- - - - -

Budget pedals?Do you think budget pedals are good?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guitar-2-D-2

Guitar-2-D-2
  • New
  • 2 posts
  • Original Name: Guitar-2-D-2

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

To start off, I own quite a few. I think you just need to find the right ones and do research on them to get the good ones. Whats your favorite budget pedal? Are they any good in your opinion?

#2 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:39 AM

If you're talking about value for money, the Boss DS1 is easily my favourite.

Having said that, I never use it these days. But for a beginner on a budget, it's a very safe bet.

#3 Matt B

Matt B

Matt

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,304 posts
  • Original Name: matt_theripper

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:42 AM

I have several Mooer and Joyo pedals that I gig with all the time.  In fact, there is only one pedal on my board that I paid more than $100 for, an MXR Carbon Copy delay.  My other pedals are all cheaper.  I own 5 Mooers and use 3 of them on a regular basis (I use the Blues Crab, Hustle Drive and Trellicopter and own a Flex Drive and Blue Faze).  The Mooers cost $88 new, but can generally be had on ebay for $35-55.  I plan on picking up a few more Mooers, I really like them. 

The Blues Crab is a fantastic low-gain, transparent overdrive, and while it can be picky about which amps it likes, with the right amp it is amazing.  The Trellicopter is the best tremolo pedal I've ever used, and I've gone through quite a few.  I also have the EHX Soul Food ($65) and love it as another low-gain, transparent overdrive.  It's got a different sound than the Blues Crab, so I keep both on my board. 

My MXR Custom Modified Bad*** Overdrive was $60-70 new.  And I have two Joyos ($35 new) on my board as well, a Sweet Baby and a Roll Boost.  The Roll Boost is fine, it's a simple clean boost, so it does what it needs to.  The Sweet Baby is a nice Fender Tweed style overdrive.  Very saggy, and it responds very well to changes in your playing dynamics or adjustments of the volume knob. 

Budget pedals definitely have their place, and some searching can find you some absolute gems that even a higher priced boutique pedal might be hard pressed to match (mostly thinking of my Trellicopter here).

#4 Dave C

Dave C
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,516 posts
  • Original Name: Dave C

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:01 AM

You do pay for names on pedals. There are some very good budget pedals about

#5 TheInertials

TheInertials
  • 6 posts
  • Original Name: TheInertials

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Behringer has some amazing pedals out, considering the under $30 pricetag .

#6 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:15 PM

I've heard great things about Danelectro pedals.

#7 TheInertials

TheInertials
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

They are pretty good! I have had the Danelectro Fab Tone, Fab Distortion, Milkshake chorus, Fab Delay, and two Fish n Chips EQ pedals. The food themed ones sound fine but the case design definitely isn't the best because the whole bottom of the pedal is held on with just one single plastic screw. And that's where the battery goes. So I found that after a couple battery changes I had stripped the screw on mine and the bottom always fell off after that. As far as the others go they are a great value For what they are.

#8 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:35 AM

Yeah, to be fair, I did hear they were quite flimsy. But as you say, it's all about how much you pay. For 30 quid, getting a good sound at the expense of flimsiness isn't necessarily a bad thing.

For example, I think Boss pedals are a bit overrated as far as tone goes, (when you're paying up near the 100 quid mark) and they don't have true bypass, but you could drop an atom bomb on them and they'll still work.

#9 TheInertials

TheInertials
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

I love the Boss pedal design! They are super rugged and the housing is engineered with the everyday guitarist in mind. The battery compartment is right under the top, so if you have velcroed your pedal down on a board, or if you just have it connected to other pedals, you donthave to disconnect everything to flip it over to change the battery. I started using AC power a long time ago but I appreciate the thought that went into this.

#10 TheInertials

TheInertials
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

Oh and to keep the thread on topic, used Boss pedals turn out to be pretty well priced, at least here in the US. And the DS-1 that was mentioned earlier is pretty good. My favorite is the tuner though. I have a TU2 that is probably 15 years old now and going strong.
Oh and to keep the thread on topic, used Boss pedals turn out to be pretty well priced, at least here in the US. And the DS-1 that was mentioned earlier is pretty good. My favorite is the tuner though. I have a TU2 that is probably 15 years old now and going strong.

#11 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

The TU2 is brilliant in the sense you can run your power supply through it to power everything else, including non-Boss pedals.

#12 TheInertials

TheInertials
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:13 PM

Yeah it has a lot of surprises like that. The other one is using the Output and Bypass jacks to achieve a stereo signal where you can mute one side. (Since the "output" is actually controlled by the footswitch--the bypass isn't). I've used this to do a thing where I run one signal clean out from the output jack, through an octave pedal, and into a bass amp, and then send the bypass signal to my guitar signal like normal. Let's me turn on/off a fat low end to whatever I'm playing, if I want.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...