- - - - -

Sopa and Pipa bills postponed ‎

RIAA MPAA copyright copyright infringement trademark piracy government freedom of speech censorship SOPA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#1 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,780 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: dorio

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:03 AM

http://edition.cnn.c...-act/index.html

The bill would authorize the U.S. Department of Justice to seek court orders against websites outside U.S. jurisdiction accused of infringing on copyrights, or of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement.

http://en.wikipedia....line_Piracy_Act

Tension is rising....

Update: http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-16655272

#2 Spongeyguy

Spongeyguy

Forum Sponge

• GZ Regular
  • 25,094 posts
  • Original Name: spongeyguy

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

I don't know much about it. I've only heard from the against-the-bill side.
Let's get dangerous!

#3 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

As far as I understand all those in favor obviously work or have financial interests in the entertainment business such as cinema music television and games their argument is they lose lots of money each year and that piracy ain't good for the economy. There are those that are in favor mainly for political reasons, and those that'd support it if the current version of the bill was tweaked.

#4 Blugh Grant

Blugh Grant

Played by Adrien Brody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,570 posts
  • Original Name: blueswannabe

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

Are there those who are in favor of allowing massive scale theft to go unchecked?
Posted Image

there seems to be an objective reality that a determined individual can penetrate if he is willing to challenge the confining chimeras of markets and machines

It was written that I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice

http://theonlythingy...d.blogspot.com/

#5 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

Those that don't support this bill are not necessarily pro-piracy, there are very strong Internet-based companies that do not support the bill in it's current form. Seems like they suggested to combat digital piracy without giving license to shut down legitimate websites but the idea was rejected. Looks like the Internet vs the 'real world'.

#6 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

I'm a pyrotechnician, if you see me running, try to keep up

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts
  • Original Name: gusdotcom

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:53 AM

Are there those who are in favor of allowing massive scale theft to go unchecked?

It's mainly about the way piracy is being countered in the bill. It's a scary bill because it gives private companies the ability to censor the internet, something they should not be allowed to do.

:blink:

GTUer of the week 7th-13th of February 2005
Owner of 227.5 Major-Points and 45 Igorski Points

#7 Seán

Seán

the one that slowly burns

• GZ Regular
  • 20,654 posts
  • Original Name: seanpopowczak

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

entertainment companies should buy into computer hardware companies. they can make their money back on the sales of bigger and bigger harddrives that are needed to store all of the things people are downloading.

everyone is bitches

#8 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

entertainment companies should buy into computer hardware companies. they can make their money back on the sales of bigger and bigger harddrives that are needed to store all of the things people are downloading.

In Sweden we have something called "cassette fee" where the music industry forced a small fee to be paid for each blank compact cassette that was sold. This to compensate for the very much legal activity of private copying, the right to make a copy for private use of music that I've bought. It was later expanded to include VCR cassettes, blank CD-R and DVD-Rs. The later is stupid because they are used for so much more than just music. The latest stroke of genius is to include external HDDs and USB drives in the fee so an external HDD will be about €8 more expensive so that the industry can get compensated for an imaginary loss from something that is legal. The scary thing is that they get away with it. The organisation that administrates it is not exactly transparent so we don't really know where the money disappears. What is clear is that neither the music nor the movie industry is in any real financial problems.

So if they are still making billions and at the same time claims to be losing billions due to internet pirates, how much money were they screwing us on before p2p?

#9 SmashySmashy

SmashySmashy
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,118 posts
  • Original Name: AcousticSmash

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

In Sweden we have something called "cassette fee" where the music industry forced a small fee to be paid for each blank compact cassette that was sold. This to compensate for the very much legal activity of private copying, the right to make a copy for private use of music that I've bought. It was later expanded to include VCR cassettes, blank CD-R and DVD-Rs. The later is stupid because they are used for so much more than just music. The latest stroke of genius is to include external HDDs and USB drives in the fee so an external HDD will be about €8 more expensive so that the industry can get compensated for an imaginary loss from something that is legal. The scary thing is that they get away with it. The organisation that administrates it is not exactly transparent so we don't really know where the money disappears. What is clear is that neither the music nor the movie industry is in any real financial problems.

So if they are still making billions and at the same time claims to be losing billions due to internet pirates, how much money were they screwing us on before p2p?

Unfortunately for them, businesses practises like that are becoming less common as the digital distribution method becomes more popular. Give it another 5 to 10 years and everything will be digital media, the number of places where you will be able to buy hard copies of movies or music will dwindle out. Not only is digital distribution cheaper, it's more convenient. If it wasn't for the fact that high def movies took up so much data space, plus bandwidth caps hinder monthly downloads, I'd say that even HD movies will go by the way side. Maybe not for the hardcore film lover, but DVD's evidently will vanish along with CD's in time.

#10 Seán

Seán

• GZ Regular
  • 20,654 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Bunch of Swedish facts.

i had mostly been joking there, but when i thought about it it was more of like buying shares or something and just reaping the benefits of regular sales, not an additional fee tagged onto everything. that's messed up that they can do that. i guess there aren't laws against that sort of thing?

everyone is bitches

#11 gusdotcom

gusdotcom

• GZ Regular
  • 39,801 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

Bunch of Swedish facts.

i had mostly been joking there, but when i thought about it it was more of like buying shares or something and just reaping the benefits of regular sales, not an additional fee tagged onto everything. that's messed up that they can do that. i guess there aren't laws against that sort of thing?

The messed up thing is that there's a law specifically giving them the right to do that. Although expanding it to hard drives and flash drives is stretching it because the law says they can take a fee for media primarily used for private copies. External hard drives and USB flash drives are not primarily for storing music. I use all my for backup purposes. It's going to court.

#12 myfinalheaven

myfinalheaven

The Infernal Bridegroom

• GZ Regular
  • 22,487 posts
  • Original Name: myfinalheaven

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Canada has the same laws. We pay much more for blank media than we should.
And say why it never worked on me.
Something to do with violence
A long way back, and wrong rewards,
And arrogant eternity.

#13 Seán

Seán

• GZ Regular
  • 20,654 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

on the upside we don't have the download policing as much as some other places.

everyone is bitches

#14 myfinalheaven

myfinalheaven

The Infernal Bridegroom

• GZ Regular
  • 22,487 posts
  • Original Name: myfinalheaven

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Not yet.
And say why it never worked on me.
Something to do with violence
A long way back, and wrong rewards,
And arrogant eternity.

#15 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:30 AM

What is clear is that neither the music nor the movie industry is in any real financial problems.

There is one crisis that's the reason why the industry demands draconian laws like this one. It's true that they don't sell billions of CDs like they used to. Look at the major record companies they're going out of business. However I don't think file sharing is the only cause of this decline. It seems to me that people buy less CDs than before because nowaday's mainstream music is shit.

And since most people who still buy CDs they buy them online the music stores are disappearing rather fast. Small stores were the first to go there are not many left. Now it's the big ones turn they close or they change owners who will sell DVD Blu-Ray videogames but no CDs. CD is dying.

Regarding the film industry millions of people are still going to cinema... at least that's not dead yet.

#16 wooooogiecrisp

wooooogiecrisp

breakfast of schmucks

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,972 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: woggie

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

What is clear is that neither the music nor the movie industry is in any real financial problems.

There is one crisis that's the reason why the industry demands draconian laws like this one. It's true that they don't sell billions of CDs like they used to. Look at the major record companies they're going out of business. However I don't think file sharing is the only cause of this decline. It seems to me that people buy less CDs than before because nowaday's mainstream music is shit.

And since most people who still buy CDs they buy them online the music stores are disappearing rather fast. Small stores were the first to go there are not many left. Now it's the big ones turn they close or they change owners who will sell DVD Blu-Ray videogames but no CDs. CD is dying.

Regarding the film industry millions of people are still going to cinema... at least that's not dead yet.

dont be smashy

at least you posted it as in your oponion and not as a factual statement so nevermind

Follow @McWoggie to the gates of Hell. We're gonna ding-dong ditch them!

#17 James_Coolidge

James_Coolidge

Faithfucked Believer

• GZ Regular
  • 26,502 posts
  • Original Name: James_Coolidge

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

I think the way music is sold has changed. Albums used to be a good collection of music. Now everything is single based, and albums are just a shuttle for those one or two big songs. Not to mention the ability to just buy individual songs...

9fPfK.jpg

I can't think of anything to say,
Except, I think it's marvelous...

http://reesehoegashimself.bandcamp.com

#18 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

Now everything is single based, and albums are just a shuttle for those one or two big songs.

Exactly. This is the big problem with CDs... couple of nice songs and all the rest are fillers.

Woggie you're the first north American from the United States of America to post in this thread. I started to wonder why only Canadians and Europeans posted here. And for the mainstream shit yes of course it's my opinion but I'm not the only one who thinks that. In 2011 there was not much for me as far as mainstream is concerned.

#19 James_Coolidge

James_Coolidge

Faithfucked Believer

• GZ Regular
  • 26,502 posts
  • Original Name: James_Coolidge

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

We're all terribly embarrassed by SOPA.

9fPfK.jpg

I can't think of anything to say,
Except, I think it's marvelous...

http://reesehoegashimself.bandcamp.com

#20 dorio

dorio

Editor in Chief®

• Ombudsman
  • 17,780 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

I know the feeling Reese: HADOPI is not something to be proud of either!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RIAA, MPAA, copyright, copyright infringement, trademark, piracy, government, freedom of speech, censorship, SOPA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...