#1 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,720 posts
  • Donator:No
  • Original Name: sixgunsound

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

I've added the year to this to bring the topic up to date. There are a few other threads, but figured we'd leave old information where it belongs. 

I'm buying a multi effects pedal! The first one I bought was a Korg Toneworx back in 1999. I loved it and beat it to death. I haven't used anything beyond an overdrive pedal since. 

I've been considering the Zoom G3 as I've heard good things. I also am considering a Boss Me80. 

What do I do? What's better? How to move.. forward?

Thanks for your advice!

funny-pilots-blooper-airplane-comedy-pic

#2 Herr Rararr

Herr Rararr

Herr to the throne...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts
  • Original Name: Herr Rararr

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

I've got an ME-80, got it three months ago.  Love it. Great for live, great for messing with sounds, easy to save banks etc. - loads of options. The only thing that can be a bit tough is making sure the levels remain consistent when effects are added, but that just takes practice and patience.

Herr Who?

Posted Image

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo - music

"I used to be a legend but then I slipped into mediocrity..."

#3 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,486 posts
  • Donator:Yes, Once
  • Original Name: nealmac

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

I have an old reliable ME-50 which I bought about 10 or 15 years ago. It's built like a tank. It's covered in knobs, as opposed to digital menus and this makes it really easy to figure out.

Nowadays, I only ever use for messing about at home. When playing live, I have a custom built board with individual stomp boxes. I just think the ME-50 is too "digital" sounding. And setting volume levels is much easier with individual units.

#4 Herr Rararr

Herr Rararr

Herr to the throne...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

I agree.  Where a multi-fx unit is great is if you're playing music you don't typically play/ covers / filling in for someone,  you can really shape your sound without splashing out for fx you're not going to use much (so for me with this metal band it's been perfect).

Something the ME-80 has been great for is learning the effects that I want to play with but am not ready to splash out on individual units - for example, pitch-shifter or delays.  The ME-80 has knobs everywhere too - which as you say is infinitely better than digital menus and way easier to play with while you're playing.  The other advantage of a multi-fx over stomps is that you can obviously have multiple pre-sets that utilize simultaneous effects and you can sequence to your performance.

I would love to make a custom board though, but at my guess so far I'm looking at approx $1200 and I don't got that!

Herr Who?

Posted Image

#5 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,720 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, I mean, I could shell out $1200 but I'm not really going to be playing it live. I figure that multi FX will be more of what I need. I'm really looking for someone to tell me either OMG YES BUY IT (or OMG DON'T DO IT) for the Boss ME80 or the Zoom G3. 

#6 Herr Rararr

Herr Rararr

Herr to the throne...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

ME80 OMG BUY IT

I like Boss pedals, I like their engineering. Also, it is sturdy.

Do it...

Herr Who?

Posted Image

#7 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,486 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:52 AM

I agree.  Where a multi-fx unit is great is if you're playing music you don't typically play/ covers / filling in for someone,  you can really shape your sound without splashing out for fx you're not going to use much (so for me with this metal band it's been perfect).

Something the ME-80 has been great for is learning the effects that I want to play with but am not ready to splash out on individual units - for example, pitch-shifter or delays.  The ME-80 has knobs everywhere too - which as you say is infinitely better than digital menus and way easier to play with while you're playing.  The other advantage of a multi-fx over stomps is that you can obviously have multiple pre-sets that utilize simultaneous effects and you can sequence to your performance.

I would love to make a custom board though, but at my guess so far I'm looking at approx $1200 and I don't got that!

Well the cost of the actual board itself is minimal. Probably cost me about €10 to make it. I also had to buy velcro for attaching the pedals and I used cable ties for keeping all cables tidy underneath the unit.

The pedals themselves are mostly all secondhand, bought on ebay and other similar sites. The power supply cost about €30. It's a bit overkill for what it needs to do, but it works well and it doesn't buzz or hum. Overall I reckon the entire project cost me about €800, mostly spent over a long period of time.

I attached a 4 point extension lead to the back, for the power supply and the Whammy (the Digitech Whammy uses it's own power supply at a very high voltage, so it can't be "daisy-chained"). This leaves 2 spare sockets. I usually plug my amp into 1 of them. Then it's just a matter of plugging the extension lead into a wall and everything is good to go. All I have to do is plug my guitar into to tuner and the delay to the amp. I have it set up as follows: Telecaster > Boss TU-2 tuner > Crybaby wah > MXR compressor > MXR distortion > Boss MT-2 Metalzone >Digitech Whammy > Boss BF-3 flanger > MXR Eddie Van Halen Phaser > Boss DD-3 delay > Marshall JCM800 112 combo.

Here's a few pics:

tXfm0ID.jpg

Eg91Ah4.jpg

iKEuYbA.jpg

SZ5qNSM.jpg

nVApKod.jpg

2j6aCzo.jpg

#8 Herr Rararr

Herr Rararr

Herr to the throne...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:12 AM

That's really nice, Neal - I had a jealousy gasp! Ha.

The effect I've really enjoyed playing with recently for it's fun whooshy noises is Tremolo. Really the multi-fx is a great way to learn.
Herr Who?

Posted Image

#9 Nealio

Nealio

Stuff

• Ombudsman
  • 35,486 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:05 AM

Whenever I think of tremolo, I always think of Boulevard of Broken Dreams and How Soon is Now. And then I try to think, is there any other songs that I like, even just a little, to warrant me buying a tremolo pedal. And then I think, Nah.

#10 sixgunsound

sixgunsound
  • Ombudsman
  • 38,720 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

So I bought a Boss GT8 for $50. Good deal. I like it a lot. 

Thanks for the input, boys. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please consider donating to GuitarZone.com.
With more and more people using ad blocking add-ons for browsers, ad revenue has plummeted.
If you can spare even US$5 it would mean a lot to help pay for GZ's monthly server bill.
Thank you to all. Cheers! --Rob

Method #1: PayPal

Click 'Donate' above
to donate with any
major credit card or
existing PayPal funds.

E-mail on record with PayPal
[ ]

Method #2: Bitcoin

Option A )  Scan Bitcoin QR Code

Scan above box with mobile phone, or click...

Option B )  Copy and Paste Bitcoin Address

13NA7exoZVPGBAxnKXcQAz35JQ5PvnhYDE  

Copy above address and paste into Bitcoin app...

Learn more about Bitcoin...