Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

I have a 1982 (i think) Marshall JCM 800 4210 50 watt amp that produces a lot of background noise, loud hum which is noticeably worse at higher volumes and higher gain levels. I'm useless with soldering joints, know nothing about tubes (although they've been replaced in the last 6 months). It's also much worse when I plug my Telecaster into it. Whereas my Les Paul isn't as bad. Obviously this is due to the singlecoils in the Tele, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Has anyone any idea what's causing this?

#2 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

Depends where it's being played.

A lot of electronics surrounding the guitar or amp could be the culprti. Florescent lighting in proximaty (even in other rooms or on the same electrical circuit) could be an issue, along with computers in the same room and tv's can all give interferance.

The Les Paul has "Hum Buckers" which try to cancel out the hum by having the opposite waveform fed into the same signal from each pickup half, or some such wizardry, which is why the singlecoil hums more.

It could also be leads, pedals or power supplies adding hum....

Theres a significant number of possibilities.

#3 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,502 posts
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

Well when I'm gigging there's definitely going to be a lot of electronic stuff surrounding it :lol:

It happens in various locations so its nothing to do with florescent bulbs or PCs nearby.

It also happens when I plug in direct, ie without going through my pedalboard. Although it's not as bad.

On a seperate note, I usually plug into a Boss TU2 tuner > Dunlop Crybaby wah > MXR compressor (this definitely makes it worse when it's on) > MXR distortion > Digitech Whammy > Boss BF3 flanger > EVH MXR Phase90 > Boss DD3 Delay. I was thinking of getting a noise suppressor. Would this be a good idea do you you reckon? I'm not really sure about how to set one up. I believe they work on a loop, eliminating noise from certain pedals only but I'm clueless as to how it should be set up and which pedals I should set it up with.

#4 mistymountainhop

mistymountainhop

Misty

• Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts
  • Original Name: mistymountainhop

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hmm, you could look at shielding the guitars cavities, that might go a bit of a way to help.

Noise suppressors will work, I've never really found one that didn't sacrifice a bit of tone though.

Better leads might help with keeping the noise down although it sounds like your compressor is amplifying hum coming from the start of the chain, so I'd look at the guitar first, and see if you can narrow down any other pedals individually or leads that might be adding to the hum.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...