- - - - -

Hanging out with fellow employees outside of work...

12 replies to this topic

#1 Fender2.0

Fender2.0

Brandon

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Original Name: fenderguitarfreak

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

That's kinda a no-go right? A couple fellow employees have asked me to hangout with them outside of work. Grab a beer, come to a bon-fire, blah blah.

The idea sounds nice. But quite frankly, I separate my life from work very well, and unless I'm friends with the person before we start working together, I try to avoid that sort of thing (especially if alcohol will be involved).

I'm the inventory manager for a corporate company that builds conveyors, ovens, proofers, and other sorts of assemblies for huge bakeries. There are a lot of employees, and like most places, there are a lot of bullshit politics.

Edited by FenderGuitarFreak2.0, 03 November 2016 - 03:03 PM.

------------------------------------------------

#2 Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Vulpes lagopus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,581 posts
  • Original Name: Graeme! Yes, Graeme!

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

I have made many good friends through work. Life is better when you work with people you like.

#3 crab man

crab man

no entiendo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,705 posts
  • Original Name: GilmourIsGod

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:25 PM   Best Answer

If I think we have similar lifestyles, things in common, I have no problem doing it. If I get any sense that it may end badly, I'll avoid it.

#4 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts
  • Original Name: w00dy

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:12 AM

i know my best mate through work.... but when i tell people he's my best mate, he just says "weve known each other a long time", the fucker. I've met loads of really good pals (not real friends, but more than just people you know) through work, whom i Facebook, and we'll all meet up occasionally and talk bollocks while getting drunk too. ahh but you say you're a manager. im just a workerturd. dunno if id like any operatic power dynamic to play a part in an office bromance tbh. but you know if you like someone any way don't you. yep you meet a person straight away and you know if they can be your pal as soon as they open their mouths. i suppose it doesn't matter where you meet them though does it?

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

go on give it a listen, it's good.

#5 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,502 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:25 AM

One of my best and closest friends is a lady from work. I never thought it was possible for me to be close mates with a girl, but there you go.

#6 spacecrumbs

spacecrumbs
  • GZ Regular
  • 28,367 posts
  • Original Name: spacecrumbs

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

I never got asked to hang out with fellow employees which suits me as I have to be around those people all week anyway.

#7 Herr Rararr

Herr Rararr

Herr to the throne...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: Herr Rararr

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:16 AM

It's a fine line. It's all so individual - I have no desire to spend time with the majority of people I work with, simply because I spend about 60 hours a week with them already and I just want to hang out with my little guy and wife when I'm off work. Or play music with my friends - but then that's how I ended up in a band, was through a client at work.  He invited me out for a drink and I went thinking it was corporate hospitality and it was clear that he was just being nice to someone new to a foreign country.  Honestly, moving to a new country and working full time, work is the only place you meet people at first.

A tip though - don't act in a way you wouldn't act at work before you get to know them outside of work first

Herr Who?

Posted Image

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo - music

"I used to be a legend but then I slipped into mediocrity..."

#8 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:29 AM

A tip though - don't act in a way you wouldn't act at work before you get to know them outside of work first

snoresville. spike them with ketamine and leave them with an arsehole like a clowns pocket

its funny y'know, when i was 16 getting a girl black out drunk and shagging her was bad but it wasnt evil. today, if someone did that to a girl i cared about i'd want murderise them. 

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

#9 Herr Rararr

Herr Rararr

Herr to the throne...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:45 AM

Evolution.  50 years ago it was normal to imprison someone for being gay. 40 years ago it was normal to watch TV show's with blackface on.  30 years ago it was normal to think that only gay people could get AIDS. 20 years ago it was normal to have East 17 in the charts.   We' evolved.

Arse like a wizard's sleeve....

Herr Who?

Posted Image

#10 w00dy

w00dy
  • GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,375 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:03 AM

well im 41 and i don't remember my mum "blacking up" to watch coronation street, pal

all that evolutioning and donald trump is a national coin toss away from winning the nuclear launch codes. id be happier if it were a lottery

Edited by w00dy, 04 November 2016 - 05:08 AM.

------->Numbers<-------

^^latest musics^^

#11 Herr Rararr

Herr Rararr

Herr to the throne...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:08 AM

The Black & White Minstrel Show only stopped in 1978, buddy.

It is weird though, you'll watch re-runs of any sitcom, certainly up until the late 90's and racial stereotyping/caricaturing was hugely common.

Herr Who?

Posted Image

#12 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,771 posts
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:43 AM

My work relationships are all over the place. I trained one of the senior managers at a previous (comparable) job and he brought me here. I work in the logistics end of the business, but he was my previous manager and friend. Two of the people who work down the hall in recruitment are former staff from when I was an office manager, and we still hang out a bunch. Even my boss was once my employee and some of the other guys were my employees as well (our head data clerk was my secretary for a few years). I tend to not party too much downtown since I live in the north end, so whoever has cars is my friend at this point. 

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#13 Fender2.0

Fender2.0

Brandon

• GZ Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts
  • Original Name: fenderguitarfreak

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:04 PM

Fair enough.  Good advice.

I like these guys which is why I'm inclined to hang out with them outside of work, obviously. Two of the more level headed and easy going dudes out in the shop. They don't care too much about the politics and gossip, which is why I think it would be fine to hang out outside of work.

I worked restaurant/bar for about 4 years of my life, and even though there tends to be a lot of drama and politics that are involved in that industry, there was never a true line as far as hanging out with fellow employees. Mainly because you work late hours with these people in a setting where alcohol is constantly around, plus no one was shy to smoke pot with each other considering 99% of the employees and managers smoked. I'm still pretty close with several people I worked with at that time.

I tried hanging out with a another fellow employee at my last warehouse job. We got drunk at a couple gatherings, and we told each other a few things about how we truly felt about our job. It came back and bit me in the ass, because I ended up disliking this fellow whom I drank and worked with...but he knew too much about me, and I knew too much about him, so we were constantly ice skating around each other.

Obviously, I won't let anything like that happen again.

Thanks for the input.

------------------------------------------------

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...