A smarter way to practice guitar chords

guitar learning chords frustration beginner

6 replies to this topic

#1 guitarstrings23

guitarstrings23
  • 3 posts
  • Original Name: guitarstrings23

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:37 AM

I’m developing a new training method that could make chord practice much easier.  It’s an online tool where you enter the chords you already know (or are working on).  And the tool tells you all the songs that use those exact same chords.

If you’re working on chords A, B, and C – you can begin playing all those songs that use (and only use) ABC, AB, AC, BC, A, B, and C.

When you’re ready to tackle new material, the tool recommends what chord to learn next (based on the chords you already know).  Learning chord D, for example, will unlock the most new songs in the database.  So now you can practice songs that use ABCD, ABD, ACD, BCD, AD, BD, CD, AB, AC, BC, A, B, C, D.

This means that at any given time, you’re only “practicing” 1 new chord.  All the others are already in your comfort zone.

Right now, the tool is free.  And I’m opening it up for beta testing so I can collect feedback from real guitarists (beginners and veterans alike).

#2 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,020 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

Not a bad idea.

(Actually when teaching a relative beginner who has gained some chord familiarity probably the first tune I give them to practice is "Hey Joe" because in its basic form it uses all the "open" chords C, G, D, A and E.)

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#3 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,480 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:11 AM

Not a bad idea.

(Actually when teaching a relative beginner who has gained some chord familiarity probably the first tune I give them to practice is "Hey Joe" because in its basic form it uses all the "open" chords C, G, D, A and E.)

Hey Joe. Brilliant. Never thought of using that one before for beginners.

I’m developing a new training method that could make chord practice much easier.  It’s an online tool where you enter the chords you already know (or are working on).  And the tool tells you all the songs that use those exact same chords.

If you’re working on chords A, B, and C – you can begin playing all those songs that use (and only use) ABC, AB, AC, BC, A, B, and C.

When you’re ready to tackle new material, the tool recommends what chord to learn next (based on the chords you already know).  Learning chord D, for example, will unlock the most new songs in the database.  So now you can practice songs that use ABCD, ABD, ACD, BCD, AD, BD, CD, AB, AC, BC, A, B, C, D.

This means that at any given time, you’re only “practicing” 1 new chord.  All the others are already in your comfort zone.

Right now, the tool is free.  And I’m opening it up for beta testing so I can collect feedback from real guitarists (beginners and veterans alike).

I like the sound of this. Best of luck with it.

#4 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,713 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:42 AM

always using hey joe for the kids. 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#5 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,480 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:29 AM

There is a flaw though. Most kids these days don't know Hey Joe. Hell, most of them don't even know who Jimi Hendrix was.

(Yes, I know Hendrix only covered it).

#6 dadfad

dadfad

dadfad

• Ombudsman
  • 28,020 posts
  • Original Name: dadfad

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:18 AM

You're right, Neal. And then for so much of the music today all you need to learn on the guitar is how to make pick-scrape skrittchy-scratch noises on a wound-string in time with an electronic drum-track!

Or strum a couple of minor chords (while you pour your heart out about how some girl or the entire world has done you wrong and you're in so much pain. :sadbuttrue: ).

Actually, I'm lucky that most of my students, even the younger ones, have known who Hendrix is, probably helped by the fact that since they wanted to know how to play guitar (as opposed to learning to use a dual-turntable) they were more inclined to be into guitar-intensive music styles.

I don't have a lot of students, maybe just a few dozen over the years. I have two right now which is kind of unusual, a thirty-something classic-rock electric bass player who wants to learn pre-war ragtime guitar (and work with it on upright bass) and a fourteen year old kid who's main musical interests are fifties rock'n'roll and rockabilly.

(Once many years ago I was eating in a restaurant and I was pretty sure Scotty Moore was eating by himself at the next table. Finally I asked him and he said he was. I told him I really admired his stuff, etc, etc. He opened his briefcase and autographed a picture to me, then reached in his pocket and with a handful of coins were a few guitar-picks which he gave me. They had his name engraved on them.)

When the kid first started taking lessons (he was a half step away from being a dead-beginner, being able only to make a very poor G and C chord and strum horribly out of rhythm!) he mentioned Moore was one of his favorites (along with Eddie Cochran). Now he's able to play a fairly clean reasonable shuffle rhythm in the keys of E or A (and of course chord cleanly through "Hey Joe" :lol: ). I gave him a Scotty-pick which he thought was totally great. (I've kept the only one that showed playing wear on it for myself in one of my scrapbooks!)

"Hell, most of them don't even know who Jimi Hendrix was."

But there's still a glimmer of hope, Neal!

Un-plugged is not the same as never-was-plugged-in-to-begin-with.

jacksontz.jpg

John Jackson -My Teacher and My Old Friend

When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there...

#7 Grandpa FrankyZ

Grandpa FrankyZ

What is your conceptual continuity?

• GZ Regular
  • 29,993 posts
  • Original Name: frankyz84

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:20 AM

I have been using Billy Roberts version of Hey Joe, ever since i have been teaching. I also use that version when i perform it. :)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guitar learning, chords, frustration, beginner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...