65 replies to this topic

#41 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts
  • Original Name: w00dy

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:04 AM

my problem with ridley scott is he's purely a visually emotive guy. yeah it looks fantastic, but when the script is poor (ahem... prometheus) it just results in a shit film that looks good. remember namco whatsherfaceapace and aileen theron running away from the space ship as it fell down? even the worlds most atmospheric director should have twigged that was a terrible cliché and asked for a rewrite. i'd rather watch the seven minute long oner of clerks or the di-optic split screen noodlings of reservoir dogs - they too both don't work, but the script underpinning the mistake (and we all make 'um) is solid enough for us to not even really notice.

also gladiator, it's a bag of wank. take a classical epic, remove all the emotion, green screen in some tigers and you're essentially left with russell crowe pulling swords out of extras armpits. wank!

Edited by w00dy, 23 September 2015 - 01:08 AM.

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

go on give it a listen, it's good.

#42 maungabluesy

maungabluesy

Looking out a window that isn't there

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: exbluesyousonofabitchmajor

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:51 AM

I've got a real soft spot for Kingdom of heaven
c0dbbba7-6a32-4bda-887e-db2eac32d0af.jpg

#43 Seán

Seán

the one that slowly burns

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,654 posts
  • Original Name: seanpopowczak

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:04 AM

How does Reservoir Dogs not work?

everyone is bitches

#44 spacecrumbs

spacecrumbs
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,367 posts
  • Original Name: spacecrumbs

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:49 AM

my problem with ridley scott is he's purely a visually emotive guy. yeah it looks fantastic, but when the script is poor (ahem... prometheus) it just results in a shit film that looks good. remember namco whatsherfaceapace and aileen theron running away from the space ship as it fell down? even the worlds most atmospheric director should have twigged that was a terrible cliché and asked for a rewrite. i'd rather watch the seven minute long oner of clerks or the di-optic split screen noodlings of reservoir dogs - they too both don't work, but the script underpinning the mistake (and we all make 'um) is solid enough for us to not even really notice.

also gladiator, it's a bag of wank. take a classical epic, remove all the emotion, green screen in some tigers and you're essentially left with russell crowe pulling swords out of extras armpits. wank!

Noomi Whatsherpace was really good I thought.

I want to add Crispin Glover to my list, and Noomi Whatherspace because I reckon she's gonna go far.

#45 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

I've got a real soft spot for Kingdom of heaven

yeah so have i actually. there are a few of his films that are genuinely brilliant - what I'm saying is he doesn't seem to concern himself so much with the script (except when he's saying he doesn't want russell crowe snogging his wife - goodbye love story element), rather he trusts the choices of those he surrounds himself with to do their jobs while he does his of telling the story visually.

scott doesn't really ever make mistakes like smiths oner or using the wrong type of lens, the film bit of his films are often perfect - but as artists are always chasing time, compromises have to be made at some point. i don't think scott has always made the wisest of choices in the compromises that have been made - look at how many cuts of blade runner there have been (even the most die hard scott fan will have to admit it wasn't just the dodgy narration that hurt the original release)

Edited by w00dy, 23 September 2015 - 11:54 AM.

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

#46 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

How does Reservoir Dogs not work?

no the film obviously does work. what i am referring to is a technique tarantino uses to get a close up (of mr blonde i think but i'm sketchy...) and a middle distance full body shot (of mr orange or mr white) both in focus, by using a camera lens that is split down the middle to offer two different focal points. most dp's would and do instead just choose to compromise the finer details of the shot by getting the entire frame in focus (maybe by reducing the size of the aperture - which requires more light - or using a wide angle lens - which can distort the image, think go pro fat&pointy head footage-  or a a less extreme combo of the two. there are a multiple ways of achieving this). the trade off for keeping the (often unnecessary) finer detail by using a split di-optic lens is a distracting line of image blur, where the two focal ranges each meet to become the other, running through the centre of the image. you'll notice that tarantino doesn't seem to like the choice he made either because it's not a technique he used in any of his other films (that i can think of)

Edited by w00dy, 23 September 2015 - 11:53 AM.

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

#47 Major Major

Major Major

Dark Lord of all

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts
  • Original Name: Jay Gatsby

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

Agreed

K1of1-4_zps6a0bcc15.jpg

Ad infernum cum melioribus.

#48 GracehasQuitGoodbye!

GracehasQuitGoodbye!
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Original Name: Gone Gone

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:39 AM

Directors....
Robert Rodriguez love desperado..maybe because I am one. I had salama hayeks dress..till my mum thre wit out, bought a copy of it, she said it was too...sassy for my age range...lol! been an early teen.

tarentino --that dance scene in pulp fiction and he's playing link wray in the film. I can't argue with his taste in music.

John Woo hard target slow mo scenes yes please!

Actors
Johnny Depp because he's fit...umm what did he say? plus met him that guys cool! he said while eating a sandwhich at a coffee bar after I stared at him, " be careful don't fall under that bus now," as I was walking across the road, sarcastically smiled and said it in a willy wonka toned voice. thanks for that! got smile wave! he was just being funny. because I was eyeing him up too hard whoops!
Richard Gere because he's hot in pretty woman...what did he say again? and he scrubs up well in officer and a gentleman.
Julia Roberts because she's not a bad actress -- ERin Brockovich

'kingdom of heaven' omgd.... don't get me started he was the elf in L.O.T.R I walked past him once got a smile nearly fell flat on my face. we get a fe win our town about. somewhere to hide, just not form me, too many trees benches bushes for me to wear my primark macs in. got to love january sales!

Edited by GraceUK, 23 September 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#49 James_Coolidge

James_Coolidge

Faithfucked Believer

• GZ Regular
  • 26,502 posts
  • Original Name: James_Coolidge

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

I have actively disliked Julia Roberts since I was like four years old. She's been in some good films though.

9fPfK.jpg

I can't think of anything to say,
Except, I think it's marvelous...

http://reesehoegashimself.bandcamp.com

#50 mandible

mandible
  • GZ Regular
  • 22,972 posts
  • Original Name: mandible

Posted 18 October 2015 - 11:09 AM

I'm just going to name some actors I like that I didn't spot on scrolling - Anthony Hopkins. Ed Norton, John Malkovich, Alan Rickman, Jack Nicholson.

In Empire's Top 100 Greatest Actors of All Time in 2010, Anthony Hopkins didn't appear, but Viggo Mortensen, David Tennant and Nicholas Cage did. 

Christ...

Posted Image

#51 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,503 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:03 AM

I'm just going to name some actors I like that I didn't spot on scrolling - Anthony Hopkins. Ed Norton, John Malkovich, Alan Rickman, Jack Nicholson.

In Empire's Top 100 Greatest Actors of All Time in 2010, Anthony Hopkins didn't appear, but Viggo Mortensen, David Tennant and Nicholas Cage did. 

Christ...

In your absence, I had assumed you were banned. Again.

Still, welcome back.

#52 spacecrumbs

spacecrumbs
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,367 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

Christ...

Cause he's shit.

Edited by crumbs, 19 October 2015 - 04:05 AM.

#53 mandible

mandible
  • GZ Regular
  • 22,972 posts
  • Original Name: mandible

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

Christ...

Cause he's shit.

YOU'RE SHIT.

Posted Image

#54 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

to be fair... since hannibal the channelable, he's done odin, odin in a white suit being a bit forgetful, odin owns a brewery, odin as an old spy, odin as an old granddad and alfred hitchcock 

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

#55 maungabluesy

maungabluesy

Looking out a window that isn't there

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,046 posts
  • Original Name: exbluesyousonofabitchmajor

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

And the baby in family guy
c0dbbba7-6a32-4bda-887e-db2eac32d0af.jpg

#56 spacecrumbs

spacecrumbs
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,367 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

Christ...

Cause he's shit.

YOU'RE SHIT.

Yes, but no-one's claiming otherwise.

#57 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:15 PM

Christ...

Cause he's shit.

YOU'RE SHIT.

mandy how long since you've been here? not to dredge up news but ... in case... there was some news some older members might not have gotten... ... 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#58 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:59 PM

it's that anthony hopkins is shit

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

#59 Major Major

Major Major

Dark Lord of all

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:12 PM

He's not versitile. But he's by no means a poor actor

K1of1-4_zps6a0bcc15.jpg

#60 Major Major

Major Major

Dark Lord of all

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Grim Fandango is a lost masterpiece.

K1of1-4_zps6a0bcc15.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...