- - - - -

Acoustic GigingUsing straight acoustic guitars and a mic apparatus for giging.

Acoustic Guitar Giging Microphone Apparatus Is It Sufficient tabulature Tabs

4 replies to this topic

#1 WantsToGig671

WantsToGig671
  • New
  • 1 posts
  • Original Name: WantsToGig671

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

For a while, my band has been using an acoustic guitar set-up. What we did was set up 5 mics. 2 per guitarist and 1 for our percussionist. The guitarists each had one on their guitars soundholes and the other to catch their voice. Our percussionist dosnt sing so he obviously dosnt need two mics. We find that our style dosnt need to many extras to sound good so we normally play without effects. My questions to you guys are do you guys find this system sufficient for a medium to large lobby in hotels? Should we invest in acoustic/electrics. What would you guys recommend in regards to a nice sounding PA with multiple mic jacks and what kind of mics catch acoustics well? Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

I'm not sure about the PA's, but for your mics, I'd get a Sure SM57 for the instruments, and SM58's for the voice.

#3 busyfingers

busyfingers
  • 5 posts
  • Original Name: Gavin Knowles

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

I've done some acoustic gigs with bands. reverb can cause feedback so try to use less and use what you can from the venue room naturally. I found using a sm57 pointed at the lower part of the neck to work really well. A DI box can be used to plug the acoustic direct if you have that option also. both can be used and balanced. piezo pickups with mic works nicely. gives a nice sound without feedback problems. if you just want to use the pickups and adjust the pa levels you can use a sound hole plug. this works also nicely. but all in all I found I got the best sound from miking and a sm57 or similar type directional mic was the way to go.

#4 Mark Marshall

Mark Marshall
  • 8 posts
  • Original Name: Mark Marshall

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Room shape will play a role in how well mics can work. Low ceilings can cause more reflections increasing chances for feedback. Also placement of speakers. Maker sure you are behind them. Are you using monitors? This also creates more likelihood of feedback. Of your just amplifying the sound of your instruments and don't need monitoring it should work fine. The more volume you need the more difficult its going to be.

#5 lowden

lowden
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Original Name: lowden

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is a good read, but remember that condenser mics tend to be harder to control regarding feedback, but do offer great clarity and tone. I have played live for many years with stage monitors and close to PA stacks with condenser mics, whilst mixing both front of house and monitors from the stage.... takes years of practice, but it is very controllable in a smaller acoustic band like you seem to be working with.  Stay behind the main PA and use as little level into monitors as possible.... you will hear a 'pre feedback' tonal change to your instrument or voice before 'critical mass feedback' so train your ear to hear the warning 'tones', and adjust slightly down to counter, or find the frequency that causes this 'feedback boom' and remove it with notch eq. I find a parametric eq essential kit on your audio desk, I use an outboard one in my onstage rack http://en.audiofanzi...y,m.424007.html

http://www.emusician...the-band/140546

http://soundschemati...-vs-graphic-eq/

http://www.cobaltaud...-parametric-eq/

Edited by lowden, 15 August 2013 - 03:47 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Acoustic, Guitar, Giging, Microphone, Apparatus, Is, It, Sufficient, tabulature, Tabs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...