubase 5, it won't play. Or, should I say, it will play, but there is no sound coming out. I never had this problem with XP.

So anyone know what's up?

Thanks.

#2 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:06 PM

It's a long shot but maybe the MIDI file is fine and for some reasons it's the sound that's muted in the player Cubase 5 is using or wherever the sound's supposed to come from.

...... I know why I'm running XP :)

#3 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, there's definitely nothing wrong with the file. I've tried it on my other PC (the XP one) and it works ok. Also, no MIDI file will work on the new one. It's got to be something wrong with the VST instruments. Or to be precise, the HalionOne VST instrument. On the old PC it loads up fine. But on the new one it's not in the menu, even though it's installed :(

#4 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

VSTi can cause some problems but since the MIDI works on your old pc It's all good.

As long as your old pc is working no need to stress.

#5 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, but my old one is about to calve. Which is why I got a new one. So I need to get it working on the new one sooner rather than later.

#6 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

Ah okay I didn't know. See I try to imagine having that kind of problem myself with my sound editor (I don't have Cubase) and what I'd do. One trick I'd try would be to convert the MIDI to mp3, wav, or whatever and check if the sound works.

#7 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, I have no problem playing mp3 or wav files.

#8 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:49 PM

I don't use Cubase or anything, but I'm thinking you're not sending the MIDI data to a track. Especially as you mention Halion isn't available. Could you load in one of Cubase's software synthesizer on the MIDI track just to see if it will bleep out the tune the MIDI's supposed to be playing?

#9 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:55 AM

Sorry Igor. Can you run that by me again?

#10 Cuphands

Cuphands

-

• 13,374 posts
  • Original Name: igorski

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:08 PM

From the Google:

Open Cubase and go to "File," "Open Project," and select the project that you wish to add the MIDI file into from the list that appears.

Go back to "File," "Import," and then click on "MIDI File." Click "No" when asked if you want to save the MIDI file in a new project.

Choose the VST instrument that you wish to play the MIDI file by pressing "F11" on your computer keyboard and select it from the list that is generated. Verify that the "Show Inspector" tab on the left is illuminated, and you will be ready to play the MIDI file.

I'm thinking you assigned the MIDI file to a track, but without an instrument assigned to the track's channel strip, there is nothing there to generate sound from the MIDI ( MIDI is just an "instruction set" if you will, not a recording of sound, much like a music sheet ). So if that F11 shenanigan quoted above works, you should be able to assign a VST instrument to it, when in doubt, select one of the synths that ship with Cubase, just for the sake of hearing something, then you'll at least know that if there was a problem, it was related to this. If not, then we'll have to delve a little deeper. :(

edit:
Regarding the missing Halion, I just went to the bog ( details! ) and I have my subscriptions of Sound on Sound in there. This month's issue has a few pages on Cubase 6 along with a history map and it mentioned that between Cubase releases the pre-packaged version of Halion shrank, with all the features ( originally all available in Cubase 4, I think... ) only available in a separate version. So I'm thinking maybe that's why your old Halion settings won't work for you, assuming you not only switched computers, but also versions... :unsure:

#11 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

I don't get the last bit. "Verify that the "Show Inspector" tab on the left is illuminated."

I know you don't use Cubase, so you can't help there, but I no idea what that means.

As for the Halion VST, I got it working. When I installed Cubase on the new laptop, I forgot to install all the add-ons. But it's still not working :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...